This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2018 Spring Season

Wow, that's cool news. Inspired and assured by Maria K. and Ashley Bouder's journeys? 

She has brought a lot of new freedom and depth to many of her roles since her separation from Veyette. Her Le Baiser this past Winter was infinitely more moving and musical than Pereira. 

41 minutes ago, Fleurfairy said:

I was wondering why Megan Fairchild was absent from the casting sheet for the Spring season. She is pregnant per her Instagram today.

Great news.  So glad she was able to navigate her way through the Veyette betrayal and find happiness.

I guess this means that she will not be dancing with DeLuz at his farewell in October.   She was his most frequent partner.

1 hour ago, chicagoballetomane said:

I wonder who the baby’s father is? Megan keeps quite mum about her love life on social media. I don’t believe she has remarried.

There was an article about Megan and her boyfriend in the NY Times a few months ago. 

Edited by abatt

Maria Korowski's belt once came undone on stage during one of the leotard ballets.  She tried to ignore it, but it was not possible, so when she was near a stage wing she took it off and quickly threw it into the wings. 

2 hours ago, bcash said:

Love hat picture of De Luz. Joyous lines. 

Did not know Megan and Andrew still don't speak.

They might not speak but they did dance together in Divertimento this winter and if there was tension between them it wasn't apparent onstage. 

2 hours ago, bcash said:

Love hat picture of De Luz. Joyous lines. 

Did not know Megan and Andrew still don't speak.

That article was from 8 months ago, so maybe that has changed. Anyway, they must have found a way their way to a working relationship, because they perform together. I saw them last season in Divert 15. The corps member he's seen with in social media, was also in that performance. Talk about everyone having to separate personal life from work!

During the 2016-17 season they danced together (due to an injury) and Megan posted on IG about how difficult an experience it was. I didn't realize they'd danced together since then, but it sounds like perhaps their relations have warmed a bit. If so, that's good to hear.

37 minutes ago, vipa said:

That article was from 8 months ago, so maybe that has changed. Anyway, they must have found a way their way to a working relationship, because they perform together. I saw them last season in Divert 15. The corps member he's seen with in social media, was also in that performance. Talk about everyone having to separate personal life from work!

Some time ago I read (probably on instagram?) something written by her about doing something she thought she would never be able to do: dancing with her former husband. I guess vipa is right about some changes. Can you dance (and, of course, rehearse) with someone you don't talk to?

26 minutes ago, eduardo said:

Some time ago I read (probably on instagram?) something written by her about doing something she thought she would never be able to do: dancing with her former husband. I guess vipa is right about some changes. Can you dance (and, of course, rehearse) with someone you don't talk to?

Well in the dance world it happens a lot. Joaquin de Luz regularly partners Tiler Peck and they used to be in a relationship. 

17 minutes ago, canbelto said:

Well in the dance world it happens a lot. Joaquin de Luz regularly partners Tiler Peck and they used to be in a relationship. 

It's quite striking (but makes perfect sense) how many dance couples (and ex-couples) there are, in comparison with most other professions. So intimate and so insular and so all-absorbing.

There are more than a handful of couples in my workplace, for some similar reasons, but not at all to the same degree.

Edited by nanushka
5 hours ago, yukionna4869 said:

It looks like Emma von Enck had a small belt malfunction in the 4Ts. I think she handled it quite well. 

Oh, that's what that was!  I was there last night, was busy concentrating on Sara Mearns and Jared Angle, and suddenly something flew into the wings ...  I had no idea what I'd just seen tossed offstage!  Mystery solved.  

I've just returned from tonight's performance, too.  I loved experiencing all the classic Balanchine ballets, one after the other, each one more beautiful and compelling than the one before, with amazing dancing from virtually everyone on stage.  Naturally, Peck & De Luz were the showstoppers of the evening in the Tchaikovsky Pas de Deux.  I can't remember how many curtain calls they took, four or five maybe.  Both are such astonishing, virtuosic dancers, and I don't think the audience expected anything less than the speed and precision with which they danced.  What I found interesting was the large number of people who left after their performance.  Maybe it was a combination of the late hour plus the damp, foggy weather, or else the Symphony in Three Movements which followed was not compelling enough after the Peck-De Luz fireworks.  As an aside, I've never seen Savannah Lowery perform before (she was in Symphony in Three tonight and also in Agon last night), but I can now understand why she's not a favorite.  She seems ... ungainly.  Even when on pointe, she appears flat-footed.  Glad I was able to see her perform, though, and wishing her well in her future endeavors.  Unfortunate for her that she had to dance tonight alongside the likes of Sterling Hyltin and the wonderful, elegant Taylor Stanley.  They made Symphony in Three a wonderful, uplifting way to end this great evening.

I was also at tonight's performance. I loved the risk Peck and De Luz took for those fish dives. The second one she almost got out of his arms and I loved it. I have seen Tiler many times in Tchai Pas but in terms of technicality tonight's was the best. Joaquin brought the house down with the huge jumps and excellent partnering. I also enjoyed Kowroski in Apollo and Hyltin(and pretty much everyone) in Symphony in Three. Lastly, I hope Finlay continues to work on his stamina. 

Regarding Lowery, I've seen her perform better than tonight. She was technically strong dancer at one point in her career then started to appear less and less on stage(possibly because of the injuries). It's a pity because I did enjoy her dancing when she was "on". I wish her the best for the rest of the spring season. 

I totally agree with the accolades about last night's performances and just want to give a shout out about Le Tombeau de Couperin.  If I ever doubted the genius of Balanchine, this particular ballet -- where its incredible inventiveness just keeps on coming and coming -- should be counted as one of his masterpieces.  And this current crop of NYCB dancers did it justice.  As much as I'm looking forward to this same program on Sunday, I especially look forward to this piece.  Although it may not be show stopper for newbies, last night's audience seemed very attentive to its charms.

16 minutes ago, bobbi said:

I totally agree with the accolades about last night's performances and just want to give a shout out about Le Tombeau de Couperin.  If I ever doubted the genius of Balanchine, this particular ballet -- where its incredible inventiveness just keeps on coming and coming -- should be counted as one of his masterpieces.  And this current crop of NYCB dancers did it justice.  As much as I'm looking forward to this same program on Sunday, I especially look forward to this piece.  Although it may not be show stopper for newbies, last night's audience seemed very attentive to its charms.

I'm very excited to see this piece for the first time on Sunday. I've read about it from a few sources and am intrigued by it as a (mostly) pure ensemble piece that (I'm tempted to write "nonetheless") seems much admired. I haven't been able to find much video of it, besides the short clip on the NYCB rep page and a few other snippets. If anyone knows of others that may be more substantial, I'd be glad to hear (by either PM or public post). From the bits I've seen, it looks quite lovely.

Edited by nanushka

For me, the clear highlight of both Tuesday and Wed evenings was Maria Korowski.  She was outstanding in Concerto B. on Tuesday and as the lead muse in Apollo last night.  Elegance, grace and refinement are the best adjectives to describe her dancing.  She and Russell Janzen look spectacular together in Concerto B.   

I thought Chase Finlay looked  better as Apollo than in the winter.  He is becoming more and more comfortable in the role, and he didn't seem as winded as he did during the winter season.  However, he still has a lot of work to do in Agon.  His performance with Reichlin in the Agon pdd was completely lacking in tension and excitement.  This is the blandest Agon couple I've ever seen.

Agree with everyone that DeLuz and Peck were thrilling Tschai pas.