This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2018 Met Season

1 hour ago, ABT Fan said:

Boy, are you right. I didn't even consider that. Just looked at the site and there are a ton of seats available for both of Kim's performances. But, same for both of Copeland's shows, so I guess it's the ballet and not the dancer's.

You could be right if Copeland's is not selling either.    Funny thing is that La Bayadere is one of my favorites.  I'd like to see Lendorf's Solor, but I'm waiting on those tickets to see if he is really dancing.   I figured there was no way I'd get tickets since Copeland is dancing Gamzatti.  Good to know there are plenty of tickets!

Edited by NinaFan

Yes, Bayadere does not sell well at ABT.  I too would like to see Lendorf as Solor, but I am not even considering buying tickets until much closer to the date.  I have serious doubts as to whether he will be able to dance at all this Spring.  Also, I can't really imagine Boylston as the soulful, lyrical Nikiya. However, I have no doubt that she would be completely secure and nail the difficult scarf dance.

On 4/27/2018 at 5:35 PM, abatt said:

Yes, Bayadere does not sell well at ABT.  I too would like to see Lendorf as Solor, but I am not even considering buying tickets until much closer to the date.  I have serious doubts as to whether he will be able to dance at all this Spring.  Also, I can't really imagine Boylston as the soulful, lyrical Nikiya. However, I have no doubt that she would be completely secure and nail the difficult scarf dance.

I agree that Boylston may be more suited for Gamzatti (and which she performs beautifully), but I'd love to see her Nikiya opposite Lendorf's Solor.   I just hope we get to see him this season.  I find it odd that they removed Lendorf from R&J, but left him in Bayadere, which precedes R&J.  Something doesn't make sense.

1 minute ago, NinaFan said:

I agree that Boylston may be more suited for Gamzatti (and which she performs beautifully), but I'd love to see her Nikiya opposite Lendorf's Solor.   I just hope we get to see him this season.  I find it odd that they removed Lendorf from R&J, but left him in Bayadere, which precedes R&J.  Something doesn't make sense.

Do you think it's possible that Lendorf hasn't learned Romeo yet (?) and that's why they took him out? I think he's done Solor before, so maybe he just needs to get in shape for the role instead of learning it.

1 hour ago, onxmyxtoes said:

Do you think it's possible that Lendorf hasn't learned Romeo yet (?) and that's why they took him out? I think he's done Solor before, so maybe he just needs to get in shape for the role instead of learning it.

Perhaps you're right.  I just looked at ABT's website, and it does not mention Romeo as being one of his roles. 

44 minutes ago, LadyBubbles said:

I love how the AfteRite cast showed as "To be announced" for months, and now that it's been posted it simply says "Company." Thanks for the accurate info, ABT :innocent:

They are having a Works and Process at the Guggenheim this evening with McGregor. Perhaps that will shed more light. 

31 minutes ago, its the mom said:

They are having a Works and Process at the Guggenheim this evening with McGregor. Perhaps that will shed more light. 

I really miss the LiveStream that the Guggenheim did for a few years. It's just too much for me to come into the city for a one and a half hour program, but I'd definitely watch it on my computer.

1 hour ago, its the mom said:

Anyone who attends, please report back.  I have such mixed thoughts about McGregor, and I think I need to know more about his perspective.

6 hours ago, sandik said:

Anyone who attends, please report back.  I have such mixed thoughts about McGregor, and I think I need to know more about his perspective.

I have come to the conclusion that with McGregor's work it is often best to take it at face value and trust your own judgement.  Reading his programme notes ... or sometimes listening to the circulating hyperbole ... can - at least in my experience - be more frustrating than - in the end - it proves worth.  

First, I should say that I am a huge McGregor fan.  I love his style of movement and, having seen him work in Boston, I admire how he approaches a company and a project.  

I was there last night.  John Meehan was the moderator.  The dancers were Alessandra Ferri, Herman Cornejo and Jeffrey Cirio.  The evening began with Meehan speaking to McGregor about his background, how he got involved in dance, his approach to choreography, etc.  Let me say, at this point, that McGregor's biography is impressive.  He has his own company which performs around the world.  Additionally, he opened a studio in March of 2017, a "shared space ... where creative brains of the day can exchange knowledge and invent together."  He has created over thirty works for his company.  Additionally, as we know, he is a Resident Choreographer at Royal Ballet.  He is also a Professor of Choreography at Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance, has several honorary doctorates, and has received a plethora of awards including a CBE for services to dance.  

