This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Nutcracker 2017

Saw a very fun Nutcracker last night. Lauren Lovette was a lovely Sugarplum Fairy, looking more sophisticated, and less young (I mean that in a good way) than usual. Tiler Peck, needless to say, blew it out of the park as Dewdrop. It's not just that she's technically brilliant. You get the sense that she thinks through every tiny detail, she takes everything seriously, every little moment is an integral part of the whole. Devin Alberda was a wonderfully energetic and "wooden" soldier. Daniel Ulbricht killed it with the hoop (although I will always miss Robert Fairchild's charm in this role). This was my first time seeing Roman Mejia in a featured role, Tea, and he delivered impressive leaps. The little boy playing Fritz was a real charmer. This is probably my last Nut of the season, although I'm tempted to see Lauren King and Joseph Gordon on Thursday. If it sells out, I'll do standing room.  

I was there for last night's Nutcracker. I was dismayed to see that Adrian Danchig-Waring seems still very much on his way to recovery after such a long injury. His dancing was slow and leaden. The snow corps also had a few bloopers, and in general no one was IMO dancing at 100%. A few exceptions: Savannah Lowery randomly pulled off a very good Coffee, and even did those bent leg pirouettes in the finale. Erica Pereira's Marzipan was great, maybe the best I saw all season. Danny Ulbricht's Candy Canes were wonderful -- so fast that I think he did 14 single hoop jumps instead of the usual 12.

18 hours ago, cobweb said:

... still eager for reports. Did anyone see Miriam Miller’s debut as Dewdrop?

Miriam Miller was delightful as Dewdrop. This was my first time seeing the variation. so I can't name the actual steps, but there was one part right in the middle where she seemed to get in trouble (involving a sequence of releve turns into attitude?), but recovered nicely. I'm definitely going to follow her development.

Maria Kowroski knocked it out of the park as SPF. Her supported promenade a la seconde alone was worth the price of the ticket. Everything she did was perfection. And those legs.... the most gorgeous arabesques on the planet.

Harrison Coll nailed the double hoop jumps.

The stereotypical hand and head movements were absent from the Tea variation, but I don't think it was a good idea to have the women wear yellow tights.

18 minutes ago, angelica said:

Miriam Miller was delightful as Dewdrop. This was my first time seeing the variation. so I can't name the actual steps, but there was one part right in the middle where she seemed to get in trouble (involving a sequence of releve turns into attitude?), but recovered nicely. I'm definitely going to follow her development.

Maria Kowroski knocked it out of the park as SPF. Her supported promenade a la seconde alone was worth the price of the ticket. Everything she did was perfection. And those legs.... the most gorgeous arabesques on the planet.

Harrison Coll nailed the double hoop jumps.

The stereotypical hand and head movements were absent from the Tea variation, but I don't think it was a good idea to have the women wear yellow tights.

You can familiarize yourself with the Balanchine Waltz of the Flowers as there are several YT clips:

19 minutes ago, cobweb said:

Thank you canbelto. I think we share a deep affection for Nut. 

It wasn't always so. I actually remember the first time I saw Mr. B's Nut. It was maybe 15 years ago? It was a rather dire performance. Yvonne Borree was having one of her bad nights, two snowflakes fell, one dropped her snowball and the entire corps had to dance around the dropped snowball, I don't remember who did Candy Canes but I do remember him tripping over the hoop. I was like "this is it?" and stayed away from Nut for years. I moved away from NYC for a few years. When I returned I bought a ticket to Nutcracker and it was a totally different experience. I remember it was Wendy as SPF.  I was astonished at how much tighter and neater the whole performance was. 

5 hours ago, cassieallison said:

I noticed he didn't dance much the the fall season and that he seems to be traveling quite a bit. It appears the engagement to Emilie Gerrity is off as he has scrubbed her from his social media. I wonder if that is why he is leaving?

I don't interpret his words as meaning that he is leaving.  He is merely retiring a particular role.

5 hours ago, cassieallison said:

I noticed he didn't dance much the the fall season and that he seems to be traveling quite a bit. It appears the engagement to Emilie Gerrity is off as he has scrubbed her from his social media. I wonder if that is why he is leaving?

I had taken notice of that too. It’s amazing how many relationships form and break apart within the company, NYCB especially. 

1 hour ago, Fleurfairy said:

I had taken notice of that too. It’s amazing how many relationships form and break apart within the company, NYCB especially. 

Not just male/female relationships. There's a couple male-male couples at NYCB that are no more judging by social media.

1 hour ago, abatt said:

I don't interpret his words as meaning that he is leaving.  He is merely retiring a particular role.

That may be so but it would be a bit odd to decide to retire a role a year in advance. Additionally, of the white tights roles done by DeLuz, Nutcracker is far from the most challenging. We'll have to wait and see. He seems to have a second career lined up. If he does retire sometime in the winter or spring season, I hope the send off is spectacular. Aside from his wonderful dancing, his partnering is amazing. 

11 hours ago, vipa said:

That may be so but it would be a bit odd to decide to retire a role a year in advance. Additionally, of the white tights roles done by DeLuz, Nutcracker is far from the most challenging. We'll have to wait and see. He seems to have a second career lined up. If he does retire sometime in the winter or spring season, I hope the send off is spectacular. Aside from his wonderful dancing, his partnering is amazing. 

Mearns announced on her social media that she will not dance Dewdrop again. This was her final season for that role.  

Back to DeLuz, he will probably retire either later this season or next season. But I'm sure he will get the full retirement gala, which he deserves.

Edited by abatt