This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

American National Ballet

I agree -- the description of a "typical" work day may have been true several years ago (and might still be so for some companies today), but it is far from the truth for most artists today.  But beyond that, I'm much more interested in hearing about the kind of work the ensemble is planning to perform -- while I have a great deal of respect for the improvements made in training, what are they doing all of this for, unless they're working towards a performance?  A performance of what?

38 minutes ago, sandik said:

... I'm much more interested in hearing about the kind of work the ensemble is planning to perform -- while I have a great deal of respect for the improvements made in training, what are they doing all of this for, unless they're working towards a performance?  A performance of what?

Yeah, strangely no mention of that.

I think Joseph Gatti's company sounds very innovative.  My daughter has danced for two companies that had no PT, no gym and no union limiting their amount of dancing.  One, grant it, was in Europe, but it was a national company in the country.  Any time someone got hurt they sent them to the massage therapist.  Didn't help labral tears.  Also danced with a smaller company in the states with no access to PT, no gym, no anything.  The two bigger companies she danced with in the US had a PT, but they danced 8 hours a day and then had to find time to schedule and go to the PT.  Incorporating these things into the work day would be wonderful for these dances who try to dance hurt because they don't have time to rehab or are afraid of letting their AD know they are hurt for fear of losing parts.  Kudos to Joseph Gatti.

Well. I don't really know what to say about this, but: "ballet dancer, 28, ‘shot dead her estranged husband during “domestic argument” during ugly custody battle’""

“The couple established a dance business based in Charleston, South Carolina, called American National Ballet (ANB) with Doug as the CEO and Ashley in the role of Executive Director.

Their organization, which businessman Doug once described as “Uber-izing ballet," reportedly fired half its dancers back in 2017, per Dance Magazine.

Ashley graduated from the Maryland Youth Ballet and is a retired professional ballerina, according to a company description on an ANB Facebook page, which is no longer in use.”

1 hour ago, Syzygy said:

At the risk of being a grammar elitist, I believe the term is "shot and killed", as in "a ballet dancer shot and killed her estranged husband".

I'm not sure what to make of any of this either, but it's all been rather odd from the beginning.

Edited by pherank