This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Nutcracker Casting

3 hours ago, cobweb said:

Third week of casting is up. I'm thrilled to find I have a ticket to see Tiler Peck's Dewdrop! I look forward to any Nutcracker reports. 

That was the first role I saw her dance...when she was just underway in her career. What wouldn't I give to see her dance it now! Will look forward to your report.

I just watched the 1958 televised version of the NYCB Nutcracker on youtube. Marzipan was done by a pretty impressive dancer named Judith Green. I've never heard of her or heard her mentioned in any interview with former NYCB dancers. Anyone know her story? A very young Allegra does Dewdrop. The Sugarplum (Diana Adams) pas is replaced by the Sugarplum dancing with all the male characters - no cavalier.

Moderators, I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to mention this. I didn't know if it warranted a new topic, or if a topic existed.

I just came back from today's evening performance. Ashly Isaacs was out as Dewdrop -- hope everything is ok. Megan LeCrone was a rather constricted, tense Dewdrop. She got through the steps but the buoyant jumps, the reckless balances and the sense of fun weren't there the way they are when, say, Ashley Bouder or Tiler Peck dance the role. I loved Sterling Hyltin and Andie Veyette as the SPF and Cavalier. But the discovery of the day was Emily Kikta in Coffee. I've felt for a long time that the Coffee variation has gotten rather boring and stale, but Kikta really brought the sensuality back to this role. Her height and curves really help. And in the finale she's the first Coffee in a long time to really do those bent leg pirouettes. To see what I'm talking about go to 1:22:23 of this video:

I did a double-header yesterday. Reichlen/Janzen/Lecrone in the afternoon and Mearns/J. Angle/Peck in the evening. I thought Tess Reichlen was amazing as the SPF. So beautiful and gracious. Maybe my favorite SPF apart from Sterling Hyltin. Janzen's solo needs a bit of work, and Lecrone's Dewdrop simply didn't have the jumps and freedom of movement to make an impact.

In the evening the situation was reversed. Tiler Peck absolutely danced up a storm as Dewdrop, but I wasn't as taken with Sara Mearns and Jared Angle as the Sugarplum Fairy and Cavalier. Don't think Mearns has the delicacy and lightness to make this work for her.