This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

XVIII Mariinsky International Ballet Festival 2018

1 hour ago, MadameP said:

Buddy, if you go to the little flower shop called Magnolia, just along the street from Mariinsky (I think it is Ulitsa Glinki) you can buy or order flowers for dancers at the Mariinsky.  That is where many of the dancers themselves go.  They have buckets of roses and other flowers and you can choose which you want and they will make up the bouquet.  If you tell them the date of the performance and the dancer they are for, they will deliver them to the theatre for you.  

Thanks, MadameP.

Well, I got the second ticket to see Angelina Vorontsova’s Cinderella. So *Festival* it's becoming !

I just found video clips of her doing this about a month ago and she's very lovely and impressive.

Also the Mikhailovsky just had a gala that included her but I haven’t found a video clip. But I did find one of Olga Smirnova and she’s quite wonderful as usual. It would be great if she appeared at the Festival again this year.  

2 hours ago, MadameP said:

the little flower shop called Magnolia, just along the street from Mariinsky (I think it is Ulitsa Glinki)

Yes it is - Ulitsa Glinki 3-5 :  look across Dekabristov street for restaurant Teatro on the corner of Glinki and Magnolia should be in that street on the left. Correct, MadameP  ??

This casting has been posted today. It's all in-house so far with the only thing somewhat different being Odette-Odile: Nadezhda Batoeva. Added to the list of performances is The Four Seasons, March 18.

8 March
Thursday
19:00
The Sleeping Beauty

Princess Aurora: Viktoria Tereshkina 
Prince Désiré: Vladimir Shklyarov 
The Lilac Fairy: Ekaterina Kondaurova 
The Diamond Fairy: Sofia Ivanova-Skoblikova 
Carabosse the Wicked Fairy: Igor Kolb 
Princess Florine: Maria Shirinkina 
Bluebird: Alexei Timofeyev

9 March
Friday
The Sleeping Beauty

Princess Aurora: Olesya Novikova 
Prince Désiré: Timur Askerov 
The Lilac Fairy: Oxana Skorik 
The Diamond Fairy: Valeria Martynyuk 
Carabosse the Wicked Fairy: Islom Baimuradov 
Princess Florine: May Nagahisa 
Bluebird: Yevgeny Konovalov

11 March
Sunday
20:00
Marking 200 years since the birth of Marius Petipa. Gala Concert

14 March
Wednesday
19:30
Swan Lake
Odette-Odile: Ekaterina Kondaurova 
Siegfried: Timur Askerov 
von Rothbart: Roman Belyakov 
The Prince’s Friends: Yana Selina, May Nagahisa, Vasily Tkachenko 
The Jester: Yaroslav Baibordin

15 March
Thursday
Don Quixote

Kitri: Renata Shakirova 
Basilio: Philipp Stepin 
Gamache: Dmitry Pykhachov 
Espada: Konstantin Zverev 
Street Dancer: Tatiana Tkachenko 
Mercedes: Olga Belik 
Flower-Sellers: Yana Selina, Nadezhda Gonchar 
The Queen of the Dryads: Anastasia Lukina 
Amour: Tamara Gimadieva 
Variation: Valeria Martynyuk

16 March
Friday
Swan Lake

Odette-Odile: Oxana Skorik 
Siegfried: Yevgeny Ivanchenko 
von Rothbart: Andrei Yermakov 
The Prince’s Friends: Yana Selina, May Nagahisa, David Zaleyev 
The Jester: Vladislav Shumakov

17 March
Saturday
13:00
Die Puppenfee
one-act ballet

Performance by the Vaganova Ballet Academy

17 March
Saturday
Don Quixote

Kitri: tba 
Basilio: tba 
Gamache: Vasily Shcherbakov 
Espada: Alexander Sergeev 
Street Dancer: tba 
Mercedes: Alisa Rusina 
Flower-Sellers: Salome Figueiredo de Santana, Vlada Borodulina 
The Queen of the Dryads: Yekaterina Chebykina 
Amour: Svetlana Russkikh 
Variation: Yana Selina

