This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT 2017 Met season

2 hours ago, mussel said:

Published in tomorrow NY Times Arts & Leisure new season section, the reps will be 

Giselle

La Bayadere 

R&J

Swan Lake

Don Q

Whipped Cream

Harlequinade

Firebird, new McGregor

Reading this list is like doing the exercise you did in 1st grade: Which of these things is not like the others? :wink:

Respectfully, I think it's time to let the new principles and soloists shine.  Ferri  has had her time in the sun. It's  time to let others have their turn.   She  was a beautiful ballerina in her day,  and she has had many opportunities in her career to show this to the world.  She is still a beautiful and gifted artist and is not without opportunities to dance. She is still listed as a Guest Artist at the Royal Ballet.    I felt like  she stole  two performances last year from dancers  at ABT who deserved to have their chance.  Certainly Veronika would have done a beautiful job dancing  Tatiana in Onegin. 

Ferri left gracefully once, and now she should gracefully leave it at that.    

Sorry, just my humble opinion.....

1 hour ago, Golden Idol said:

Given the list, I'd doubt it, but does anyone think that there's a possibility Ferri could return again next year? Maybe Nikita...maybe?

Ferri had trouble with the choreography of Nikiya back when she was younger and stronger.  That's why it never became a signature role for her.  She certainly could not do it now. I agree with the above post that it's time for the Ferri  Comeback Tour to end, at least at the Met.  It's great that she is having new works created on her to suit her current level of ability, but she should stop resurrecting her old roles of yesteryear. 

If McKenzie is only inviting one guest artist a season, I can think of a long list of ladies I'd prefer to see over Ferri.

Edited by abatt

Okay, I'm greedy, but I would like to see her return, in whatever would suit her current abilities. I saw her do Marguerite and Armand in London in June with Bolle, and she sold it, absolutely, in ways that neither Natalia Osipova or Zenaida Yanowsky (her farewell performance), for all their merits, could. I guess when the level of artistry is Ferri's I tend to be forgiving to a senior ballerina, in ways I could never be to, say, Julie Kent. 

Heck, it looks like ABT is putting Sleeping Beauty to rest for a year or two. So much for seeing Misty Copeland's Aurora in the USA anytime soon, following her upcoming debut in Australia, unless she performs the role as a guest with another US company. I'm looking forward to my first live view of Ms Copeland at the Kennedy Center this winter. Not sure how substantial may be her role in Whipped Cream but at least I'll be able to  see what all the fuss is about.

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

Heck, it looks like ABT is putting Sleeping Beauty to rest for a year or two. So much for seeing Misty Copeland's Aurora in the USA anytime soon, following her upcoming debut in Australia, unless she performs the role as a guest with another US company. I'm looking forward to my first live view of Ms Copeland at the Kennedy Center this winter. Not sure how substantial may be her role in Whipped Cream but at least I'll be able to  see what all the fuss is about.

I would be very surprised if she is ever cast in Sleeping Beauty at ABT. I think McKenzie and the ballet masters know her limitations, even is she doesn't. Aurora is probably the most technically demanding role in classical ballet and I don't think she would come out looking good. Just my opinion. 

SL is also a very difficult and  technically challenging role. The difference is that in SL, McKenzie allows Copeland (and others) to make whatever  adjustments /changes/modifications they want in order  to get through the role.  I'm not sure how much adjustment Ratmansky would permit in his reconstruction of SB.   In any event, Copeland's audience shows up even if she is cast as Florine, rather than Aurora.

On 9/11/2017 at 2:49 PM, theo said:

Respectfully, I think it's time to let the new principles and soloists shine.  Ferri  has had her time in the sun. It's  time to let others have their turn.   She  was a beautiful ballerina in her day,  and she has had many opportunities in her career to show this to the world.  She is still a beautiful and gifted artist and is not without opportunities to dance. She is still listed as a Guest Artist at the Royal Ballet.    I felt like  she stole  two performances last year from dancers  at ABT who deserved to have their chance.  Certainly Veronika would have done a beautiful job dancing  Tatiana in Onegin. 

Ferri left gracefully once, and now she should gracefully leave it at that.    

Sorry, just my humble opinion.....

I thought at one point in early spring Veronika had been listed for an Onegin.  I don't love that ballet, but would gladly see her in it ... or in anything.

Fingers crossed that both Stella and Sarah Lane get a stab at Juliet. Seems like the bench of Juliet's has really cleared out (with retirements), so we should see a lot of debuts. Fingers crossed that they don't just give Misty an insane number of shows to try and sell tickets. 

I'm assuming that we'll see Christine Shevchenko tackle Odette/Odile- probably replacing Verionika's slot. I wonder who will debut as Nikiya, as I highly doubt we'll see Ferri back this coming season (no much "senior" ballerina rep in the season). Maybe Bolyston and Shevchenko, but I rather see Stella give it a go. From her Instagram, it looks like Skylar is preparing Kitri, so I wonder if that is for the upcoming Met Season. If so, I wonder who would partner her? The short female slots appear to be rather full at the principal level. Unless, Sarah Lane doesn't get a Kitri and/or Maria K doesn't get a show. 

any other thoughts on casting?

Also- can we change the title of this thread to 2018 Met Season? 

2 hours ago, Dancerboy90210 said:

Fingers crossed that both Stella and Sarah Lane get a stab at Juliet. Seems like the bench of Juliet's has really cleared out (with retirements), so we should see a lot of debuts. Fingers crossed that they don't just give Misty an insane number of shows to try and sell tickets. 

