This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Fall 2017 Season

6 hours ago, sandik said:

Like many artistic directors, McKenzie is trying to nurture working choreographers while he curates their historic repertory.

Forgive me for being a bit of a wiseguy but if Christopher Wheeldon and Benjamin Millepied need to be "nurtured" at this point then they might as well hang it up. :wink:

Edited by miliosr
36 minutes ago, miliosr said:

Forgive me for being a bit of a wiseguy but if Christopher Wheeldon and Benjamin Millepied need to be "nurtured" at this point then they might as well hang it up. :wink:

Point taken -- they don't need the help so much as they just need opportunities to make work.  And dance audiences still have a bit of the vampire in them whatever part of the field you look -- they want new work.

The Wheeldon ballet, when first premiered at ABT, was very well received. I think it's reasonable to bring it back. And the only way for the company to get better at dancing Ashton is to keep it regularly in the repertory--and hire the right coaches. One of the things I like best about Mckenzie's ABT is its commitment to Ashton--which does very much differentiate the company from, say, NYCB and any number of other companies.

But I agree about the overall lack of balance in the season and am genuinely baffled that the company doesn't present at least some of the standard Tudor more regularly at the State Theater. They have any number of dancers who (properly coached) could make a very strong impression in his works--at least I think so...

Edited by Drew

I don't know whether I'm asking this question in the correct place ...... but I'll be in NY in October & am planning to see a couple of performances around 19th- 22nd. There currently seem to be plenty of tickets left so I don't know whether to buy now or wait in the hope of ticket offers nearer the time. Can anyone tell me if that is at all likely or whether it's better to buy now when there's a good choice of seats in the cheaper categories. I'm thinking not more expensive than 2nd ring so any advice on value in the 2nd ring upwards would be much appreciated. 

5 hours ago, annamk said:

I don't know whether I'm asking this question in the correct place ...... but I'll be in NY in October & am planning to see a couple of performances around 19th- 22nd. There currently seem to be plenty of tickets left so I don't know whether to buy now or wait in the hope of ticket offers nearer the time. Can anyone tell me if that is at all likely or whether it's better to buy now when there's a good choice of seats in the cheaper categories. I'm thinking not more expensive than 2nd ring so any advice on value in the 2nd ring upwards would be much appreciated. 

In past seasons, I've sometimes seen 50% off tickets to NYCB at the TDF ticket booths. I don't remember seeing ABT, but haven't been in town to check during the fall season. Look under "discount booths" to see what is offered for today and for tomorrow's matinees.

https://www.tdf.org/

But you don't really know until the event has started if they will have things. If they do, you can typically pick out a seat once you get to the ticket booth. Note that they now have a ticket booth at Lincoln  Center (In the Rubenstein atrium) along with the ones at Times Square, etc.

Alternatively, if you join TDF, you can see offerings in all genres, including dance, farther ahead in time, but I don't think you can pick out a seat and you need to buy a membership: https://www.tdf.org/nyc/10/TDF-Member-Tickets

6 hours ago, annamk said:

NYCB tickets are sold at discount on the day of performance at the Rubenstein Atrium  Atrium DiscounTix lincolncenter@lincolncenter.org.  I'm not aware of  discount ABT tix being sold  other than possibly TDF.  The second ring center seats in the State Theater [AKA K**h] are terrific, especially in the last row where there is no one behind you.  Center section third ring is quite good in the front, if they're selling third ring.

On 8/18/2017 at 1:23 PM, its the mom said:

About Cirio - It was announced by English National that he would be a guest artist for the fall season:  "Joining as Guest Artists next season are Jeffrey Cirio, Principal at American Ballet Theatre, who performs with the Company for the Autumn/Winter season ..."  

Since it says that he's joining EN for the Autumn/Winter season, I wonder how long of a commitment that really is. Looking at Cirio's Instagram, he's currently in London presumably already rehearsing. Is he only doing their MacMillan celebration in Oct? Or joining any of their tours in Nov/Dec and/or performing into January? ENB's website doesn't elaborate. He's not cast for the lead in ABT's Nutcracker (but, he hasn't been in the past). ABT is touring from the end of January through all of February and then to Asia for part of March. Wondering if he'll join only part of that. Since they're touring Whipped Cream, that could open up opportunities for another short dancer to take on the Boy (I'm thinking Aaron Scott and/or Gabe Shayer). They should add a fourth Boy anyway since Cornejo is frequently out with injuries and we don't really know Simkin's full involvement going forward either. 

Edited to add: with Hallberg, Bolle, Lendorf, Gomes, Cirio and now Simkin all committed to other companies and projects that take them away from ABT's performing schedule, that only leaves Stearns and Whiteside as their full-time / year-round male principals. Oi!

Edited by ABT Fan
17 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

Since it says that he's joining EN for the Autumn/Winter season, I wonder how long of a commitment that really is. Looking at Cirio's Instagram, he's currently in London presumably already rehearsing. Is he only doing their MacMillan celebration in Oct? Or joining any of their tours in Nov/Dec and/or performing into January? ENB's website doesn't elaborate. He's not cast for the lead in ABT's Nutcracker (but, he hasn't been in the past). ABT is touring from the end of January through all of February and then to Asia for part of March. Wondering if he'll join only part of that. Since they're touring Whipped Cream, that could open up opportunities for another short dancer to take on the Boy (I'm thinking Aaron Scott and/or Gabe Shayer). They should add a fourth Boy anyway since Cornejo is frequently out with injuries and we don't really know Simkin's full involvement going forward either. 