18 March
Sunday
13:00
The Four Seasons

Elena Yevseyeva and Xander Parish

18 March
Sunday
20:00
Giselle

Giselle: Yekaterina Osmolkina 
Count Albrecht: tba 
Hans: Islom Baimuradov 
Myrtha: Yekaterina Ivannikova 
Classical duet: Renata Shakirova, Alexei Timofeyev

20 March
Tuesday
The Fountain of Bakhchisarai

Maria: Anastasia Kolegova 
Vaslav: Yevgeny Ivanchenko 
Ghirei: Yuri Smekalov 
Zarema: Yekaterina Chebykina 
Nurali: Grigory Popov

21 March
Wednesday
Swan Lake

Odette-Odile: Nadezhda Batoeva 
Siegfried: Xander Parish 
von Rothbart: Konstantin Zverev 
The Prince’s Friends: Sofia Ivanova-Skoblikova, Anastasia Lukina, Yevgeny Konovalov 
The Jester: Grigory Popov

https://www.mariinsky.ru/en/playbill/playbill?type=ballet&year=2018&month=3
(click on the event to see casting)

Edited by Buddy

So a few personal thoughts after a very brief look. As for something different and possibly outstanding, there’s still the Gala Sunday and the Saturday before to be announced. There’s also a Tuesday before a Swan Lake that’s open. Normally there are no Festival performances on a Monday.

I look forward to Oxana Skorik as Odette-Odile (Swan Lake). Yekaterina Osmolkina is always wonderful as Giselle. I wish Nadezhda Batoeva much success as Odette-Odile. Maria Shirinkina will appear briefly as the Princess Florine (Bluebird duet, Sleeping Beauty), which should be very lovely. Alina Somova and Kristina Shapran, whom I was hoping to see, are yet unlisted. Anastasia Lukina  will be The Queen of the Dryads. May Nagahisa, whom I know nothing about, is being given three appearances.

I’m a big Xander (Parish) fan so I’m glad to see him in Swan Lake and The Four Seasons. And I’m glad to see The Four Seasons for the first time on stage, although it’s different from the general theme.

And there are many more fine artists as usual. Although we’re pretty familiar with most of them doing what they’re doing, there’s always the chance that one or two might give ‘the performance of a lifetime.’ This would be special. The Festivals, for me, have always been more about quality performances than inventive programming, although programming has had some very fine years. Let’s see what yet develops. 

11 hours ago, Buddy said:

there’s still the Gala Sunday and the Saturday before to be announced.

Between you and me :D  they are hoping to put on the short ballet "Seasons" for Sat 10th March eve. Am hoping to be in Spb tomorrow for Osipova Legenda and will try to extract some info re the 11th gala program.

10 hours ago, mnacenani said:

Between you and me :D  they are hoping to put on the short ballet "Seasons" for Sat 10th March eve. Am hoping to be in Spb tomorrow for Osipova Legenda and will try to extract some info re the 11th gala program.

Thanks, Mnacenani. All I can really say is that Saturday evening remains a great chance to have a guest star doing one of the classics, Swan Lake, Giselle.... It could make the week quite special.  Olga Smirnova, for one, would be wonderful !

Added: Have a great visit and I hope that you see a very fine performance.

Edited by Buddy

I guess that I have to reiterate that

3 Swan Lakes
1 Giselle
2 Sleeping Beauties
2 Don Quixotes
1 Gala
and More, 
in 14 days,  

by one of the very best ballet companies (by certain criteria, probably ‘The’ very best) is quite exceptional. I maybe take all this somewhat for granted by now, but the amount of work and the quality of talent involved is quite staggering. 

4 hours ago, MadameP said:

Bolshoi's Alexandrova and Lantratov are confirmed for the Don Quixote performance on 17th March.

Great news !  Thank you.

Kitri should be just fine for her. She was at the Festival about ten years ago. I've seen her do different things, but one of the finest performances that I've seen from anyone was her Raymonda with the Paris Opera Ballet eight years ago.

He's a very fine artist and partner.

I missed this earlier, but Yekaterina Chebykina, whom I like very much, will be The Queen of the Dryads. Last year she danced Diamonds with Xander Parish in what I thought was one of the most beautiful performances of that Festival. 

