This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2018 Met Season

Brandt recently spent time studying with the Mariinsky along with Shayer, following ABT's Asia tour. Below is a clip of them rehearsing DQ. She's had coaching on DQ before, from Irina Dvorovenko back in December. Hope we get to see this at the Met some day soon (and if a sub is needed this year, I think she'll be ready!).

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 5:07 PM, Outside said:

I find Hallberg has pleasing lines, but his dancing is a bit too effeminate to me, especially his arms and hands.

Maybe that is what I meant, too.

On 3/26/2018 at 7:52 AM, fondoffouettes said:

As a showcase for Hallberg's beautiful lines, airy jumps and inward style of dancing, I can't think of any better piece than Ashton's Dance of the Blessed Spirits.

I

Saw this when it was part of another comment, but just wanted to say thanks for posting the video.  I hadn't seen it before, and it's a really lovely piece of work, beautifully danced.

6 hours ago, fondoffouettes said:

Yes!!! I think I need to figure out some way to get out of work that Wednesday. It's the perfect marriage of performer and role. 

Family emergency, maybe?  I know if I missed her performance, I would have an emotional breakdown, the likes of which my family has never seen, and they would definitely consider that an emergency situation . . .  

This will be the third Wed. matinee in which I've seen Lane perform the leading role.  The earlier ones were in the old Sleeping Beauty production:  first was her NY debut as Aurora, and and the second her follow-up Aurora performance six years later.  Both of which were astonishing and unforgettable displays of technique and art.  Somehow, it seems, if Lane is dancing the lead at a Wednesday matinee, pure magic happens on stage.  I would never miss one of these matinees.  I cannot allow an AD with very poor judgment and little taste to keep me from seeing the dancers I want to see perform.  He can keep on trying to shove mediocrities my way by giving them more convenient time slots, but I know who I want to see and I will rearrange my life for a day or two to do it. This fool can't stop me.  Theater performances are ephemeral, they vanish with the fall of a curtain, and don't intend to miss the great ones if I can help it.

1 hour ago, laurel said:

Family emergency, maybe?  I know if I missed her performance, I would have an emotional breakdown, the likes of which my family has never seen, and they would definitely consider that an emergency situation . . .  

This will be the third Wed. matinee in which I've seen Lane perform the leading role.  The earlier ones were in the old Sleeping Beauty production:  first was her NY debut as Aurora, and and the second her follow-up Aurora performance six years later.  Both of which were astonishing and unforgettable displays of technique and art.  Somehow, it seems, if Lane is dancing the lead at a Wednesday matinee, pure magic happens on stage.  I would never miss one of these matinees.  I cannot allow an AD with very poor judgment and little taste to keep me from seeing the dancers I want to see perform.  He can keep on trying to shove mediocrities my way by giving them more convenient time slots, but I know who I want to see and I will rearrange my life for a day or two to do it. This fool can't stop me.  Theater performances are ephemeral, they vanish with the fall of a curtain, and don't intend to miss the great ones if I can help it.

Well said, laurel, well said!

2 hours ago, laurel said:

Love this.

I just received the new ABT brochure for the Spring season. Please can someone tell me why it includes a stunning photo of Hallberg and Abrera in Romeo and Juliet, and yet Hallberg is dancing two performances of that ballet with Boylston, and Abrera is paired with one of my least favorite male dancers? Shouldn't the photos be a preview of the upcoming season?

And am I alone in thinking that the cover is particularly ugly?

Edited by angelica
clarity
29 minutes ago, angelica said:

I don't see Kimin Kim listed anymore. Now it says TBA. Does anyone know anything about that change?

I noticed that Kim wasn't listed in the brochure as well. I didn't take that to mean that he's no longer cast, but that the brochures were printed up before he confirmed as a guest artist. Their brochures are typically inaccurate in terms of casting because of the print timing.

And, as California noted, he's still listed on their website (and on the Met Opera's website, which is usually more up-to-date than ABT's website.)

Edited by ABT Fan
9 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

I noticed that Kim wasn't listed in the brochure as well. I didn't take that to mean that he's no longer cast, but that the brochures were printed up before he confirmed as a guest artist. Their brochures are typically inaccurate in terms of casting because of the print timing.

And, as California noted, he's still listed on their website (and on the Met Opera's website, which is usually more up-to-date than ABT's website.)

Thank you, I hope you're right.

1 hour ago, ABT Fan said:

I'm sure you and California are right. I was confused because his name has been on the online site for so long now, and the brochure arrived just yesterday. They must  need a very long time to print and mail the brochures.

It's been six weeks since Hallberg injured himself, and all of his recent Instagram stories indicate he's still in Australia. The Hallberg/Osipova Giselle is just a month away, and the rest of the company began rehearsals for the spring season several days ago. Maybe he'll get himself well enough to swoop into NYC for that one performance, but I'm feeling more doubtful than ever that it will happen. 

6 hours ago, fondoffouettes said:

It's been six weeks since Hallberg injured himself, and all of his recent Instagram stories indicate he's still in Australia. The Hallberg/Osipova Giselle is just a month away, and the rest of the company began rehearsals for the spring season several days ago. Maybe he'll get himself well enough to swoop into NYC for that one performance, but I'm feeling more doubtful than ever that it will happen. 

Then there's this. Promising?

(I often find myself wishing he were more forthcoming!)

Edited by nanushka