This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2017 -- 2018 Season

On 5/27/2018 at 3:46 PM, Gnossie said:

Raymonda is a maiden in distress, Raymonda, Countess de Doris, is happily waiting for her wedding, waiting for her fiancee to come back and then it's almost kidnapped just to be saved at the last minute, definitely not princess Aurora and definitely not Nikiya.

Fine if you enjoy Terioshkina's dancing, I can't stand it and consider it a serious offense to classicism.

How? She's not the most lyrical dancer but her technique is extremely strong. And Raymonda's not delicate. The first Raymonda Pierina Legnani certainly wasn't delicate. She's supposed to be a headstrong princess.

There’s a video clip now of a duet from Raymonda with Viktoria Tereshkina and Super Xander (actually in his cape there might be a resemblance). Both look great.

In recent video clips she looks as lovely as I’ve ever seen her. Her dance is beautiful and she’s showing a lovely subtlety of facial expression. A new and even more beautiful Viktoria Tereshkina, perhaps.

11 hours ago, mnacenani said:

Are you referring to Henrietta ??  :P

Been waiting for you, this time.

There go the goal posts again. Haven't seen Henrietta. Was she 'Remarkably-Incredibly-Beautiful' as well. But, if Gediminas Taranda  had been there he would have run off with the lot of them.

Wait, Giselle takes place in Germany. There are certainly many blondes in Germany. And there have been many great blond Giselles.

Natalia Makarova:

Gelsey Kirkland:

Ekaterina Osmolkina:

Elisabeth Maurin:

There are many other examples. 

Giselle takes place in Germany.

Not exactly. It takes place in Silesia (souwestern Poland), where, by the way, the Western Slavic word "wil/wila" has originated, as Heinrich Heine mentions in his  "beau livre de l'Allemagne", and it survived in literary language up to this day.

This is what Théophile Gautier, the author of the libretto of Giselle, says in his long article published a week after Giselle's première representation that took place on Carlotta Grisi's 22nd birthday.

Pour plus de liberté, l'action se passe dans une contrée vague en Silésie… Loys ou plutôt le duc Albrecht de Silésie… Les chasseurs accourent, Bathilde et le prince de Courlande sortent de la chaumière et s’étonnent de voir le duc Albrecht de Silésie sous un pareil déguisement…

"Loys" is the name by which Albrecht makes himself known to Giselle (I wonder how many of you know this, by the way). In any case, in that part of Europe "blonde" and "blue/green-eyed" is something to be expected of a young girl. Giselle is most certainly not associated with the southern, Mediterranean, look.

On 5/27/2018 at 3:46 PM, Gnossie said:

What Rudolph Nureyev said of Raymonda only shows his ignorance towards the libretto. 

13 hours ago, Gnossie said:

LOL, now Raymonda is supposed to be a headstrong princess, LOL. 

The Raymonda original libretto is one I've never read. Does anyone know if it's available anywhere online? I'm curious how and whether the text itself speaks to this question of her characterization.

Raymonda takes its inspiration from a French « roman de chevalerie ». The female protagonists of such chivalric romances had noble feelings and thoughts, were pure of heart, and delicate of demeanor. I invite you to taste what kind of persons they were by spending an evening with a sample work of that genre. If you are unable to follow the medieval French or the language of Provence, locate a quality English translation. There are some, my recommendation goes with those published in the 19th century in England. It's worth it. It will provide you with a greater appreciation of the ballet next time you see it.

Edited by Laurent
On 5/25/2018 at 10:01 AM, Gnossie said:

Nagahisa and Caixeta (who did not study at Vaganova) to "represent" the Mariinsky at Bolshoi Ballet (tv show).

No comments.  

DISGRACEFUL!!!   Mariinsky represented by non Vaganova dancers?  Ridiculous.  

Edited by MadameP

Not as disgraceful or ridiculous as a non-Vaganova dancer heading the Vaganova Academy.

Otherwise, I watched a couple of clips from Nagahisa, and I find her quite interesting, she has a lot of charm and her technique is sound. I will enjoy watching Bolshoi Ballet with participants like that. I think the importance of the link between Vaganova and the Mariinsky has been overblown. The Mariinsky is a company with an international renown, and really made a splash as innovators when they became the first Russian company to dabble in the works of American choreographers, so some crossover in style and talent is good for them.

But, of course, I would also like it to continue being the bearer and keeper of the St. Petersburg style, so a core group of style-keepers within the company is essential. I just wonder who they are these days, now that Lopatkina has retired, and Diana Vishneva spends more time on her own international projects than dancing at the theater. 

Edited by Fleurdelis

I think the link between Vaganova and Mariinsky is of the utmost importance.  Mariinsky needs to keep the purity of its style, and it needs its Vaganova graduates to do that. As for who is the bearer and keeper of the St Petersburg style ... Osmolkina?  Filipp Stepin among the men.  