I'm assuming that we'll see Christine Shevchenko tackle Odette/Odile- probably replacing Verionika's slot. I wonder who will debut as Nikiya, as I highly doubt we'll see Ferri back this coming season (no much "senior" ballerina rep in the season). Maybe Bolyston and Shevchenko, but I rather see Stella give it a go. From her Instagram, it looks like Skylar is preparing Kitri, so I wonder if that is for the upcoming Met Season. If so, I wonder who would partner her? The short female slots appear to be rather full at the principal level. Unless, Sarah Lane doesn't get a Kitri and/or Maria K doesn't get a show. 

any other thoughts on casting?

Also- can we change the title of this thread to 2018 Met Season? 

Last year's scheduled O/Os were: Murphy, Boylston, Copeland, Kochetkova, Seo, Teuscher and Part. Assuming that Kochetkova returns ( and, unfortunately, there's no reason to suspect that she won't) and that everyone is healthy, that only leaves one O/O spot open. I REALLY hope that it goes to Lane.  Schevchenko has many great attributes but she hasn't struck me as a particularly lyrical dancer. She'd kill the fouettees, but not so much the adagios. At least not yet.

R&J is a different story. Last time they did it in 2016 Vishneva & Ferri both danced Juliet, so there will be at least 1 and hopefully 2 openings.  I hope that Lane gets one - she actually went to Ferri for coaching for this a few years ago - and I'd love to see Trenary get the other spot. But they have to give roles to the new principals so I wouldn't be surprised to see  Teuscher or Schevchenko cast.

Ferri hasn't danced Nikiya in at least ten years so she doesn't factor into casting. However Vishneva and Part both did, so we should have 2 spots open up. I'd like to see Abrera get this, and expect Teuscher or Schevchneko as Nikiya, too. Or maybe we'll get a Teuscher Nikiya with a Schevchenko Gamzetti.

I'm wondering whether Ferri will be back for R&J. If she performs twice and the other usuals get 1each(Murphy, Abrera, Seo, Boylston, Copeland), there's 1 slot left for Juliet (possibly Lane or Kochetkova's). Of course ABT might decide to give Misty 2 Juliets and that will result in 0 debuts. 

If Ferri doesn't come back, then ABT can afford to give Copeland 2 perforances and there will be still 2 more slots left for everyone. 

I'm actually more curious to know who will be dancing in La Bayadere. I think this is one ballet where I'm totally fine with guest artists. I wonder whether they will cast Boylston as Nikiya... I hope they won't... Teuscher/Nikiya and Shevchenko/Gamzatti sounds great. 

I'm expecting both Boylston and Abrera to continue as Gamzatti.    Teuscher is very well suited to do Nikiya, and I hope she gets the role.    I think they might deem Abrera as too old to debut as Juliet.  I hope they allow Lane or Trenary to debut as Juliet.

Copeland gets two performances minimum of everything she's in (that's been the status quo for two years at least). 

I'm expecting to see Lane get a Juliet and I'd also like to see Trenary get one as well. So, if there's the usual 8 shows and Copeland gets two (and Seo usually gets two Juliets as well), then out of the ones already doing the role (Murphy, Seo, Boylston, Copeland), there's room for 2 debuts. I personally don't see Abrera, Teuscher or Shevchenko as Juliet.

For O/O, if there's 8 shows (and I can't imagine there would be any less), Boylston, Copeland x 2, Lane, Murphy, Seo, Teuscher would take 7. Eight if Kochetkova returns. I'd like to see Shevchenko get a shot.

I also like a Teuscher/Nikiya and Shevchenko/Gamzatti scenario. 

I'd love to see Brandt get a DQ.

Edited to add: Of course, if next year is anything like this past season, we could see a lot of last minute debuts (certainly not wishing for any injuries). Murphy is getting injured more frequently and taking longer to recover it seems, so whether or not she's healthy could determine a lot.

Edited by ABT Fan

I think Brandt will get a Kitri this time. She probably should have been given one last spring. She can actually do the steps so....

It's sad to say but I expect both Murphy and Abrera to start retiring certain roles in the near future. Abrera has been fine health wise these last few years (unlike Murphy), but they're both getting close to the point where injuries happen faster, take longer to heal, and the complications from dancing full out while injured could be difficult to recover from. Hopefully they'll be able to dance all of their roles next spring.

And yes, I fully expect Copeland to get two shows of everything and everything regardless of the technical and artistic demands of the roles. ABT wants money, and they've made us well aware of it.

I still think that Abrera will get a Juliet. I always thought of it as a more "senior" role that is less technically demanding. Vishneva danced it for a while and Julie Kent retired in the role. I think if anyone gets a debut in R&J, its Abrera. I have a feeling that she'll partner with Gomes a lot more this coming season, now that Vishneva is out of the picture. I think they'll certainly do Giselle together. 

Gomes has retired Solar from his rep, so I think Abrera might have a harder time finding a partner for Nikiya- but I think she could handle the role. A few parts in the Shades scene give me a little pause, but I remember that she danced a Nikiya variation in a recent gala and posted about it on Instagram- so that makes me think she feels its within her range. I think artistically she has more to offer than a lot of the other principal women (they really need to bring in some additional coaching for all their young principals). They might default to giving Bolyston Nikiya, but I can't think of anyone more ill suited for the role... I think that Shevchenko could develop into a strong Nikiya with time and coaching, but I think Kevin sees her as taking on Murphy's roles. Murphy took a while to get Nikiya. 

4 hours ago, Kaysta said:

I think both Teuscher and Shevchenko would do well as Nikiya, so I hope they both get it.

Lane should definitely get an O/O and it would be great to see her get a Juliet as well.

Agree with all whole heartedly, Kaysta. I also expect Lane to be a factor in Ratmansk's Harliquin and get a couple of Giselles. Personally I don't see why ABT needs Kochetkova.