This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2018 Met Season

Last night in Seattle, I saw the second cast up for Forsythe's "One Flat Thing Reproduced" and an all-debut cast for Dove's "Red Angels," and one of the apprentices, who was in both, blew the roof off of the theater.  

Out here, we have a number of Principal Dancers who appear to have been sent undercover as corps members and a soloist, and let's just say, they're not terribly successful at camouflage.

So :clapping:for all of the dancers (finally) getting their chances, and the people who go to see them.

On 3/22/2018 at 5:48 PM, nanushka said:

Yes, that's bizarre, I've never experienced a site that is more fully realized on a handheld device than on a laptop.

Well, that does seem to be the direction that many people are going.  I don't have a handheld (my phone is not smart), and I'm noticing that many websites seem to be evolving to fit on the smaller screens of phones and tablets.

I purchased a subscription today and was distressed to see that despite the fact that the Osipova/Hallberg Giselle is still listed on the performance calendar, it was the only ballet you couldn't purchase as part of a subscription.

Is this something they've done in the past with performances they anticipate selling very well, or is this an indicator they don't think the Osipova/Hallberg performance is likely to happen and don't want to deal with a lot of subscribers who are angry about a cast switch?

20 minutes ago, MarzipanShepherdess said:

I purchased a subscription today and was distressed to see that despite the fact that the Osipova/Hallberg Giselle is still listed on the performance calendar, it was the only ballet you couldn't purchase as part of a subscription.

Is this something they've done in the past with performances they anticipate selling very well, or is this an indicator they don't think the Osipova/Hallberg performance is likely to happen and don't want to deal with a lot of subscribers who are angry about a cast switch?

My guess is that they are trying to encourage subscribers to buy a standard subscription.  I don't think it has anything to do with a cast change as they are still advertising them dancing together.   Single tickets go on sale tomorrow, and you should be able to grab tickets.   Hopefully Hallberg will recover in time, but as with any performance, there is no guarantee when it comes to casting.   And as many have noted on here,  it is unlikely that Osipova would dance with someone else from ABT, however they could always import someone. 

1 hour ago, NinaFan said:

My guess is that they are trying to encourage subscribers to buy a standard subscription.  I don't think it has anything to do with a cast change as they are still advertising them dancing together.   Single tickets go on sale tomorrow, and you should be able to grab tickets.   Hopefully Hallberg will recover in time, but as with any performance, there is no guarantee when it comes to casting.   And as many have noted on here,  it is unlikely that Osipova would dance with someone else from ABT, however they could always import someone. 

Thanks for your reply NinaFan! That makes sense that they are using that specific performance as a carrot to get people to just buy the Friday night series rather than mixing and matching as I like to do. 

If you want to get tickets to Osipova/Hallberg Giselle, better get them today. Just a smattering of seats left and they're not very good. Single tickets went on sale a few minutes ago.

Lots to choose from for the Kim Bayadere, though, and it's probably a safer bet that he'll show up.

30 minutes ago, California said:

If you want to get tickets to Osipova/Hallberg Giselle, better get them today. Just a smattering of seats left and they're not very good. Single tickets went on sale a few minutes ago.

Lots to choose from for the Kim Bayadere, though, and it's probably a safer bet that he'll show up.

The house is now nearly entirely sold out, with the exception of Family Circle and standing room. I was really torn on this one, but the likelihood of one or more cancellations swayed me to forgo this performance. I'll live if I don't see another Hallberg/Osipova Giselle.

Edited by fondoffouettes
27 minutes ago, California said:

So, there's officially smoke coming out of my Visa card. Just bought all of my must-have's. I decided not to get an Osipova/Hallberg ticket; I'll take my chances later if they both show up. I just couldn't stomach it now. I did get a Kim Bayadere. I found it very frustrating that the Met Opera's site wouldn't let me choose more than two performances to buy without clearing my cart (argh!) and having to start all over again. 

1 minute ago, ABT Fan said:

I found it very frustrating that the Met Opera's site wouldn't let me choose more than two performances to buy without clearing my cart (argh!) and having to start all over again. 

Almost every other ballet company, including much smaller ones, has a better site for picking seats and buying tickets on-line. But I guess this is the fault of the Met Opera House, not ABT.

2 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

I found it very frustrating that the Met Opera's site wouldn't let me choose more than two performances to buy without clearing my cart (argh!) and having to start all over again. 

That's odd. I bought tickets for about 8 performances and only had to stop there because of the 15-minute time limit, so did the rest in a second round.

The site went live around 11:30. Oddly, though, the Mon July 2 Whipped Cream tickets weren't available until about 12:15.

9 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

So, there's officially smoke coming out of my Visa card. Just bought all of my must-have's. I decided not to get an Osipova/Hallberg ticket; I'll take my chances later if they both show up. I just couldn't stomach it now. I did get a Kim Bayadere. I found it very frustrating that the Met Opera's site wouldn't let me choose more than two performances to buy without clearing my cart (argh!) and having to start all over again. 

The Instagram photos of Hallberg in Australia with his calf wrapped -- as well as his being quietly dropped from the Firebird and Bayadere casting -- doesn't exactly inspire confidence. 

2 minutes ago, fondoffouettes said:

The Instagram photos of Hallberg in Australia with his calf wrapped -- as well as his being quietly dropped from the Firebird and Bayadere casting -- doesn't exactly inspire confidence. 

Exactly. I decided I'd be less upset over missing them if they show, but more upset if I'm stuck with an expensive ticket to see dancers I don't care for.

