This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Daniil Simkin joins Staatsballett Berlin

I am so upset about Simkin's departure.  Since this is effective for 2018/2019, I am keeping my fingers crossed that he dances a full 2018 MET season.  I was looking at the Staatballett Berlin website, and it looks like their spring seasons overlap, so I don't know how much he would/could be available to dance at ABT.   

4 hours ago, nanushka said:

I'm disappointed as well. He's really matured as an artist in recent years. He was always exciting to watch, of course.

And he has developed a beautiful classical ballet line, which he was using to great effect, i.e., the Lensky adagio in Onegin and the Boy in Whipped Cream. I will miss that from him most of all.

13 hours ago, angelica said:

And he has developed a beautiful classical ballet line, which he was using to great effect, i.e., the Lensky adagio in Onegin and the Boy in Whipped Cream. I will miss that from him most of all.

I agree. I am very happy for him, but will miss him very much. Like others have said, I doubt he'll perform much w/ ABT going forward (he'll probably be more like a guest artist during the Met season). His acting, partnering, and artistry has improved so much and I have loved watching him grow from a pyro-technique wiz kid into a more complete artist. But, I suppose the silver lining is that it'll open up opportunities for others, most likely Arron Scott and Gabe Shayer.