This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2018 Met Season

3 hours ago, nanushka said:

Wow! Amazing eyewitness reportage, miliosr! :clapping:

That's me -- citizen paparazzo (minus the camera).

2 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Was he rolling a suitcase or just a dance bag...or was he empty handed? Clues!

Empty handed.

Regarding the poor ticket sales mentioned in a prior post, I noticed that Giselle performances for Monday, Wed matinee, Wed evening, Thursday and Sat matinee  were available on TDF this morning. I believe that the very same dates were also selling on TDF a few weeks ago and that allotment sold out, so this is the second ticket dump on TDF for Giselle.

Edited by abatt
12 minutes ago, fondoffouettes said:

At least Murphy would seem to be the obvious choice to fill in for Abrera, since she's already dancing with Stearns on Saturday and her one Myrtha is at the beginning of the week. But if Copeland is swapped in, it's a no-go for me.

Hopefully, no sub will be needed, but I doubt they'd have Murphy fill in since she is so injury-prone and is already doing one Myrta and one Giselle already. I can't imagine they'd want to have her do 3 principal roles in one week, and the first week of the season, and risk her getting injured and then needing to recast her roles (which is already a risk; remember last year?). Stearns is really tall so I doubt Copeland would sub; same w/ Lane, although Lane/Stearns did Nutcracker last December when Lane subbed in for Seo. I think Boylston would be likely, since she's only doing one Giselle, though it's the day before. But, McKenzie rarely does what I think makes sense. 😉

3 minutes ago, abatt said:

Regarding the poor ticket sales mentioned in a prior post, I noticed that Giselle performances for Monday, Wed matinee, Wed evening, Thursday and Sat matinee  were available on TDF this morning. I believe that the very same dates were also selling on TDF a few weeks ago and that allotment sold out, so this is the second ticket dump on TDF for Giselle.

And, perhaps why they had a Mother's Day sale for Giselle, which I think was a first.

49 minutes ago, abatt said:

Out of curiosity, what Met section or sections are the TDF tickets usually available for? I always assumed that they put people in the Family Circle - but do they try to fill up the more "visible" sections of the house so that it doesn't look so bleak when a show is undersold?

15 minutes ago, Kathleen O'Connell said:

Out of curiosity, what Met section or sections are the TDF tickets usually available for? I always assumed that they put people in the Family Circle - but do they try to fill up the more "visible" sections of the house so that it doesn't look so bleak when a show is undersold?

The section you are placed in is not revealed in the ticket offer.  YOu only find out what section and where when you pick up your ticket at the box office or get it in the mail.  However,  I don't think these tickets would  be in the family circle, because the tdf price is higher than the cost of regular  full priced family circle ABT tickets.  TDF does not jack up ticket prices above the price you would pay at the box office. It is a discount program.  

I ordered an ABT ticket on TDF a few years ago for the Dream, and it was a great seat in the side orchestra, a few seats off the center aisle.   Ironically,  I would have happily bought a ticket for that performance in the balcony, but ABT had instituted dynamic pricing and had raised the price in the balcony.  That made me angry since I  could see the house was not selling well. So I waited and, sure enough, there it was on TDF.

Edited by abatt

One factor here seems to be that the first week of ABT always sells poorly.  There are usually a number of factors in play:  people still in school, opera season just ended, too early for out of town tourists and vacationers, NYCB going full swing across the plaza, etc.   But in prior seasons ABT has opened the Met season with "Onegin" performances that were half sold.  I must mention that I am on TDF too.  The earlier TDF ABT ticket offer also included performances of the Firebird/AfterRite program on May 24th and 25th.  Naturally the Osipova/Hallberg and Copeland/Cornejo "Giselle" performances were not offered.  The opening Monday night "Giselle" with Seo/Bolle was offered but not their repeat the following Saturday evening.

Edited by FauxPas

Hallberg has two video stories up on IG: one in which he's riding in the back of the car, captioned "morning prayer" (this morning, after miliosr saw him?), and the other looking out a car window driving by the Met, captioned "hello old friend."

