Jump to content
Drew

New Company Roster

Recommended Posts

Atlanta Ballet's new roster has been announced. The website still has not been updated with the dancers names--at least not as far as I could find. When the company does update it (anyone from Atlanta Ballet reading this?), I hope they put "company" (the list of dancers with photos and bios) as a menu item on the website's homepage: one currently has to click "about" to get to the dancers.  See article below for the updated roster though:

 

http://www.accessatlanta.com/events/performing-arts/atlanta-ballet-announces-new-company-and-new-season/JUFE8WnwYVPrKd6nOxgHEO/?ecmp=ajc_social_twitter_2014_atlarts_sfp

Share this post


Link to post

At last, more information on what has been going on:

 

New dancers, fresh energy at Atlanta Ballet

http://www.myajc.com/entertainment/arts--theater/new-dancers-fresh-energy-atlanta-ballet/uCfq712oHikQxnqWn3RDsO/

 

"Nedvigin also made plans to expand the company. Word got out. Hundreds of inquiries came in, and Nedvigin invited a few to audition. Last February, he gave a New York audition, which attracted about 180 dancers. Nedvigin then joined about a dozen artistic directors in Barcelona, Spain, for a Grand Audition, where dancers could vie for spots in several ballet companies during one weekend.

Nedvigin worked with Sharon Story, dean of the Atlanta Ballet Centre for Dance Education, to form a training ensemble to groom young dancers for the company."

Edited by pherank

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/20/2017 at 6:17 PM, pherank said:

At last, more information on what has been going on:

 

New dancers, fresh energy at Atlanta Ballet

http://www.myajc.com/entertainment/arts--theater/new-dancers-fresh-energy-atlanta-ballet/uCfq712oHikQxnqWn3RDsO/

 

"Nedvigin also made plans to expand the company. Word got out. Hundreds of inquiries came in, and Nedvigin invited a few to audition. Last February, he gave a New York audition, which attracted about 180 dancers. Nedvigin then joined about a dozen artistic directors in Barcelona, Spain, for a Grand Audition, where dancers could vie for spots in several ballet companies during one weekend.

Nedvigin worked with Sharon Story, dean of the Atlanta Ballet Centre for Dance Education, to form a training ensemble to groom young dancers for the company."

 

I enjoyed the article--particularly regarding Nedvigin's work as a teacher--but I dislike one of its underlying assumptions which is that a classical/neo-classical repertory is automatically less creative than one that emphasizes contemporary dance. Creativity (and lack thereof) can be found in all modes of dance.

Edited by Drew

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Drew said:

 

I enjoyed the article--particularly regarding Nedvigin's work as a teacher--but I dislike one of its underlying assumption which is that a classical/neo-classical repertory is automatically less creative than one that emphasizes contemporary dance. Creativity (and lack thereof) can be found in all modes of dance.

 

There does seem to be a general assumption that contemporary dance is more "wide open" to anything and everything - more experimental. But that is at least partly wishful thinking, imo.

Share this post


Link to post

Wishful thinking and a crude understanding of what creativity is.  Though I enjoyed the rest of the article.

 

I would have been less offended if the article had said McFall's repertory was more experimental--though, to be precise, one should say more experimental vis-a-vis ballet tradition. (Though ballet itself encompasses experimental works such as Episodes and Artifact Suite.) But the "experimental" moniker really just refers to a subset of what McFall did, though certainly a major subset. And sometimes "experimental" means no more than works from the modern dance/contemporary tradition.

 

I have deleted paragraphs and paragraphs that increasingly sounded like ranting even to my own ears. But anyway, I am very interested to see how Nedvigin's plans will pan out.

 

Share this post


Link to post

Nedvigin no doubt recognized immediately that there would have to be changes to classes, training and coaching if AB was going to be able to pull off traditional ballets in a believable fashion. It's not about the basic talent of the dancers (though some take it that way) - the dancer has to have the technical training first. I doubt that audiences will see some sort of huge change in the beginning, but they will notice a different aesthetic is in place, and maybe, new found confidence in the dancing of certain kinds of ballets.

 

Fingers crossed.

Share this post


Link to post

Ex-San Francisco Ballet member Moises Martin (brother of Ruben) has an interesting post on his Instagram feed today. It doesn't qualify as official "news" but you might want to check it out.

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, miliosr said:

Ex-San Francisco Ballet member Moises Martin (brother of Ruben) has an interesting post on his Instagram feed today. It doesn't qualify as official "news" but you might want to check it out.

 

Do you have the URL?

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, miliosr said:

Ex-San Francisco Ballet member Moises Martin (brother of Ruben) has an interesting post on his Instagram feed today. It doesn't qualify as official "news" but you might want to check it out.

 

His account is private.

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/10/2017 at 5:29 AM, miliosr said:

Ex-San Francisco Ballet member Moises Martin (brother of Ruben) has an interesting post on his Instagram feed today. It doesn't qualify as official "news" but you might want to check it out.

Moises's IG account is private and I can't find him anywhere on the Atlanta Ballet website.  However, Ruben tagged Moises in this post:  https://www.instagram.com/p/Bb-H4jTHz6T/?taken-by=rubenmartincintas

Would love to know what Moises is doing....

Share this post


Link to post
45 minutes ago, sf_herminator said:

Moises's IG account is private and I can't find him anywhere on the Atlanta Ballet website.  However, Ruben tagged Moises in this post:  https://www.instagram.com/p/Bb-H4jTHz6T/?taken-by=rubenmartincintas

Would love to know what Moises is doing....

The #teacherslife hashtag makes me think he must be coaching roles. I wonder what Nedvigin is going to do for a Ballet Master/Mistress?

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, KWalsh said:

In the current Nutcracker programs he's listed as a member of the company.

Thanks, KWalsh - that's interesting to hear.

Share this post


Link to post
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...