This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Seattle P-I Moves to One Staff Critic for All Arts

Since the Seattle Weekly's search engine is appalling and isn't helpful in finding the original, I'll cite Playbill's article that SW is reporting that Seattle P-I has assigned all arts coverage to RM Campbell, formerly music and dance critic, focussing on Seattle, Symphony, Seattle Opera, and Pacific Northwest Ballet and using freelancers.

But P-I managing editor David McCumber told the Weekly that the paper was not reducing its arts coverage. Rather, he said, the paper plans to provide "more sophisticated, nuanced coverage—profiles, issues stories, arts business stories—as well as reviews and previews."

So that's what they're calling it now.

One more example of new media sapping readership of the print media....a trend that won't reverse I'm afraid.

What saddens me more than anything is the loss of editors (and the professionalism and honesty they bring) on the internet.  Basically, anyone can say anything.......be it truthful or not (witness our very own President!).  Saddest of all is that too many people, way too many people, believe some of this stuff simply because they want to.

Um, this Playbill article is from 2005, and Richard Campbell died in February 2017.  The P-I itself ceased print publication in 2009.

Right now, the P-I still hosts a number of blogs on its website for its former writers -- Alice Kaderlan writes about dance and theater fairly regularly on that site.

In more recent developments, the Seattle Times has been doing some excellent arts news coverage recently since they hired Brendan Kiley, who has had a couple of articles on the front page (a big deal in my world).  The Stranger (one of two Seattle weeklies) has moved to an every-other-week print schedule.  They are shifting most of their time-based coverage (reviews, breaking news) to their website.  And the Seattle Weekly (the other weekly) seems to be in the midst of another change, but I don't know much about it yet.  Will report back when I do.

17 minutes ago, sandik said:

Um, this Playbill article is from 2005. . . 

I have "Google Alerts" set up for a wide variety of names and companies. For unknown reasons, I'm getting a steady stream of Playbill articles from 2005. I wonder if somebody just dumped old materials into their on-line database and Google Alert is picking it up. Very strange...