Osmolkina looks a bit clumsy for my taste. So does Yana Selina. My picks from among Vaganova graduates who are still active at the theater would be Novikova and Svetlana Ivanova. As for the men, why Stepin when you have Shklyarov?

I hope they quickly find some role for Lopatkina. She would be the perfect rector for the Academy. And Tsikaridze can focus on becoming a TV star.

5 hours ago, Gnossie said:

Absolutely agree. 

Osmolkina is the purest representer of the Vaganova style, and so is Obraztsova even if she is at the Bolshoi now, Ostreikovskaya although a Perm product, represents the Mariinskly style. The only Prima of the company that does represent the Vaganova style is Madame Pavlenko (her Saint Petersburg haters can go to hell, thanks all the best!)

Among the men, Steppin is the only one to be considered Baranov's heir, a true prince.

Yermakov is Ruzimatov's heir. 

Sergeyev (should have been promoted 50 years ago) and Batalov (I'm crying right now) are also pure Vaganova style. 

Absolutely agree with you Gnossie. I am especially looking forward to see Stepin in Don Quixote for the coming Mariinsky tour in Japan this November~December. 

https://www.japanarts.co.jp/mariinsky2018/english.html

On 6/11/2018 at 8:35 PM, Gnossie said:

Absolutely agree. 

Osmolkina is the purest representer of the Vaganova style, and so is Obraztsova even if she is at the Bolshoi now, Ostreikovskaya although a Perm product, represents the Mariinskly style. The only Prima of the company that does represent the Vaganova style is Madame Pavlenko (her Saint Petersburg haters can go to hell, thanks all the best!)

Among the men, Steppin is the only one to be considered Baranov's heir, a true prince.

Yermakov is Ruzimatov's heir. 

Sergeyev (should have been promoted 50 years ago) and Batalov (I'm crying right now) are also pure Vaganova style. 

Gnossie -  Osmolkina and Filipp Stepin were the first to spring to my mind as being the purest representers of Mariinsky style, as I wrote originally.   Of course there are others.   I do agree about Obraztsova also, and also Ivanova mentioned above.  Ivanova is a WONDerful ballerina.  I love Novikova also.   I  Batalov was denied so much - disgusting.  Yermakov though ... to my mind, he cannot be compared with Ruzimatov.  Ruzi was one of a kind - a flamboyant original, which Ermakov is not.

Not as disgraceful or ridiculous as a non-Vaganova dancer heading the Vaganova Academy.

Disgraceful? Ridiculous? Two hours ago the best perhaps in recent memory graduation concert has ended. As a spectacle it was an equivalent of three shows at l'Opéra, Royal Ballet, or at any American company, with the exception of New York City Ballet. 

On 6/12/2018 at 11:38 PM, Laurent said:

Disgraceful? Ridiculous? Two hours ago the best perhaps in recent memory graduation concert has ended. As a spectacle it was an equivalent of three shows at l'Opéra, Royal Ballet, or at any American company, with the exception of New York City Ballet. 

I think Tsiskaridze is doing a magnificent job at Vaganova - not just in terns of the calibre of graduates produced, but also the quality of its productions.  His choice of repertoire alone for graduation performances is wonderful...  

Maria Khoreva's Paquita variation -  what many know as the "alternative" Dulcinea variation or Dudinskaya variation ... outstanding graduate.  

Edited by MadameP
On 6/13/2018 at 1:38 AM, Laurent said:

If one prefers a more lavish, ostentatious, Moscow-style production, then, yes, it was an absolutely smashing spectacle. The old graduations, the filmings of which can still be traced on the Internet, may not have been as richly produced, but were prominent for the quality of the performances that possessed that unique pure, chilly, ethereal and flowing (like the Neva River itself) mystique that is so unmistakeably St. Petersburg.  Whatever St. Petersburg style and amazing graduates that Vaganova still produces is entirely thanks to a few dedicated teachers, who are persevering on and staying true to their teaching methods and tastes.

Edited by Fleurdelis

One of the best moments I had this season anywhere, Shakirova's sublime execution of the female variation from le pas de deux des paysans (Giselle). It warms the heart to see such a deep understanding of what the classical dance is about.

40 minutes ago, Laurent said:

One of the best moments I had this season anywhere, Shakirova's sublime execution of the female variation from le pas de deux des paysans (Giselle). It warms the heart to see such a deep understanding of what the classical dance is about.

And I also see Radiant Sunshine, as usual !  Not a bad combination.

I am very much hoping Shakirova is cast as Gulnare - a role she has danced - when the Mariinsky brings Corsaire to D.C. in April....oh...and that I am able to get to D.C. as planned to see it. Would love to see her live!