From what I could gather, McGregor was to have choreographed The Rite of Spring for the Bolshoi at the time when the Filin attack occurred.  The project got pushed aside.  Through a series of events (including a chance meeting with Ratmansky, so it seems), he was commissioned to choreograph the ballet for ABT.  However, the plans he had for the Bolshoi did not fit for ABT.  He felt he need to go in a different direction.  Additionally, since so many versions of the ballet exist, he decided to just build on the idea.  At least, that is what I got out of what was being said.

McGregor, like many choreographers today, came in January to the company and held a workshop.  Introducing movement and his style, he was able to choose the dancers for the piece.  Throughout the interview, the idea of collaboration was emphasized.  He likes the dancers to take a movement and inhabit it in their own way.  

The performance was a walk-through of two sections of choreography.  First, Ferri and Cornejo walked through a pas de deux section and then performed it with music.  Next was Cornejo and Cirio doing the same.  The movement is very "McGregor."  There was very little discussion of the narrative, although he intimated a mother figure and two sons.  

After the two sections, Meehan asked McGregor a few more questions and then the dancers came out to discuss working with McGregor.  Alessandra emphasized the distinct pleasure of working with him and the opportunity to continue stretching herself.  There was a discussion about taking risks and pushing past that which dancers think they are capable.  It was evident these three dancers liked working with him.  Cornejo stated that working with McGregor helped him in his classical work by bringing another dimension, and Cirio stated that he felt very comfortable in McGregor's work.  Meehan discussed the idea of working with new choreographers, and all three agreed that working with a live choreographer and having the chance to perform new works was something all dancers desire.  

By the way, all three have worked with McGregor prior to this.  

There was a short question and answer period.  The only question I can remember is one audience member asked about a second cast.  As it appears right now, he is still choreographing and putting the ballet together.  Because he works so intimately with the dancers, would there be an ability to put on a second cast.  He said that the other casts have been in the room and have had the opportunity to take on the movement, but there seemed to be (at least to me), a moment when the dancers looked as if there might be a challenge for that to happen.  

He also mentioned in one portion of the interview that the cast of dancers all had key roles in the ballet.  I should have written it down, as I forget the number he said - maybe 15 dancers total?  Perhaps this is why the casting appears as it does on the website?  But I do think for sure, that Ferri, Cornejo and Cirio all play key parts.  I am disappointed in myself for not taking notes to share.  This is what I can remember off the top of my head this morning.

Here is a TED talk that McGregor did several years ago if you have never watched his work:

Edited by its the mom
19 hours ago, NinaFan said:

Perhaps you're right.  I just looked at ABT's website, and it does not mention Romeo as being one of his roles. 

This makes sense, regarding Lendorf. But, this performance is June 13, still plenty of time to learn the role, unless he's still not recovered from his injury and isn't rehearsing yet. If he doesn't do Romeo, I'm wondering who could replace him? Stearns is already doing two, and Whiteside is already scheduled for the day after, so I can't imagine it would be either of them. Obviously no for Simkin/Cornejo and Hallberg is already doing two as well and would be ill-suited to partner Teuscher. That leaves Hammoudi, for someone else who has already done the role (so has Gorak, but he's too small for Teuscher). Unless, they go for another debut and say cast Ahn, who is already partnering Teuscher in Bayadere. 

10 minutes ago, abatt said:

I'm concerned that they might take Teuscher out of Juliet this season, just as they did on tour. 

If they do that, then I could see them giving it to Seo (who is already scheduled but two days later) w/ Hammoudi. Both of them have done this ballet together before. Otherwise, I don't see any other option. Unless, they go w/ debuts.

42 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Aran Bell as Teuscher’s Romeo!  Genius.

Personally, I don't think he's ready for a full-length dramatic role. (I find him too stiff, but I really think that will wear off as he gets a bit older and gains more experience.) But I do think he will be one day, not many years off.

17 minutes ago, cobweb said:

Wow. I would love to see that! But the matinee... 🙁

I’ll likely travel from DC to Aran’s Romeo debut. Tall, handsome and technically wonderful! Now we just need to find a way for Catherine Hurlin to land a Principal role in a full-length classic and all will be right in My ABT fantasy world.

5 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

I’ll likely travel from DC to Aran’s Romeo debut. Tall, handsome and technically wonderful! Now we just need to find a way for Catherine Hurlin to land a Principal role in a full-length classic and all will be right in My ABT fantasy world.

Holy cow, Aran! That’s a shocker.

And, I completely agree about Hurlin!