This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT 2017 Met season

Kochetkova was brought in to partner with the short male dancers at ABT-  Cornejo and Simkin.  With Simkin joining the Berlin company, and Cornejo approaching retirement, Kochetkova's usefulness may be scrutinized more closely in the next season or two.  Moreover, they now have Lane as a principal, with Trenary and Brandt having the potential to also move up the ladder.  These factors make Kochetkova less essential as the "go to"  partner for the short guys.   Kochetkova is Bolshoi trained, and that may be a factor in her favor if the Russian audience turn out for her performances.  She is quite popular at SFB.

What ABT really needs is another tall male principal.

I know Kochetkova isn't that popular in this forum but I've met multiple audience members who were appalled at seeing Lane instead of Kochetkova. Plus, you never know who the male dancers prefer to dance with. Some dancers are just easier to partner and has better partnering skill. At one point Seo was the most popular partner among the tallish dancers in ABT.

I completely agree regarding the tall male principals. Now that Bolle, Hallberg, Gomes aren't dancing as much or retiring certain roles, ABT has to coach Royal, Hoven, and Forster in case of emergency. There will be mayhem if either Whiteside or Stearns get injured. 

2 minutes ago, alexL said:

I know Kochetkova isn't that popular in this forum but I've met multiple audience members who were appalled at seeing Lane instead of Kochetkova. Plus, you never know who the male dancers prefer to dance with. Some dancers are just easier to partner and has better partnering skill. At one point Seo was the most popular partner among the tallish dancers in ABT.

Having a substitute is always going to disappoint some audience members. I saw Kochetkova substitute for Cojocaru in Swan Lake. I didn't make it through the whole ballet because I was so bored. Expectations carry weight. I knew Cojocaru would bring something unique to the ballet and Kochetkova wasn't very interesting to me.

As far as partnering goes. Casting is a jigsaw puzzle. It's not as simple as giving a bunch of shows to the woman who a lot of men like to partner.

2 minutes ago, vipa said:

As far as partnering goes. Casting is a jigsaw puzzle. It's not as simple as giving a bunch of shows to the woman who a lot of men like to partner.

As far as I know, ABT's AD actually did ask some male principals who they'd prefer to parner up with and it did affect casting. However, this was a few seasons ago so their "partnering system" could be different now. 

Regarding Lane, I wasn't trying to offend any of her fans(I'm one of them). Just wanted to say that there are people out there who'd rather see Kochetkova(or any dancer with Russian training) than Lane. 

Truth be told, some people would rather see any ballerina who is Russian than a ballerina from any other nationality. I know this because a very dear friend of mine is one of those people. Now, when I ask her to explain the reason she is so pro-Russia other than the fact that she, herself, is Russian, she has no answer. It's not really about the ballet itself, or the quality of ballet presented, but rather the person on stage.

Different strokes for different folks, obviously. Same goes for those who adore Copeland and claim that she's the absolute best O/O, Giselle, and/or Kitri they've ever seen in their entire life, even if she's the only O/O, Giselle, and/or Kitri they've actually seen in their entire life. It's their opinion and their entitled to it.

7 hours ago, vipa said:

Agree with all whole heartedly, Kaysta. I also expect Lane to be a factor in Ratmansk's Harliquin and get a couple of Giselles. Personally I don't see why ABT needs Kochetkova.

I look at it differently.  I don't see why Kochetkova needs ABT.  She has enough going on between SFB and other guestings and galas, that the few shows she does get to do at ABT seem needless to me.  With winning the Positano Premia la Danza de Leonide Massine Prize, I am sure she will be invited to dance in additional venues.  I would not be surprised if we do not see her at ABT this year.  

4 minutes ago, its the mom said:

I look at it differently.  I don't see why Kochetkova needs ABT.  She has enough going on between SFB and other guestings and galas, that the few shows she does get to do at ABT seem needless to me.  With winning the Positano Premia la Danza de Leonide Massine Prize, I am sure she will be invited to dance in additional venues.  I would not be surprised if we do not see her at ABT this year.  

Well, I would imagine the opportunity to dance with some regularity at the Met in front of a very large audience and to cultivate a fan base in one of the dance capitals of the world does have some appeal. Though you're certainly right, it may not be enough to keep her here. (I, for one, would not be sad to see her give up the spot.)

6 hours ago, alexL said:

At one point Seo was the most popular partner among the tallish dancers in ABT.

Was she? Is this just based on the fact that she was being cast 3 times a week throughout several Met seasons? I never imagined that was because all the guys were clamoring to dance with her.

1 hour ago, nanushka said:

Was she? Is this just based on the fact that she was being cast 3 times a week throughout several Met seasons? I never imagined that was because all the guys were clamoring to dance with her.

I was actually referring to the time when she was still a soloist (at that point she was dancing the principal roles though)

To respond to the posting that Russians prefer Russian ballerinas, it may be a cultural affinity. I have always preferred American dancers. I relate to their openness, geniality in their dance, free and unpretentious way of executing the steps, their lyricism, and in the case of my favorites--Sarah Mearns, Tiler Peck, and Gillian Murphy--their attack, go for broke approach to the role. Not to say that some Russian dancers do not have these qualities, but the Russian way of training is different from, let's say, SAB.

