This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

POB 2018 US tour cancelled

It’s a bit of a disaster for the company because the season was built around this tour. If you consider the programme, I wonder what most of the senior dancers of the company will dance after Onegin and  Millepied/Béjart bill, the rest of the programme before La fille mal gardée being really contemporary

1 hour ago, Josette said:

I was so looking forward to seeing Ludmila Pagliero in La Sylphide. 

I saw her dance it in July; it was great, I'm sorry you'll miss out.

I hope at least this cancellation means that we in Paris might get another ballet, because I hadn't anticipated attending many more this season (just Don Quixote and Onegin).

2 hours ago, Josette said:

Two questions remain: Is POB touring to Dallas and Chicago, as was heard? What major ballet company will take over the slot In the Lincoln Center Festival?

Quel dommage. 

I'm disappointed, too, as I had been tentatively planning to visit NYC for this one.

I'm wondering though: any chance Houston might bring their Mayerling as a substitute? That would be a treat I'd welcome. 

Bummer! I was planning to go to Chicago for the entire length of their run there.

I was really looking forward to seeing: Hugo Marchand in La Sylphide. Petit's Le Jeune home et la mort for the first time and the entire company in Lander's Etudes, Forsythe's Blake Works and Pite's The Seasons' Canon.

Well, I may have to shift my plans to Sarasota and their Tudor/Balanchine/Ashton bill in the spring.

Edited by miliosr
18 hours ago, California said:

I'm disappointed, too, as I had been tentatively planning to visit NYC for this one.

I'm wondering though: any chance Houston might bring their Mayerling as a substitute? That would be a treat I'd welcome. 

It's a huge disappointment--Forsythe and Pite were the main temptations for me as much as I would like to see the dancers in a nineteenth-century classic--but if it were possible to put together a last minute substitute (and it probably isn't) then I wish Lincoln Center Festival would bring the English National Ballet dancing Akram Khan's Giselle. 

(Though I realize it might be easier to switch in an American company...)

Edited by Drew

I wonder if the Mikhailovsky still tours overseas (beyond Europe)? They're quite well endowed, have many star dancers and a solid rep of both classics and contemporary works. The US should see their lovely Laurencia, for starters.

Their Flames of Paris is another USSR rarity that they perform in the Messerer edition, which is much closer to the Soviet original than is the Ratmansky version for the Bolshoi. But I believe that they've already toured Flames to NY, so Laurencia would be a great classical rarity that should pack the theatre. The Mik also has a very good Esmeralda and had (has?) a Petipa Triple Bill of Harlequinade, Paquita and Cavalry's Halt.

We've had the Mikhailovsky twice in Orange County and I don't think they are at the level you would hope for at the Lincoln Center Festival.  When POB was announced, I was going to go for the entire week in Chicago and then a long weekend in NY  as my vacation this year. 

Without any hesitation, I would fly to NY  or anywhere in North America to see Akram Khan's Giselle.   I hope Tamara Rojo gets your thought-message, Drew!

Edited by Josette

Lincoln Center Festival is no more.   That may explain, in part, issues relating to the cancellation of the POB tour to  NY.  This seems like a death knell for visits by major international ballet companies to NY.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/14/arts/music/lincoln-center-festival-jane-moss.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Farts&action=click&contentCollection=arts&region=stream&module=stream_unit&version=latest&contentPlacement=3&pgtype=sectionfront&_r=0

15 hours ago, sandik said:

Damn, this is bad news for dance.  While Jane Moss has done some astonishing things in the musical world, she's not really been attached to kinetic arts -- while I can hope for a good outsome, it's a big question mark at best.

Very bad news for dance.   I suspect we'll be seeing a lot of Mark Morris under Jane Moss' leadership, but not much in the way of major ballet companies.

Join the club. With the exception of the miraculous annual visit by the Mariinsky, the Kennedy Center here in DC has scaled back considerably from the seasons that used to feature four or five top-tier international ballet companies within a year's time. We used to get the likes of the Bolshoi, RDB and RB (plus the expected Kirov-Mariinsky) in a given year. POB rarely came but we got most of the other top six or seven int'l companies on earth. Stuttgart. National Ballets of Canada and China. New National Theater Ballet of Japan. Now it's slim pickin's on the classical front. Some int'l companies that have toured in the last couple of years have danced only contemporary works, as did the Royal Swedish and Scottish Ballets. 

At least New York-area residents still get to enjoy two of the finest companies on earth in their back yard, ABT and NYCB.

Of course, touring the big companies in grand classical works requiring elaborate sets and costumes has become prohibitively expensive. That is coupled with presenters' change in policy to become more inclusive (code for fewer tutus and tiaras).

Edited by CharlieH
5 hours ago, abatt said:

Very bad news for dance.   I suspect we'll be seeing a lot of Mark Morris under Jane Moss' leadership, but not much in the way of major ballet companies.

I love Morris, and am very grateful to see his company every year, but the loss of the festival means one less program that is dedicated to big and unusual work.

So if nobody knows the answer to my question directky above about the extent of Lincoln Center's subsidy, we can't know how much it will discourage future visits. The companies can still contract with the Koch directly or through an arts management company, etc. 

I have no specific knowledge, but I'm willing to bet that it varied greatly from event to event.  The Festival was a series of one-off programs, rather than a long-term production.  Some companies travel with a great deal of support from their home institution, while others are project by project groups.

Edited by sandik

I assume that this could be figured out from the 990s filed with the IRS, which has to include grants and gifts, although a lot of other things are on that form and it might not all be itemized. But remember how much aggressive fund-raising went on for the three-company Jewels last summer -- all sorts of high-cost Friends options + very expensive tickets.