This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

I saw it today. Leontyne Price is very funny in it and definitely steals the show.

SPOILERS AHEAD

The filmmakers don't shy away from detailing how Robert Moses levelled an entire neighborhood to make room for Lincoln Center. Two of the former residents of the neighborhood, who were young boys at the time, are interviewed and they explain how their parents received notice that they had to be out and that was that. The residents of the neighborhood didn't know anyone they could go to to seek relief.

The film also contains documentary footage of the groundbreaking ceremony with Leonard Bernstein conducting Aaron Copland's Fanfare for the Commom Man. I don't know what the filmmakers' intent was but the juxtaposition of this footage with the former residents' interviews certainly is a jarring one.

The high point of the film is the fly-on-the-wall documentary footage capturing the preparations for Franco Zeffirelli's production of Samuel Barber's Antony and Cleopatra (w/ Price). Price is very funny here, especially when she talks about being stuck inside a giant pyramid during dress rehearsal.

I looked up Zeffirelli not realizing that he's still alive. And I came across this:

http://people.com/movies/johnathon-schaech-molested-franco-zeffirelli/?xid=socialflow_twitter_peoplemag

Edited by miliosr