This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2018 Spring Season

7 hours ago, fondoffouettes said:

Bouder’s post is pretty jokey. Are we sure Pereira is actually learning the role?

Yeah, I'm not sure we have enough info yet to assert that Pereira will be debuting as Swanilda. It's possible, but Bouder doesn't say that. The story is just Pereira doing some steps, messing around in a rehearsal room, with a caption that says, "Ladies and Gentlemen...the newest Coppelia."

Edited by nanushka
15 minutes ago, nanushka said:

Yeah, I'm not sure we have enough info yet to assert that Pereira will be debuting as Swanilda. It's possible, but Bouder doesn't say that. The story is just Pereira doing some steps, messing around in a rehearsal room, with a caption that says, "Ladies and Gentlemen...the newest Coppelia."

"Coppelia" is the doll's name.  That's a different (and much smaller) role.

It would be an incrdible insult to give soloist Pereira the non dance role of the doll, especially since she has previously done the secondary lead in the ballet Coppelia many, many times.  I think Bouder was just being a bit imprecise, and we can expect to see Pereira as Swanilda.

Edited by abatt
1 hour ago, abatt said:

It would be an incrdible insult to give soloist Pereira the non dance role of the doll, especially since she has previously done the secondary lead in the ballet Coppelia many, many times.  I think Bouder was just being a bit imprecise, and we can expect to see Pereira as Swanilda.

Yes, I don't think Bouder was saying Pereira will actually perform the role of Coppélia, but I'm also not sure she was saying she'll debut as Swanilda. It was a vague (and, as said above, jokey) enough post that I didn't think it could necessarily be taken as an announcement of a debut. If that's what she meant, clearer info will surely come soon.

I didn't recognize the steps, but I also don't have thorough knowledge of the ballet.

Edited by nanushka
59 minutes ago, Helene said:

It would be very clear from the "steps" whether they were the doll's or Swanhilde's.  

Seemed to me the steps were Swanilde's from the "scottish dance" in the toy workshop. At least that's what I think. 

The company seems to be giving more opportunities to its long time soloists.  For example, the radiant Laracey finally made her debut in Concerto Barocco.  (I thought she was luminous and terrific.)  Pereira also got the lead in Fairy's Kiss during its last run, so it wouldn't surprise me if she got Swanilda.   Although she is not my favorite dancer, Pereira  has definitely paid her dues.

So will we be getting a new Franz? 

On 5/4/2018 at 1:12 PM, fondoffouettes said:

Yes, it was definitely the music from the Scottish dance.

It was the music from the Scottish jig, but Pereira wasn't doing the actual steps. She was just bouncing, goofing off. My guess is Pereira is debuting as Swanilda and Bouder was making a joke, "look at this new Swanilda being silly during rehearsal."

9 minutes ago, cinnamonswirl said:

It was the music from the Scottish jig, but Pereira wasn't doing the actual steps. She was just bouncing, goofing off. My guess is Pereira is debuting as Swanilda and Bouder was making a joke, "look at this new Swanilda being silly during rehearsal."

Ah that makes sense. Thanks for the clarification! Your guess sounds quite likely right.

7 minutes ago, nanushka said:

Ah that makes sense. Thanks for the clarification! Your guess sounds quite likely right.

I think the actual footwork at the start was accurate before she started goofing off in a very cute way.

11 minutes ago, vipa said:

I think the actual footwork at the start was accurate before she started goofing off in a very cute way.

Yes, that makes sense too. I don't know the steps there but it looked like that sort of transition.

On 5/5/2018 at 10:00 PM, cinnamonswirl said:

Looks & sounds like the A2 Scottish Dance to me. I am happy to read this news, being a fan of the New Pereira, so beautiful in her Divert 15 sólo recently. A more complete artist than before. She even looked taller and sleeker than before, not the soubrette of before. Promotion to Principal soon?

Edited by CharlieH
Typo

I pretty much agree with Canbelto's poisonivy review. I enjoyed 'Easy' for what it was and thought Harrison Coll amazingly charming and fun. 'Something to Dance About' was more problematical for me because the juice seemed to have been squeezed out of all those numbers. Like they didn't quite make sense out of context. Particularly disappointing was the famous bottle dance which certainly demonstrated City Ballet's elegance and clarity, but didn't make sense without the bottles. The whole point of that dance is balancing the bottles on their heads as they do those steps. For me the highlight was Mearns tearing it up. She may not be perfectly cast as - is it Anita? - but boy did she dance it.

Week 5 casting is up. For the first week Hyltin and Peck are the Swanildas and Veyette and de Luz are the Franzes.

As for Something to Dance About I felt it was a piece d'occasion but it really helped to know the complete numbers in context. For instance "Shall We Dance" makes almost no sense as a pure dance piece -- it only makes sense when we consider the relationship of Anna and the King. But most of the audience was very familiar with Jerry's work (as far as I could tell) and the houses were well sold. I was surprised at how good the NYCB dancers are at the Broadway style. 

Edited by canbelto
2 hours ago, canbelto said:

I was surprised at how good the NYCB dancers are at the Broadway style. 

That's so great to hear. I'm surprised too. This company is so impressive, really, in so many ways. Considering what's happened in the past 6 months, they have really come through remarkably well, it seems so far. It makes me feel optimistic for the future of NYCB.

6 minutes ago, Jacqueline said:

Is anyone else besides me rooting for the promotion of Lydia Wellington?  

Lydia Wellington has been outstanding for quite some time. I certainly am rooting for her (so is my husband).

A few questions for the avid fans. 

1. Did anyone attend the Inside NYCB: Jerome Robbins event on Monday? I have a family friend who is a donor but not well-versed in NYCB culture, she invites me to these things so I can fill in the knowledge gaps, it’s a great set up!  I wonder if anyone had input on viewing the excerpt from The Cage in the “conversation with” setting. I really didn’t like seeing that work w/ other people on stage. To me The Cage should be entirely contained from the outside/human world. 

2. I also attended the working rehearsal of Les Noces today. I didn’t know anything about that work before I arrived. Does anyone have any personal thoughts/opinions on that ballet?  The style of the choreography as it relates to the story etc. 

Edited by FITTB85