Edited by Buddy

I've mentioned that one of the performances that I’m most looking forward to is that of Oksana Skorik in Swan Lake. I’ve just seen a one minute view of her dancing La Bayadere and she has elevated again in artistic fineness. I believe that there is a video clip posted of her making a significant bobble in this same appearance. This sort of thing doesn’t overly bother me if I see basic fineness (perhaps even greatness!) throughout and the ‘challenges’ don’t overwhelm this.

I still feel that she is probably the most basically beautiful ballerina today. The video clip, for me, confirms that she’s consistently growing. 

I compare her to the very young and remarkably talented Vaganova graduate, now at the Bolshoi, Alyona Kovalyova. My preferences go back and forth. What Oksana Skorik currently exhibits is a remarkable artistic maturity. If she maintains this and performs 'consistently', her Swan Lake at the Festival could be one of the very finest performances that I’ve ever seen. She’s almost accomplished this at two previous Festivals. 

Still no word on the possible appearances of Alina Somova and Kristina Shapran, whom I would really like to see. Alina Somova is listed for one major appearance at the end of this month and Kristina Shapran has several leads this month and next that include La Sylphide , Marguerite and Armand and Cinderella.

Edited by Buddy
typo corrections and a slight rewording
On 2/11/2018 at 11:16 AM, Buddy said:

Thanks, Mtthwbrehm, for your thoughts.

Based on your continued enthusiasm and what I've seen on the internet I may try to see Angela Vorontsova twice although it might involve a tight schedule from the airport. I've never bought flowers for a ballerina before, but I'd be glad to give it a try. If I do and you want your name included on a card please send me a personal message. At the Mariinsky I've often seen a lady arriving with an armload of very beautiful  bouquets, which I assume she's delivering for customers. It's a lovely sight and a lovely gesture.

Sorry I have not responded to this message, but I will send a personal message! Thank you so much

As posted on the Petipa-200th thread, the gala on March 11 (Petipa’s actual birth date) will be a live telecast to all countries that receive the French Mezzo Channel. Gergiev conducts. Program includes Vikharev’s recon of the Petipa/Drigo Flora’s Awakening.

11 hours ago, CharlieH said:

As posted on the Petipa-200th thread, the gala on March 11 (Petipa’s actual birth date) will be a live telecast to all countries that receive the French Mezzo Channel. Gergiev conducts. Program includes Vikharev’s recon of the Petipa/Drigo Flora’s Awakening.

Good find, Charlie. Thank you.

This is the content as you already posted.

Petipa/Vikharev’s Flora’s Awakening

Balanchine’s Midsummer Night’s Dream (assume an excerpt) 

[Konstantin] Keichel’s new (or reconstructed?) choreography  for Glazunov’s The Seasons

http://www.mezzo.tv/nos-programmes/soiree_hommage_a_marius_petipa_theatre_mariinsky_11032018

Does anyone know who Konstantin Keichel is ?

"The Seasons" should not be confused with "The Four Seasons" being performed the following week.

Charlie, it looks like you got something of the Balanchine content that you were hoping for. Balanchine’s Midsummer Night’s Dream and Konstantin Keichel's The Seasons are certainly a deviation from the literal theme of the series, but 'atmospherically' there might prove to be a good connection. 

12 hours ago, CharlieH said:

How wonderful! 

I've only seen a really bad quality version of it on youtube with Obraztsova and Shklyarov and it still looked beautiful. It will be great to see all the magic in HD! 

Hopefully a worldwide DVD/Blu-ray release of the gala is in the cards as well. I remember a Sergeev Sleeping Beauty performance aired on Mezzo TV in 2015, with Somova and Shklyarov as Aurora and Desire, but the DVD was a Japanese only special release. I believe a few others were the same. Hopefully this one, considering the occasion, won't be the same. 

Edited by NAOTMAA
10 hours ago, NAOTMAA said:

How wonderful! 

I've only seen a really bad quality version of it on youtube with Obraztsova and Shklyarov and it still looked beautiful. It will be great to see all the magic in HD! 

