This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Ratmansky Romeo & Juliet: Premiere Wed 22 Nov

mnacenani

In yesterday's Links there is a link to Iliona Landgraf's blog post about this production, in which she dedicates seven paragraphs to describe the physical production and the choices Ratmansky makes in detail:

It reminded me that Gounod, in his opera version of "Romeo et Juliette" also has Juliet awaken before Romeo succumbs to poison.

On 12/17/2017 at 12:26 PM, Quinten said:

Here is a sample of Obaztsova's Juliet plus a wonderful Romeo in Belyakov.

Obratzsova (sp?) is one ABT guest star I wouldn't mind seeing again in the theater!

I hope they release this on DVD.

Ratmansky has an interesting take on the ending - no PdD with rag-doll-dead-body of MacMillan, which is a relief. They hold the other's hand while taking the poison and then the knife. They have a few moments with both alive for an actual PdD. Suggests there might be some interesting twists earlier in the ballet.

Edited by California
On 12/18/2017 at 2:43 AM, California said:

Ratmansky has an interesting take on the ending - no PdD with rag-doll-dead-body of MacMillan, which is a relief

Jeez ...... where I come from we love walking around with the dead bodies of our beloveds, so for me the Ratmansky crash-bang sudden ending was a great letdown .... I was shocked !!  (:P:P)

A 40-some minute feature (in Russian) on the Ratmansky Romeo and Juliet at the Bolshoi with a lot of behind the scenes footage--including rehearsals with all three leading couples from the first run--and much in the way of commentary/interviews etc. Since I don't know Russian I sort of skipped about rather than watch from beginning to end, but I did enjoy the rehearsal footage and even without Russian one could infer something of Ratmansky's work with the dancers on details:

On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 6:43 PM, California said:

Obratzsova (sp?) is one ABT guest star I wouldn't mind seeing again in the theater!

I hope they release this on DVD.

Ratmansky has an interesting take on the ending - no PdD with rag-doll-dead-body of MacMillan, which is a relief. They hold the other's hand while taking the poison and then the knife. They have a few moments with both alive for an actual PdD. Suggests there might be some interesting twists earlier in the ballet.

To those of you who follow Obraztsova's social media:  Any update on whether or not she might be dancing one of the three January performances of the Ratmansky R&J? I'd be very surprised if she gets the cinemacast but one can hope against hope. She may not have performed this particular Juliet but she is a proven Juliet in other versions, if not the Juliet of our generation.

4 hours ago, CharlieH said:

To those of you who follow Obraztsova's social media:  Any update on whether or not she might be dancing one of the three January performances of the Ratmansky R&J? I'd be very surprised if she gets the cinemacast but one can hope against hope. She may not have performed this particular Juliet but she is a proven Juliet in other versions, if not the Juliet of our generation.

I'm not sure I think it doesn't matter whether she has danced this version -- clearly Ratmansky has particular demands -- but I'm a little confused anyway. I thought Obraztsova did dance one performance of the Ratmansky version in the initial run--wasn't the footage with Belyakov (posted by Quinten) from that performance?

54 minutes ago, Drew said:

I'd be very surprised if she gets the cinemacast but one can hope against hope

Dear Drew I very much hope the cinecast will feature Katya Krysanova so that members can judge for themselves what I thought was an incredible performance that I saw on November 22nd. Genya Obr. is known as a good Juliet and I wanted to see her but I came away so happy after seeing Krysanova.

1 hour ago, Quinten said:

It would be more correct to say that Obraztsova was ORIGINALLY cast for the Nov 26th performance.  She was asked to substitute for the dancers who were too exhausted to dance the Nov 24th performance and graciously did so.  Apparently to her surprise (as expressed in her Instagram), her original Nov 26 performance was then taken away from her so that Krysanova could keep her two performances. We'll never know what kind of machinations brought about that result, but to me it doesn't feel right.

I agree with Drew's assessment that Obratzsova may well be THE Juliet of her generation and would add that with all her accomplishments and at this time in her career she deserves to be cast in the broadcast.  ...

CharlieH made the comment about Obraztsova as the Juliet of her generation.  Based on what I have read and what I have seen on video, I would be very happy to see her dance the role in the broadcast.  But I personally haven't seen Obraztsova dance Juliet live or even much on video. So I would not care to make any sort of pronouncement of how she ranks among Juliets of her generation--except reporting on the views of others.

If it has already been decided Krysanova and Lantratov are dancing the broadcast then it's obvious enough why the the company leadership or indeed even Ratmansky would want to be sure they had a chance to dance two performances during this run.  Indeed, that seems to me the best evidence that they may be being thought of as the likely broadcast cast and Obraztsova and Belyakov ...not.  I imagine the fact that Lantratov is one the company's top men may play a role too in determining casting--Belyakov is newer on the scene. (Though Chudin, Obraztsova's original partner is also a senior male principal.) All of which is to say that no "machinations" need have been involved in the casting reshuffles...

If Obraztsova isn't the broadcast Juliet, then maybe she will be the broadcast Swanilda!! That would make me very happy. Oh...but I'm forgetting that my plan is to take Bolshoi broadcast casting as it comes...

Edited by Drew
14 hours ago, Quinten said:

It would be more correct to say that Obraztsova was ORIGINALLY cast for the Nov 26th performance.  She was asked to substitute for the dancers who were too exhausted to dance the Nov 24th performance and graciously did so.  Apparently to her surprise (as expressed in her Instagram), her original Nov 26 performance was then taken away from her so that Krysanova could keep her two performances. We'll never know what kind of machinations brought about that result, but to me it doesn't feel right.

That's what I thought, Quinten. Glad that Obraztsova got to dance the performance of the 24th and not just at dress rehearsals.

While Krysanova has many excellent qualities, she lacks the natural delicacy of Obraztsova for a Juliet but I am willing to be open minded. To me it is "No Contest" just having seen the "two Ks" live many times in different roles (and Obraztsova live in both the Lavrovsky and McMillan versions).

mnacenani, Obraztsova is much, much more than a "good" Juliet. :P 

Drew, has Obraztsova ever danced the Bolshoi Swanhilda? I think not although she should be fantastic in that role, IMO. However, I doubt that we will see her as Swanhilda unless miracles happen.

5 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Drew, has Obraztsova ever danced the Bolshoi Swanhilda? I think not although she should be fantastic in that role, IMO. However, I doubt that we will see her as Swanhilda unless miracles happen.

To my knowledge she has not. But I can't say I follow the Bolshoi closely enough to be sure.