This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

POB 2018 US tour cancelled

10 hours ago, California said:

I assume that this could be figured out from the 990s filed with the IRS, which has to include grants and gifts, although a lot of other things are on that form and it might not all be itemized. But remember how much aggressive fund-raising went on for the three-company Jewels last summer -- all sorts of high-cost Friends options + very expensive tickets. 

I imagine one could do this homework, and get a sense of the complete budget, but I've never looked at their tax forms and have no idea how they itemize -- most summers the festival presented several different things, and I don't know that their 990s would parse each project.  Yes, they've done a great deal of fundraising, and many people have mixed feelings for how that worked, but I don't know that anyone made a great deal of money out of it.

21 hours ago, California said:

I assume that this could be figured out from the 990s filed with the IRS, which has to include grants and gifts, although a lot of other things are on that form and it might not all be itemized. But remember how much aggressive fund-raising went on for the three-company Jewels last summer -- all sorts of high-cost Friends options + very expensive tickets. 

Neither its 990 nor its audited financial statements provide sufficient detail to determine how much Lincoln Center, in its capacity as a presenter, paid in performance fees to any particular artist or company.

Per its most recent 990, expenses associated with its performance programming activities totaled $37.9 million for the year ending 6/30/16. That amount includes the performance fees paid to artists and companies (about $14 million) as well as the cost of things like operating the theater, promotion, and the like that can be allocated the the shows Lincoln Center itself puts on -- e.g. Great Performers, Mostly Mozart, White Light, Lincoln Center Out of Doors, Midsummer Night Swing, and the Lincoln Center Festival. The revenue from these activities totaled $11.8 million, so you can see the gap that needs to be covered by grants and donations.

Lincoln Center's audited financial statements parse things a bit differently (of necessity - the way they have to present things to the IRS differs from the way they have to present things according to current US financial accounting standards). But if you compare page 4 of the financial statements with pages 9 and 10 of the 900, you can get a 60,000 foot view of what's going on.

PS: Typically, presenters pay artists and companies a fee to perform. The presenter is on the hook for covering the fee and the cost of running the theater; the company is on the hook for covering things like its own artists' salaries, travel expenses, etc.

Edited by Kathleen O'Connell