This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

How to find live streamed performances

We're moving back from Florida to the Philadelphia area. I have been wondering if there is some way to get alerts or a schedule for live streaming events in Philadelphia and nearby cities (DC, NY). Is there a site which lists all the different companies/services which stream ballets, so that if someone is going to screen within driving distance I get a heads up?

I don't think there is any one site. However, only two companies are active in the cinema screening market in the United States.

The Bolshoi has the widest distribution, and you can find information on its screenings here: http://www.bolshoiballetincinema.com 

The Royal Opera House has a "screening search" feature on its site, but it's not reliable, so you would have to double check the listings. These screenings are rarely "same-day" in the U.S.: https://www.roh.org.uk/cinemas

Sadly, the Paris Opera Ballet will be doing only one live cinemacast next season, a Pite/Perez/Shechter bill in March, and while POB screenings do pop up from time to time in the U.S., I don't know of a reliable way of finding them. Perahps someone else does.

Social media accounts are an option for keeping track, although in the case of the Royal Ballet you may have better luck by following the feeds of the local cinema carrying the broadcasts. 

Edited by volcanohunter

Having just spent 3 hours updating my calendar with ROH, Bolshoi, MetHD performances, I have a word of warning.

Most of my time was spent going to the websites of the cinemas I typically go to to find out when the performances listed on the company websites will actually be shown.  Lots of room for error here.  Some theaters present the performances on different days or at different times.  Some performances are not presented at all.

The most "easy to miss" performance I ran into was Bolshoi's "The Taming of the Shrew" which is listed by Bolshoi as shown on 11/26/17, but at my theater it was moved to 11/19/17 (the only Bolshoi they moved).......I presume it was moved due to Thanksgiving.  In another theater all performances were moved to 11:00am on Sundays (which is actually good for me).

I've been waiting to do the research on this, since the theater chain that has been showing much of the Royal Ballet work just closed several screens in Seattle and things have been in flux.  I get so frustrated with the lack of promotional information from the theaters -- I wonder sometimes if they want anyone to come to any of these...

At the moment I don't think there is any ROH content scheduled to screen in any U.S. cinema, which doesn't mean that the company isn't trying to find distribution. It's just that the theater doesn't seem to be very good at keeping distributors, and there aren't that many of them. It wouldn't hurt to write to the ROH to ask when the screenings will appear. They will respond, even if you only get a pat answer along the lines of "we are always adding new cinemas, so keep an eye out..." Seriously, chime in at the comments section at the bottom.

http://www.roh.org.uk/news/royal-opera-house-live-cinema-season-201718

......not even the Pickford Theater in Bellingham

sandik,

The Pickford is showing the Royal.  Here's what I found in my research yesterday.  Note my format is weird (I have my reasons :wink:).  Bottom line is to look at the end of each line to see the Pickford dates/times.  Also note that as far as I can tell Die Zauberflöte is not being shown in the USA.

Ballet
- Wheeldon/Talbot: Alice's Adventures in Wonderland - 23 October 2017; at Pickford 12/3/17 @ 11:00am
- Wright/Tchaikovsky: The Nutcracker - 5 December 2017; at Pickford 12/24/17 @ 11:00am
- Wheeldon/Talbot: The Winter's Tale - 28 February 2018; at Pickford 4/1/18 @ 11:00am
- new McGregor/The Age of Anxiety/new Wheeldon all-Bernstein program - 27 March 2018; at Pickford 5/20/18 @ 11:00am
- MacMillan/Massenet: Manon - 3 May 2018; at Pickford 6/17/18 @ 11:00am
- Petipa, Ivanov (Scarlett)/Tchaikovsky: Swan Lake (new production) - 12 June 2018; at Pickford 7/15/18 @ 11:00am

Opera
- Die Zauberflöte - 20 September 2017 (apparently not being shown in the USA)
- La Bohème - 3 October 2017; at Pickford 11/19/17 @ 11:00am
- Rigoletto - 16 January 2018; at Pickford 2/11/18 @ 11:00am
- Tosca - 7 February 2018; at Pickford 3/11/18 @ 11:00am
- Carmen - 6 March 2018; at Pickford 4/22/18 @ 11:00am
- MacBeth - 4 April 2018; at Pickford 6/3/18 @ 11:00am

Edited by SandyMcKean
21 hours ago, volcanohunter said:

At the moment I don't think there is any ROH content scheduled to screen in any U.S. cinema, which doesn't mean that the company isn't trying to find distribution. It's just that the theater doesn't seem to be very good at keeping distributors, and there aren't that many of them. It wouldn't hurt to write to the ROH to ask when the screenings will appear. They will respond, even if you only get a pat answer along the lines of "we are always adding new cinemas, so keep an eye out..." Seriously, chime in at the comments section at the bottom.

http://www.roh.org.uk/news/royal-opera-house-live-cinema-season-201718

Thanks for the nudge -- I spoke my piece on their website. 

13 hours ago, SandyMcKean said:

sandik,

The Pickford is showing the Royal.  Here's what I found in my research yesterday.  Note my format is weird (I have my reasons :wink:).  Bottom line is to look at the end of each line to see the Pickford dates/times.  Also note that as far as I can tell Die Zauberflöte is not being shown in the USA.

Ballet
- Wheeldon/Talbot: Alice's Adventures in Wonderland - 23 October 2017; at Pickford 12/3/17 @ 11:00am
- Wright/Tchaikovsky: The Nutcracker - 5 December 2017; at Pickford 12/24/17 @ 11:00am
- Wheeldon/Talbot: The Winter's Tale - 28 February 2018; at Pickford 4/1/18 @ 11:00am
- new McGregor/The Age of Anxiety/new Wheeldon all-Bernstein program - 27 March 2018; at Pickford 5/20/18 @ 11:00am
- MacMillan/Massenet: Manon - 3 May 2018; at Pickford 6/17/18 @ 11:00am
- Petipa, Ivanov (Scarlett)/Tchaikovsky: Swan Lake (new production) - 12 June 2018; at Pickford 7/15/18 @ 11:00am

Well, if all else fails, I can schlep up the freeway for these.  You must have skills I lack -- I looked on the theater's website as well as the Royal's, and didn't see a thing.

You must have skills I lack......

Nah, it just takes time (took me 3 hours to figure out ROH, MetHD, and Bolshoi performances, which cinemas, and to get the schedule into my calendar).  The trick for the Pickford is to step thru the calendar month by month found on their website looking at Sundays.

Edited by SandyMcKean