This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Fjord Review

I subscribe to email updates from the Fjord Review - an excellent dance review website    - and today I received the following email:

The Value of Criticism
LETTER FROM THE EDITOR

It is a pleasure to present the insightful, original and valuable writing on dance that features on Fjord Review. As you know our website and archive is freely accessible, and we rarely make a call for subscribers to support us. However, now is that time.

Today I'm asking for two things from you: the first is maybe more important—feedback. What do enjoy reading on Fjord, and what do you want to see more of? Reply to this email with your comments, which I look forward to reading.

The second is the easy part—a small donation. If each subscriber donates just $10, we will make our target budget for the remainder of 2017. Your gift goes towards funding the work of some twenty dance writers—they all happen to be women, if that is added inducement!

It's an extraordinary time to be reflecting on ballet & dance. I thank you for your support, and look forward to continuing to publish work that gives vital critical context to new and repertory work on stages all around the world.

Yours,
Penelope Ford

What you can look forward to...

More stunning dance photography
We love bringing you beautiful, inspiring and daring imagery by renowned dance photographers from around the world. Slated for 2017 are more exciting photographic projects as well as film. Please help us support the artists who create our stunning visual work.

More features
Our essayists have raised important issues in the ballet and dance world, writing on such topics as the feminine narrative, democracy, and the poetics of dance. If you like long reads that encourage you to think outside the box, support us: we will provide.

Choreographer archives & interviews
As well as our regular interviews with choreographers, artistic directors and dancers, we are in the midst of building a comprehensive choreographer archive, where you can easily find information on iconic makers and new and emerging talent. With your support, we can develop this new educational resource.

The best dance writing
Some have lamented the disappearance of dance critics posts from the major newspapers. Newsflash! They're probably not coming back. But take heart because at Fjord Review we provide weekly in-depth analyses of dance by top-flight writers, critics and scholars. And you'll be supporting a cast and crew of some twenty women! We believe in the value of dance criticism for dance, and we know you do too, so please help us support it!

So tell me. . .what moves you?
Reply to this email with your comments, and let us know your favourite sections on Fjord, or what you'd like to see more of.

7 minutes ago, Olga said:

They do have some interesting, in depth articles. Thanks for reminding me about the email. I deleted it without reading very much in it. Now I think I will send them a small contribution. 

That's good of you. I did too.  ;)

It's a worthwhile collection - constantly growing - and it does take money to keep these websites afloat. I appreciate the fact that they actually review West Coast dance events.

Announcement from the Fjord Review Staff:

The Print Edition
We're thrilled to announce the launch of our print magazine - out in December! The print edition will feature new dance reviews, as well as a selection of our best dance writing from the year, feature-length articles, profiles, and stunning photoshoots with some of the brightest stars of the stage.
Take a peek at the campaign video below, created by animator and designer Lorenzo Spatocco. As this is a limited print run, supporting the campaign is the only way to ensure your copy. Each edition comes with free international shipping, and some lovely rewards!