dirac

Monday, October 9

An interview with former Ballet West dancer Tom Mattingly.

I realized even though I wasn’t with a big ballet company anymore, which I thought I would always do, that I can do other things and still be happy," he said. "I’ve never been happier.”

Enter “An American in Paris,” the stage adaptation of the classic Kelly film featuring the music of George Gershwin. Mattingly returns to Salt Lake City with the upcoming tour playing the understudy and swing for five different characters in the show.

A review of Los Angeles Ballet by Lewis Segal in The Los Angeles Times.

By periodically moving away from the classical repertory, the company allows audiences to see the inherent nobility of ballet physicality modified and updated. The same process gives dancers a rare chance to experience the movement trends and mixed vocabularies defining dance in their own generation.

Reviews of Northern Ballet.

Zoe Anderson in The Independent.

Concerto, a lively classical setpiece, comes less naturally to a company of dance actors. Danced to Shostakovich, this 1966 ballet was designed as a workout for technique, demanding crisp execution, speed and clear line. This was a careful performance, in every sense. You can see how seriously Northern Ballet’s dancers take the challenge, shaping their phrasing to Daniel Parkinson’s conducting and showing the ballet's contrasting moods, but they’re tested on style and stamina.

Louise Levene in The Financial Times.

Concerto was a brave choice and, to be brutally honest, the corps de ballet’s struggles with its unforgiving unison ensembles and steely pointework were best watched through the fingers, but last Saturday’s matinee was a triumph just the same, thanks to Las Hermanas and Gloria.

Houston Ballet shifts venues for its Nutcracker following Hurricane Harvey.

The ballet put those questions to rest Monday afternoon, however, announcing that The Nutcracker will split its 2017-18 run between the William P. Hobby Center downtown and the brand-new Smart Financial Centre at Sugar Land, which opened this past January.

Related.