Hopefully a worldwide DVD/Blu-ray release of the gala is in the cards as well. I remember a Sergeev Sleeping Beauty performance aired on Mezzo TV in 2015, with Somova and Shklyarov as Aurora and Desire, but the DVD was a Japanese only special release. I believe a few others were the same. Hopefully this one, considering the occasion, won't be the same. 

Glad to be the bearer of good news.

As for the recent Japanese DVD of Sleeping Beauty...the good news is that you may not have missed much, as that is the 1950s Soviet version...the same version that you can see on earlier Kirov DVD releases starring Kolpakova and, later, Lezhnina. The entire world is still waiting for a filming & DVD/BluRay of the magnificent Imperial Tsarist version, as reconstructed by Vikharev.

Edited by CharlieH
10 hours ago, Buddy said:

Good find, Charlie. Thank you.

This is the content as you already posted.

Petipa/Vikharev’s Flora’s Awakening

Balanchine’s Midsummer Night’s Dream (assume an excerpt) 

[Konstantin] Keichel’s new (or reconstructed?) choreography  for Glazunov’s The Seasons

http://www.mezzo.tv/nos-programmes/soiree_hommage_a_marius_petipa_theatre_mariinsky_11032018

Does anyone know who Konstantin Keichel is ?

"The Seasons" should not be confused with "The Four Seasons" being performed the following week.

Charlie, it looks like you got something of the Balanchine content that you were hoping for. Balanchine’s Midsummer Night’s Dream and Konstantin Keichel's The Seasons are certainly a deviation from the literal theme of the series, but 'atmospherically' there might prove to be a good connection. 

Buddy, Keichel is new to me. Many of my ballet pals first assumed that this is the same as the 2017 ballet “The Four Seasons” but, no, that one was by a different choreographer to Vivaldi’s score (arr. by Richter). I’m sincerely hoping that Keichel works in the reconstruction/classical mode, although, to the best of my knowledge, the Harvard Notes don’t include Petipa’s Seasons. However, we know the scenario and a lot of the stage action from reviews and other contemporary accounts. There’s enough fodder to allow for a Lacotte-style  imagining of Petipa’s 1900 ballet. One can hope.

As for Midsummer Dream, there is definitely a Petipa-classical connection, not just because of Balanchine’s new-classical style. Petipa himself created a one-act ballet in 1876 that used much (not all; no Wedding March) of the Mendelssohn, plus new short pieces by Minkus (!).  Alas, the Petipa Dream is not in the Harvard collection but, hey, we have the Balanchine - Petipa’s spiritual son! I’m wondering which portion will be shown in the gala?

I find it odd that Bayadere’s Shades Entrance isn’t on the program but perhaps the producers think that it’s enough to present the full ballet during the festival.

I’m so grateful that this program is being telecast, so that at least I’ll be able to eventually see a part of the Petipa celebrations in St-P...through the kindness of friends in Europe with recorders. I’ll be on a cruise soon, for much of this month, but look forward to reports. I do plan to attend the Moscow celebrations and conference in June, so can report back on that. 

Edited by CharlieH
54 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Glad to be the bearer of good news.

As for the recent Japanese DVD of Sleeping Beauty...the good news is that you may not have missed much, as that is the 1950s Soviet version...the same version that you can see on earlier Kirov DVD releases starring Kolpakova and, later, Lezhnina. The entire world is still waiting for a filming & DVD/BluRay of the magnificent Imperial Tsarist version, as reconstructed by Vikharev.

Believe me if it were the reconstruction I would have not hesitated a second to shell out the $75-80 it cost to get a copy shipped to the US. I bought a region free DVD player just for occasions like that  :D Although I didn't get that one since as you said there are other filmed versions in region 1 much cheaper with more iconic Aurora's.

I don't mind the Sergeev version as it does have it's moments. The 2006 Royal ballet, which is closer to Petipa, is very good too. But after seeing the reconstruction I've come to the opinion that regardless of what versions claim to be more "authentic and true" they're all still missing something. Extra little things, or big things in some cases, make it something completely different in spirit and meaning. 

I still hold a little hope that one of the two performances next week will be filmed but I'm ready to accept they won't. 