Edited to add: with Hallberg, Bolle, Lendorf, Gomes, Cirio and now Simkin all committed to other companies and projects that take them away from ABT's performing schedule, that only leaves Stearns and Whiteside as their full-time / year-round male principals. Oi!

I left off Cornejo. So, that makes three full-time / year-round male principals. Still.

1 hour ago, ABT Fan said:

Cirio did perform the lead in ABT's Nutcracker last year with both Boylston and Lane, I believe.  

In this interview, he says he is performing "Akram Kahn’s Giselle, [Kenneth] MacMillan’s Song of Earth, [August] Bournonville’s La Sylphide, The Nutcracker, and [Rudolph] Nureyev’s Romeo and Juliet," and will be back to ABT on January 1. https://settingthebarreblog.com/tag/cirio-collective/

Edited by its the mom
3 hours ago, its the mom said:

Cirio did perform the lead in ABT's Nutcracker last year with both Boylston and Lane, I believe.  

In this interview, he says he is performing "Akram Kahn’s Giselle, [Kenneth] MacMillan’s Song of Earth, [August] Bournonville’s La Sylphide, The Nutcracker, and [Rudolph] Nureyev’s Romeo and Juliet," and will be back to ABT on January 1. https://settingthebarreblog.com/tag/cirio-collective/

Thank you for this!

Cirio made his debut as Hilarion in Khan's Giselle for ENB on Thursday afternoon.  He repeats the role on Saturday I think.  It's a bigger role than in more traditional stagings, and he certainly threw himself into it with  admirable energy and comittment.  

I don't think casting details for the other ENB productions are available yet. 

On 9/22/2017 at 6:28 AM, Lynette H said:

Cirio made his debut as Hilarion in Khan's Giselle for ENB on Thursday afternoon.  He repeats the role on Saturday I think.  It's a bigger role than in more traditional stagings, and he certainly threw himself into it with  admirable energy and comittment.  

I don't think casting details for the other ENB productions are available yet. 

I'm really wishing I could see this ballet -- tour!!!

So many things that would be great for the 2018 Lincoln Center Festival: along with the ENB Giselle, it would be nice if they brought some of their "Lest We Forget" program from 2014. And how about the Houston Ballet's Mayerling? They need venues. They are the only people in North America who have been permitted to perform it.   Or perhaps they could all head to the Kennedy Center for 2018-19.

5 minutes ago, California said:

So many things that would be great for the 2018 Lincoln Center Festival: along with the ENB Giselle, it would be nice if they brought some of their "Lest We Forget" program from 2014. And how about the Houston Ballet's Mayerling? They need venues. They are the only people in North America who have been permitted to perform it.   Or perhaps they could all head to the Kennedy Center for 2018-19.

2018 LSF will bring in POB, so I doubt it will present another classical company. However, don't rule out Joyce, as it has brought RB, MCB, NB Canada, Joffrey, and SFB to the State Theater in the past few years.

2 minutes ago, mussel said:

2018 LSF will bring in POB, so I doubt it will present another classical company. However, don't rule out Joyce, as it has brought RB, MCB, NB Canada, Joffrey, and SFB to the State Theater in the past few years.

Fingers crossed! Any announcements of rep by the POB?

News from the company:

COUNTERPOINT FOR PHILIP JOHNSON BY BENJAMIN MILLEPIED SCHEDULED FOR SELECT PERFORMANCES OF AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE’S FALL SEASON, OCTOBER 18-29, 2017

PERFORMANCES TO TAKE PLACE AT INTERMISSION ON THE PROMENADE OF DAVID H. KOCH THEATER

COSTUMES DESIGNED BY RAG & BONE

American Ballet Theatre has added a new work to its performance lineup for the Fall season, October 18-29, at the David H. Koch Theater. Counterpoint for Philip Johnson, choreographed by Benjamin Millepied, will be performed on the theater’s Promenade during intermission of select evening performances. It was announced today by Artistic Director Kevin McKenzie.

Counterpoint for Philip Johnson, an ode to the theater’s architect, is set to Nagoya Marimba by Steve Reich and features 24 dancers from American Ballet Theatre’s Studio Company and Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis School. With costumes by American sportswear designer Rag & Bone and lighting by Brad Fields, Counterpoint for Philip Johnson is the first work to be performed by ABT outside the proscenium setting of the Koch Theater. “Ben takes his work off the stage and offers the audience a different point of view,” said McKenzie. “I think it will challenge one’s expectations of how to experience dance.”

Tickets for American Ballet Theatre’s 2017 Fall season at the David H. Koch Theater, priced from $25, are available online, at the Koch Theater box office or by phone at 212-496-0600. Performance-only tickets for the Opening Night Gala begin at $25. The David H. Koch Theater is located at Lincoln Center, Broadway and 63rd Street in New York City. For more information, visit ABT’s website at www.abt.org.