How is it that Family Circle for the June 6 matinee of Harlequinade is sold out? I thought it might be the "Misty effect" but the rest of the house is relatively unsold. And there's still tons of availability in Family Circle for Copeland's more in-demand performances, like Swan Lake and Romeo and Juliet. 

Do they ever make Wednesday matinees school group days and set aside Family Circle for that purpose? I've been to many Wednesday matinees and have never noticed anything special on those days, though. 

22 minutes ago, alexL said:

I've opted to not get Hallberg/Osipova ticket and decided to go to NYCB to see Dances at a Gathering instead which is performing on the same night.

What a fantastic idea, thank you!  Purchasing so few ABT tickets this year has made much more available time for NYC Ballet performances.  Yay!

1 hour ago, cobweb said:

There’s always standing room. 

I thought standing room was only available for day-of purchase, but they were available for the Hallberg/Osipova Giselle for $35 earlier today (and some had been purchased). Those sections are now greyed out, so they either sold out, or the Met realized they had mistakenly made them available too early. I've never purchased standing room for ABT, so I'm not sure what the policy is for when they go on sale...

4 minutes ago, cobweb said:

It’s been a year or two since I did standing room for ABT, but I thought they were only available the day of the performance as well. I’ll be interested to see if this is a mistake or a change in policy. 

The Met's policy doesn't seem to have changed, unless they are making an exception for ABT:

https://www.metopera.org/About/FAQ/Standing-Room-Ticket-Information/

I'm wondering if it was just a mistake. $35 seemed kind of high, too. And they were offering Grand Tier standing room, which isn't mentioned on this web page.

Edited by fondoffouettes

I believe the standing room availability was a mistake, as I noticed that they were available for another performance as well. Now there are none even in Family Circle for the 5/19 Giselle, even though many Family Circle regular tix are still available. I can't believe Fam Cir SR would sell out with all those regular seats still left. Must've been a Met box office mistake.

Edited by nanushka
2 hours ago, fondoffouettes said:

How is it that Family Circle for the June 6 matinee of Harlequinade is sold out? I thought it might be the "Misty effect" but the rest of the house is relatively unsold. And there's still tons of availability in Family Circle for Copeland's more in-demand performances, like Swan Lake and Romeo and Juliet.

They don't open Family Circle for Wednesday matinees unless the rest of the house has either sold out or has been heavily sold.  I noticed that they started doing that last year.   They should really put "unavailable at this time" or something similar......

2 hours ago, laurel said:

What a fantastic idea, thank you!  Purchasing so few ABT tickets this year has made much more available time for NYC Ballet performances.  Yay!

I have to admit that I may be going to less ABT performances than originally planned.  And like everyone on here, I have no idea what's going on with Hallberg, so I decided not to spring for the Osipova/Hallberg Giselle since I just don't trust the casting.  I've seen Osipova in Giselle many times, both with and without David.  I am still hoping that Lendorf makes part of the season. 

I am already heavily booked for NYCB's first three weeks before the two companies overlap and slightly into the ABT season where there is nothing I care to see at ABT.     That still leaves me plenty of opportunity to see ABT.  I've only bought some my ABT tickets as I just don't trust casting.   Guess I will have to get a few more soon as prices are already climbing.

Edited by NinaFan

I've decided to hang on to my Hallberg/Osipova Giselle ticket for the time being. I was going to exchange my Sat matinee Bayadere (Teuscher/Ahn/Trenary) for the Hee/Kim but decided I'm already tired of exchanging. (I had several seating exchanges and a couple performance exchanges) At some point I just hit a wall and decide I'm simply seeing who I'm seeing. I'm hoping something exciting will happen with the Giselle: either it will take place as cast, or it will be filled by a terrific guest artist, or maybe Kim will come earlier and dance Albrecht either with Osipova or I'd even be ok with Seo. Frankly what I'm most looking forward to this season are my several Lane performances and those with the young 'uns, Teuscher, Schevenko, Trenary and Brandt. 

1 hour ago, Barbara said:

I've decided to hang on to my Hallberg/Osipova Giselle ticket for the time being. I was going to exchange my Sat matinee Bayadere (Teuscher/Ahn/Trenary) for the Hee/Kim but decided I'm already tired of exchanging. (I had several seating exchanges and a couple performance exchanges) At some point I just hit a wall and decide I'm simply seeing who I'm seeing. I'm hoping something exciting will happen with the Giselle: either it will take place as cast, or it will be filled by a terrific guest artist, or maybe Kim will come earlier and dance Albrecht either with Osipova or I'd even be ok with Seo. Frankly what I'm most looking forward to this season are my several Lane performances and those with the young 'uns, Teuscher, Schevenko, Trenary and Brandt. 

I think you are wise to hang on to your Osipova/Hallberg Giselle.  You can always trade them the day before if you aren't happy with the cast.  I just didn't want to buy single tickets since since it appears to be so iffy.  As far as exchanging for Hee/Kim, I think you'll be able to trade or even get last minute tickets if the mood strikes you.  Like you, I am very excited about Lane and the young' uns!

Edited by NinaFan
5 hours ago, Barbara said:

Frankly what I'm most looking forward to this season are my several Lane performances and those with the young 'uns, Teuscher, Schevenko, Trenary and Brandt. 

Same here. I'd also add Royal to that list. I'll get to see his Espada and maybe his Purple Rothbart. I did get some tickets to see Abrera and Murphy (fingers crossed she doesn't get injured) since we don't know how many more seasons they'll be dancing.