This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

World Ballet Day 2017, Thursday 5 October

Helene

SFB just posted the schedule for WBD October 5, 2017 (along with a trailer for the event):

https://www.sfballet.org/season/events/2017-world-ballet-day

WORLD BALLET DAY LIVE SCHEDULE (PDT)

October 4
6 pm–11 pm: Australian Ballet
11 pm–4 am: Bolshoi Ballet

October 5
4 am–9 am: The Royal Ballet
9 am–11 am: The National Ballet of Canada
11 am–4 pm: San Francisco Ballet

No indication yet about the companies who provide pre-recorded footage, but those usually occur near the end of each of the above sections.

NOTE: the SFB segment will feature rehearsals of the new ballets by choreographers David Dawson, Annabelle Lopez Ochoa and Dwight Rhoden for the upcoming 2018 UNBOUND festival.

Edited by pherank
3 hours ago, Drew said:

One of the absolute highlights of every world ballet day for me has been Yuan Yuan Tan.  Hope we get to see her! 

That used to be a given, but these days it's more and more about the young ones.  ;)

Hopefully you were able to watch her dancing in the new Edwaard Liang piece under development for the upcoming festival:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYhpmqnv7j8

[about 12:00 minutes into the video - this is the "highlights" version which edits out some things]

I'm hoping we're going to get to see Ana Sophia Scheller do some dancing.

Edited by pherank

Scheller just posted a video short of her Sleeping Beauty rehearsal with Angelo Greco, at the same time that Sasha De Sola announced that the rehearsals for the UNBOUND Festival have ended, so it could be we will be seeing only known ballets in rehearsal.

SFB announced on their Instagram page that they were excited to be broadcasting to China on Tencent, so I can guess what that means: certain Chinese and Chinese-American/Canadian dancers will be seen in the broadcast...

On 10/3/2017 at 10:31 PM, pherank said:

[...]

Hopefully you were able to watch her dancing in the new Edwaard Liang piece under development for the upcoming festival:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYhpmqnv7j8

[about 12:00 minutes into the video - this is the "highlights" version which edits out some things]

Thank you for the link to  Yuan Yuan Tan's rehearsal of Liang's new ballet--it inspired to catch up with all the Unbound footage this evening. At least all that is up on youtube right now. (I missed it when it was live-streamed and hadn't checked it out before.) I have never see Tan live in the theater, but I always find her just extraordinary on video. Lucky San Francisco!

39 minutes ago, Drew said:

Thank you for the link to  Yuan Yuan Tan's rehearsal of Liang's new ballet--it inspired to catch up with all the Unbound footage this evening. At least all that is up on youtube right now. (I missed it when it was live-streamed and hadn't checked it out before.) I have never see Tan live in the theater, but I always find her just extraordinary on video. Lucky San Francisco!

Great, Drew - I do recommend downloading these videos when they first come out, because SFB (and others) will edit down the broadcast to a final, approved version. And the original is always more interesting.  ;)

Well back to WBD 2017...

Currently NBoC is rehearsing a Justin Peck work, Paz de La Jolla.  Chelsy Meiss is in a lead role (red leotard):  for those who saw Romeos and Juliets, she is the dancer who was 5th or 6th cast, which wasn't supposed to go on, and she convinced Ratmansky to give her and her partner a chance.

The pianist is amazing.

ETA:  I hope Peter Boal is watching.

This year Felipe Diaz is one of the broadcast hosts, which is fun, but we're going to miss watching Felipe give class - he's a great class leader. ;)
Dance Educator Mary Wood is known for her Meet the Artist interviews (SFB podcasts).

A few dancers missing from the SFB class. I wondered in the past why Sofiane Sylve doesn't appear in the WBD class, but she has stated in an interview that she always takes class with the trainees (taught by SFB School associate director Patrick Armand) because that class runs for an extra half hour (and she needs that at her 'senior' age). I have to think she's also trying to have more time in close contact with the students that she teaches.

Just now, Helene said:

According to the announcers, Jahna Franziskonis has been recently promoted to Principal.  (The website doesn't reflect this at the moment.)

I think that was a misspeak. Sorry.  ;)

Edited by pherank
3 minutes ago, Helene said:

I think they meant "Soloist."

Yes - she was just promoted to Soloist at the end of last season, and hasn't had a chance to appear yet as Soloist. It would be very unusual to then promote a dancer again without their having performed anything.

FYI: Natasha Sheehan (purple top with white lines and black tights) is at the front right of the class group with Mathilde Froustey. Natasha is the new "It Girl", I would say.

LOL, when I heard the "principal" mis-announcement about Jahna, I shot right over to their website to confirm that, yes, it was simply referring to her soloist promotion.

Yes, Natasha S. has certainly got a front row spot. She's dancing beautifully. I'm also happy to see Madison Keesler dancing in the SFB studio again. She, too, looks good.

10 minutes ago, Terez said:

Would have liked to see Joseph Walsh. And Carlo. And I'm surprised there's no Frances. My guess is that less than 50 dancers are present - what do others think?

And Tiit, Kochetkova and Sofiane (but I mentioned that earlier). I don't mind the fact that dancers can do other things - it's not a forced participation.  ;)

Frances is in Toronto with Joseph Walsh at a gala, I believe.

Edited by pherank