On 9/14/2017 at 5:36 AM, CTballetfan said:

To respond to the posting that Russians prefer Russian ballerinas, it may be a cultural affinity. I have always preferred American dancers. I relate to their openness, geniality in their dance, free and unpretentious way of executing the steps, their lyricism, and in the case of my favorites--Sarah Mearns, Tiler Peck, and Gillian Murphy--their attack, go for broke approach to the role. Not to say that some Russian dancers do not have these qualities, but the Russian way of training is different from, let's say, SAB.

I do think national affinity may be part of it. In Joan Acocella's New Yorker piece about Diana Vishneva's farewell, she summed up perfectly what I often do not like about Russian ballerinas:

"How hard they can be! Over-rehearsed, over-styled, lacquered—bronzed. Some people like that in the Russians. It makes them feel they got their money’s worth."

My favorite Russian ballerinas from the past decade — Vishneva and Part — are exceptions to this description. They are intensely human, soulful performers, each in her own way, never overly "lacquered." They mix the best of Russian and American qualities, IMHO.

Edited by fondoffouettes
Edited for accuracy
1 hour ago, CTballetfan said:

I have always preferred American dancers. I relate to their openness, geniality in their dance, free and unpretentious way of executing the steps, their lyricism, and in the case of my favorites--Sarah Mearns, Tiler Peck, and Gillian Murphy--their attack, go for broke approach to the role. 

And musicality! (Thank you for that, Mr. Balanchine.)

2 hours ago, fondoffouettes said:

I do think national affinity may be part of it. I

I think national affinity, ethnic affinity, and racial affinity all contribute to the decision of some ticket buyers to purchase one performance versus another, or to attend at all.  That's true not only of ballet, but of theater and other art forms too.

I think I respond more to company style than nationality. I can appreciate dancers of all nationalities and training but there are some companies' styles (NYCB, Mariinsky) that I respond to more than others (Paris Opera Ballet -- I know they're great dancers but I just don't respond to their rather cool, clinical style of dancing).

6 hours ago, ABT Fan said:

In Devon Teuscher's Instagram today, she writes about an open rehearsal tonight at City Center called "Coaching Principal Roles" for "an exciting upcoming principal role this year". I wonder if she's alluding to La Bayadere?

https://www.instagram.com/devon.teusch/?hl=en

A commenter in that post discusses seeing Teuscher and Lendorf rehearsing the R&J balcony scene at the City Center event, so that must be the role. I'd love to see her take on Nikiya this season, as well, though.

This is a total pipe dream, but I wonder if there's any possibility that Part is being engaged in this season in a limited manner, as originally planned. She posted this Bayadere image, with a very positive caption, a week ago.

As abatt has noted, contracts for the spring must have been finalized recently, what with Kotchetkova's departure and Simkin's recent news. Obviously, Part's post could be about some other news, or about nothing at all, but I'd give anything to see her as Nikiya again. 

Edited by fondoffouettes
3 hours ago, ABT Fan said:

I'm really surprised it was R&J. I don't see Teuscher as Juliet at all. Hopefully, Lane will also get that role. I'd much rather see Teuscher debuting in Bayadere.

I agree 100%. I think Teuscher would make a great Nikyia, in fact I'd love to see her with Schevchenko as Gamzatti - but I don't see Teuscher as Juliet. At all.

5 hours ago, Golden Idol said:

Hello, it's 2017. Acocella wrote about Vishneva's farewell, not Croce.

Of course. There are much more tactful ways to point out factual errors, which are usually just the result of simple mental lapses, distorted memories of what one saw onstage, typos, etc. But I appreciate the correction nevertheless.

2 hours ago, fondoffouettes said:

Of course. There are much more tactful ways to point out factual errors, which are usually just the result of simple mental lapses, distorted memories of what one saw onstage, typos, etc. But I appreciate the correction nevertheless.

My thoughts exactly.

23 hours ago, fondoffouettes said:

A commenter in that post discusses seeing Teuscher and Lendorf rehearsing the R&J balcony scene at the City Center event, so that must be the role. I'd love to see her take on Nikiya this season, as well, though.

This is a total pipe dream, but I wonder if there's any possibility that Part is being engaged in this season in a limited manner, as originally planned. She posted this Bayadere image, with a very positive caption, a week ago.

As abatt has noted, contracts for the spring must have been finalized recently, what with Kotchetkova's departure and Simkin's recent news. Obviously, Part's post could be about some other news, or about nothing at all, but I'd give anything to see her as Nikiya again. 

As would I and many others.  It does not sound likely.  Would Part even want to go back  to ABT after being dumped?

1 hour ago, Marta said:

As would I and many others.  It does not sound likely.  Would Part even want to go back  to ABT after being dumped?

Yeah, I think it's highly, highly unlikely given how acrimonious the break was. Just dreaming... Maybe she will at least land some guesting opportunities with another company.

I was surprised, like others, that it is Juliet that Teuscher is rehearsing rather than Nikiya or even Gamzatti. (Abrera and Lane would be at the top of my Juliet list.) But I still think Teuscher could make much of Juliet, and the role would perhaps help her break out of her sometimes remote stage presence. If Seo and Murphy can be Juliet, then why not Teuscher? 

I'm curious why others don't see Teuscher as a Juliet. Height? Technique? Temperament?

Edited by fondoffouettes