This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Daniil Simkin Joining Staatsballett Berlin/Is Now Leaving (Announced May 2023)

abatt

2 hours ago, ABT Fan said:

On his IG? I follow him and see no NYC posts…unless he has a second account I’m not aware of.

They are under "Stories", not posts (he hasn't updated those in 6 days or so).

Edit: Sorry for the redundancy, I missed California's response above!

Edited by aurora
3 hours ago, California said:

They're in the stories that scroll across the top. One of Central Park 18 hrs ago. No way to copy those, alas.

EDITED TO ADD: He just posted a story from the Guggenheim Works and Process -- with a masked audience, so presumably recent.

Back to my original question: I haven't seen him listed for Fall for Dance or anything else this fall in NYC. Thus my wonder if he's rehearsing something for the Met next spring while he has a little break in Berlin. (He just finished their Onegin.)

8 hours ago, ABT Fan said:

On his IG? I follow him and see no NYC posts…unless he has a second account I’m not aware of.

California - I know that this is slightly off topic, but I attended four out of the five performances of Of Love and Rage at Segerstrom Auditorium in Orange County in March of 2020, skipping only the Saturday matinee.  It was the weekend before lockdown, and I definitely saw four performances. 

45 minutes ago, Josette said:

California - I know that this is slightly off topic, but I attended four out of the five performances of Of Love and Rage at Segerstrom Auditorium in Orange County in March of 2020, skipping only the Saturday matinee.  It was the weekend before lockdown, and I definitely saw four performances. 

My mistake. I had the impression they only got to do one performance. Was Daniil in any of those performances?

Daniil Simkin is leaving the Staatsballett Berlin. The company had been under interim leadership since 2020, but as of autumn 2023 its artistic director will be Christian Spuck.

https://www.staatsballett-berlin.de/en/blog/onegin-abschiedsvorstellungen/181

The English translation is a little less clear, but of Evelina Godunova, Simkin and Yevgeniy Khissamutdinov the German version reads "die alle drei ihre letzte Vorstellung geben und das Ensemble zum Saisonende verlassen werden."

Edited by volcanohunter
39 minutes ago, California said:

I follow Simkin on Instagram, as I'm sure many of you do too. He just returned from several performances in Australia and is in Rome this month for a couple more. Not a hint of future plans. Let's hope he's negotiating something with ABT!

I don't follow ABT nearly as much as NYCB, but doesn't Simkin already guest with ABT?

2 minutes ago, vipa said:

I don't follow ABT nearly as much as NYCB, but doesn't Simkin already guest with ABT?

He was a guest in Don Q in spring of 2022 at Kennedy Center and the Met. As I remember he was brought in to replace Whitehead after the latter's serious injury in December 2021 in Nutcracker at Segerstrom. But Simkin isn't currently listed in any capacity on the ABT web site: https://www.abt.org/the-company/dancers/

54 minutes ago, California said:

He was a guest in Don Q in spring of 2022 at Kennedy Center and the Met. As I remember he was brought in to replace Whitehead after the latter's serious injury in December 2021 in Nutcracker at Segerstrom. But Simkin isn't currently listed in any capacity on the ABT web site: https://www.abt.org/the-company/dancers/

He also did two performances of the Ratmansky ballet at the Koch in the fall of 2022. I forgot the name of it.  The one that takes place in a sweet shop.

Edited by abatt

It would be great if Daniil were to come back to ABT!   He was still breathtaking when he danced with ABT last spring and fall. 

I remember seeing Daniil listed as principal guest artist at Staatsballett Berlin for maybe the last year or so.   I guess that's what gave him the time to freelance all over the world.   Whatever he decides to do, let's hope we get more chances to see him dance.