The signs are promising!

Edited by nanushka
2 hours ago, nanushka said:

Hallberg has two video stories up on IG: one in which he's riding in the back of the car, captioned "morning prayer" (this morning, after miliosr saw him?)

He was wearing a blue shirt when I saw him this morning . . .

6 minutes ago, miliosr said:

He was wearing a blue shirt when I saw him this morning . . .

Yes, same. Dark blue. Collarless.

(Gosh darn, you're good!)

The second video, traveling south on Columbus Ave, appears to have been taken this evening around 7:30.

Edited by nanushka
23 hours ago, abatt said:

Uh oh.  This is  a bad development.  If Abrera is out, I have a lot of exchanges to make.  Is this going to be a situation where they announce Abrera's absence from the lead role  the day before the show, or the day of the show? Gulp.

Waski and Abrera? So a new g and m? 

On 5/10/2018 at 6:57 PM, nanushka said:

Yes, same. Dark blue. Collarless.

(Gosh darn, you're good!)

The second video, traveling south on Columbus Ave, appears to have been taken this evening around 7:30.

It seems possible he was being picked up by a car to go to this interview. The shirt looks the same.

On IG, he has been posting a lot of photos of interviews and photo shoots. Still no visual evidence of him stepping inside ABT’s studios.

Isadora Loyola posted an IG story about a half hour ago showing Craig Salstein on the floor with her stretching and talking about how today is their last day at ABT's studios before they move into the Met. Salstein is still listed as a company  teacher so he may have been warming up before teaching, or could have just been taking class with them before his matinee in Carousel. But, I wonder if he's taking a break from Carousel to return for some performances at the Met. He's not back on the dancer's roster, but when Nicole Graniero comes back for the Met season she doesn't go back on the roster either. I loved Salstein's Hilarion so much last year that I'd be thrilled if I got to see him again.

11 hours ago, fondoffouettes said:

It seems possible he was being picked up by a car to go to this interview. The shirt looks the same.

On IG, he has been posting a lot of photos of interviews and photo shoots. Still no visual evidence of him stepping inside ABT’s studios.

The entire segment from CBS Saturday morning is now on their web site:

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/renowned-ballet-dancer-david-hallberg-on-returning-to-the-stage/

Apparently, Abrera has also been replaced as Lead Maiden in Firebird on the 22nd by Cate Hurlin, according to Hurlin's IG post. No change on casting sites yet. But, this doesn't bode well for Abrera's Giselle next week since her Myrta was also subbed out. 

Edited by ABT Fan
39 minutes ago, California said:

The entire segment from CBS Saturday morning is now on their web site:

https://www.cbsnews.com/video/renowned-ballet-dancer-david-hallberg-on-returning-to-the-stage/

Hmm. The interviewer's comments at the very end suggest the interview was done before Hallberg's RB appearance/injury, so perhaps the car episode was in fact unrelated. But the interviewer also says Hallberg is looking forward to dancing at the Met this week. Unclear when the studio rehearsal footage was taken.

On 5/12/2018 at 11:35 AM, laurel said:

Oh, no, no!  Stella! 

I really wish they would just announce who her replacement is.  It seems very likely that she will not dance her Giselle, so why play games with us and keep her name up there on the casting calendar.

Edited by abatt

1 hour ago, Peg said:

Salstein in was in the corps of Carousel Wednesday night. 

He was on abt dancer ig today at abt

24 minutes ago, abatt said:

I really wish they would just announce who her replacement is.  It seems 100 percent clear that she will not dance her Giselle, so why play games with us and keep her name up there on the casting calendar.

I've already read the tea leaves . Just don't know what to replace with in dismal season

Edited by Vs1
2 minutes ago, Vs1 said:

He was on abt dancer ig today at abt

I've already read the tea leaves . Just don't know what to replace with in dismal season

Sorry didn't see earlier post feel free to delete