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

Buddy, Keichel is new to me. Many of my ballet pals first assumed that this is the same as the 2017 ballet “The Four Seasons” but, no, that one was by a different choreographer to Vivaldi’s score (arr. by Richter). I’m sincerely hoping that Keichel works in the reconstruction/classical mode, although, to the best of my knowledge, the Harvard Notes don’t include Petipa’s Seasons. However, we know the scenario and a lot of the stage action from reviews and other contemporary accounts. There’s enough fodder to allow for a Lacotte-style  imagining of Petipa’s 1900 ballet. One can hope.

As for Midsummer Dream, there is definitely a Petipa-classical connection, not just because of Balanchine’s new-classical style. Petipa himself created a one-act ballet in 1876 that used much (not all; no Wedding March) of the Mendelssohn, plus new short pieces by Minkus (!).  Alas, the Petipa Dream is not in the Harvard collection but, hey, we have the Balanchine - Petipa’s spiritual son! I’m wondering which portion will be shown in the gala?

I find it odd that Bayadere’s Shades Entrance isn’t on the program but perhaps the producers think that it’s enough to present the full ballet during the festival.

Thanks, Charlie, for this additional information as to the connection of Midsummer Night’s Dream and The Seasons to the Festival’s theme. I didn’t know or even suspect this.

There is a Dreaminess to all these works, which I like. If only part of Midsummer Night’s Dream is performed, as you suggest, I would guess and hope that it would be the second part with the beautiful duet and the more formal setting. Your idea of having included the entrance of the Shades would have fit perfectly as perhaps the finest statement of a ballet Dreamworld. 

Do you see any other elements connecting these works — music, structure, story, history, aura….?

17 minutes ago, Buddy said:

Thanks, Charlie, for this additional information as to the connection of Midsummer Night’s Dream and The Seasons to the Festival’s theme. I didn’t know or even suspect this.

There is a Dreaminess to all these works, which I like. If only part of Midsummer Night’s Dream is performed, as you suggest, I would guess and hope that it would be the second part with the beautiful duet and the more formal setting. Your idea of having included the entrance of the Shades would have fit perfectly as perhaps the finest statement of a ballet Dreamworld. 

Do you see any other elements connecting these works — music, structure, story, history, aura….?

Certainly nature, Buddy. Flora and fauna. The elements.

It’s curious that, when Petipa himself first revived his Midsummer Dream at the Mariinsky in 1889, it was part of a triple bill of one-act ballets, along with The Enchanted Forest (Lev Ivanov/Drigo) and Caprice of the Butterfly (Petipa/Krotkov). Definite connections there!

I wonder if Gomes has been able to keep himself in top performing shape? Or, maybe the better question is how has he been able to? I can't imagine he'd take on that gig if he wasn't sure he'd be in top form, but, then again, maybe he signed up for this before he resigned from ABT. Taking class everyday doesn't cut it. If anyone attends this on March 18, please report back.

The Sleeping Beauty

I thought that the evening was very good and very well received. Viktoria Tereshkina, for the most part, was as fine as I’ve ever seen her. Interestingly, it was at the Festival some years ago that she performed the usual version of The Sleeping Beauty and I felt that it was her best previous performance.

Yekaterina Kondaurova, always enchantingly beautiful, as the Lilac Fairy had one exceptional passage of theatrical brilliance, which she’s extremely capable of producing. She’s probably the most versatile and adaptable of the Mariinsky ballerinas so I’m always paying attention to how she handles something new. I thought that she did very well with an artistic expression that seemed to capture the mood and the vocabulary of motion very effectively and meaningfully.

Maria Shirinkina, for the second year in a row as Princess Florine from the Blue Bird duet, was very lovely. Alexei Timofeyev as the Blue Bird did very well and was a very fine partner. There was one flying lift that they breathtakingly accomplished.

It’s really nice to see Vladimir Shklyarov (and his wife, Maria Shirinkina) back. This work doesn’t give him much of a chance to display his aerial bravura, but he did very well with a fine sense of theater.

The ‘famous’ and lengthy violin solo was absolutely gorgeous as usual. Each year it seems to get better. This year Lyudmila Tchaikovskaya (very appropriate name) was the violinist. She made one transition to complete silence that I found to be marvelously accomplished.

The character principals,Vladimir Ponomarev and Elena Bazhenova as the king and queen were excellent as usual. He always amazes me. She was equally fine this year.

As usual there are many other names that deserve mention.

I ‘d like to add that the children, both on stage and in the audience, were absolutely precious.

I don’t know anything about how this Sergei Vikharev “revival” is supposed to look, but I enjoyed it very much. It had a very nice historic aura. The style had nuances that were new to me. It was inviting, very interesting and had a definite excitement. It also displayed a different and more demanding theatrical commitment and I liked how the dancers did their best with it. I’m perfectly fine with the usual Mariinsky version, but also wouldn’t mind seeing this one as part of the repertoire.

Added:

The casting for the Gala is now on line. I'm particularly happy to see Alina Somova as Aurora in The Sleeping Beauty excerpt and Oxana Skorik in the beautiful Midsummer Night's Dream duet.

https://www.mariinsky.ru/en/playbill/playbill/2018/3/11/1_2000

(Thanks to ElenaK at Dansomanie)

Edited by Buddy
speling correction

I saw the opening night of the SB reconstruction also, as well as two performances of Cinderella at Mikhailovsky, but not much time for reviews. I will try to write Cinderella reviews later.   Anyway, don't think I have ever seen as many dancers on the Mariinsky stage as in act 1 and also the 3rd act, where the courtiers, fairy tale characters etc seemed to pour onto the stage.  I only have time for some brief impressions.  Firstly, while Viktoria Tereshkina was chosen for the opening night Aurora, and was secure in all her balances in the Rose Adagio, raising her arm to 5th in the attitudes en promenade, etc, she is not my idea of an ideal Aurora.  However, as Buddy says, she was  well received.  It was wonderful to see so much extra work for the little Vaganova students on stage - and the Tom Thumb children's dance is much better in the reconstruction.  Maria Shirinkina was absolutely beautiful as Princess Florine - such wonderfully soft arms and hands and lines and charm personified.  Sofya Skoblikova-Ivanova as the Diamond Fairy showed off what must surely be the finest entrechats6 in the company - such height and crisp beats and beautifully stretched feet.  Personally I do not like no dancing for the Lilac Fairy after the prologue, and I REALLY do not the costume for Desire.  I have to truthfully say that Shklyarov looked like a little man in a huge costume.  He was dwarfed by the ridiculously large ringletty wig and equally huge hat - he is such a handsome man, but it was hardly possible to see his face - and also by the courtiers in character heels, who were many of them taller than him.  Notwithstanding, when he finally got to show his dancing, he performed an OUTSTANDING variation, to the greatest applause of the night.  It was good to see Oksana Marchuk in the Cinderella dance in the 3rd act, but a character shoes pd2 unfortunately.  Russkikh was an adorable Red Riding Hood, and Yana Selina saucy as the White Cat, and showing off some perfect double gargouiallades.  Backtracking now, of the prologue fairies, I loved the elegant, flowing Ostreikovskaya as the first fairy Candide, but all were good.   It was so wonderful to see the full Panorama, complete with moving scenery and lighting - I wish more companies did this.  And Lyudmila Tchaikovskaya's violin solo as usual brought the house down.  It's just magical.  I have seen videos of the original Vikharev reconstruction and this production of the reconstruction was largely faithful to it, although maybe not in every respect  - whether or not we like it, is another thing!  Some of it I Loved - especially the dance and whole scene with the "knitting gils" at the beginning or the first act.  The apotheosis is wonderful with the backdrop of the lilac fairy and attendants in the clouds.  OK - Personally, I do NOT like some of the costumes - notably the Garland Waltz blue and white costumes, which look a little like nurse's uniforms! - BUT ... this production is a triumph.  The house was packed to the rafters with many standing and numerous curtain calls and flowers...  

Edited by MadameP

It all sounds so amazing! If only they filmed it :( Even more cruel and unfair since the cameras are going to be there for the gala in 2 days :crying: I hope someone gets the whole thing on YouTube for a while before it's forced off

Edited by NAOTMAA