This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2017 Fall Season

6 minutes ago, cobweb said:

I do not follow the dancers on social media. Have any of the other O/O's posted their dates on (public-facing, of course!) social media? 

I too was creeped out by the inert snow queen ad. 

Four days ago, Tiler Peck posted on Instagram that she looks forward to performing Swan lake this fall:

Here's the text she wrote with this: 

"First day back at #nycballet :) started a new ballet and rehearsing Swan Lake... in absolute heaven ❤️just like how I feel dancing this Midsummer pas! Dancing literally heals the soul and some things feel like treasures to get to dance" 

Oh this clip of Tiler Peck is so beautiful. Exquisite dancing. I wish I was seeing her debut in SL. I am seeing whoever is dancing opening night--I assume Mearns or Reichlen. No slouches either of them! Casting should be up sometime this coming week. Can't wait for NYCB's fall season to start!

24 minutes ago, audreydoll said:

Sara Mearns posted on instagram that she is dancing on opening night, Sept 19.  Her other dates are Sept 23 matinee and Sept 30 evening.

Yes! Thanks for letting me know. I have not seen her in the role but I look forward to the passion she brings to every role she plays.

28 minutes ago, angelica said:

Does anyone know whether (a) Maria Kowroski will be dancing Swan Lake this season, and/or (2) specifically when casting will go online for SL--i.e., will it be Tuesday, September 5th, at 10:00 am, because that's when the box office will be open on that date?

I have no inside information but strongly doubt that Maria K will be doing the full length Swan Lake. 

On 9/3/2017 at 3:32 PM, audreydoll said:

Sara Mearns posted on instagram that she is dancing on opening night, Sept 19.  Her other dates are Sept 23 matinee and Sept 30 evening.

Thanks for the update!  I have tickets for one of those performances.   I've been checking NYCB website daily, but they haven't posted any  castings yet.   Can't wait for the Fall season!

1 hour ago, Leah said:

I'm a newcomer to NYC and am seeing Bouder on the 21st. I was hoping for Reichlen, but I've never seen this company in person before so I don't know. Any opinions on whether I should change my ticket, and if so to whom?

Just my 2 cents. Each of the women cast in SL is technically strong and has a unique artistic voice. I bought a ticket not knowing who I would see (something I would never do at ABT) because I wasn't worried about what cast I would see. I've seen Mearns, Hyltin & Reichlin and would happily see any one of them again. They each brought something significant to the role. I'm seeing Bouder for the first time. She is know for her super technique but over time, her artistry has become more and more evident. I am looking forward to it. If I found out that I had a ticket for a different cast, I would still be looking forward to it! 

The casting is quite a departure for NYCB.  Martins has only been casting medium to tall ballerinas as O/O in SL up until this point.  Casting "short girls" in the role like Megan and Tiler is a new path at NYCB. 

Where  is Robbie Fairchild in this casting news?  He is in New York.  (He will be appearing at the  Chita Rivera Dance Awards ceremony in Manhattan  on Sept 11.) He has done Siegfried before, and he has become an audience favorite.  And yet he is not cast.

I had a feeling Jared Angle would give up the role of Siegfried.   The technical demands of the solos are too much for him at this stage of the game. 

3 hours ago, abatt said:

The casting is quite a departure for NYCB.  Martins has only been casting medium to tall ballerinas as O/O in SL up until this point.  Casting "short girls" in the role like Megan and Tiler is a new path at NYCB. 

Where  is Robbie Fairchild in this casting news?  He is in New York.  (He will be appearing at the  Chita Rivera Dance Awards ceremony in Manhattan  on Sept 11.) He has done Siegfried before, and he has become an audience favorite.  And yet he is not cast.

I had a feeling Jared Angle would give up the role of Siegfried.   The technical demands of the solos are too much for him at this stage of the game. 

Believe it or not, Hyltin is shorter than Peck. Peck's greatest weakness has always been her proportion. My none ballet fan friends often regarded Peck as "the really short one". In fact, Peck is 5'6". Same thing for Bouder. She is about the same height as Hyltin but fans often think that she is extra short. 

Hyltin is my favorite in NYCB's swan lake and Reichlen is close second. To me, Hyltin is a true all rounder along with Fairchild. While I love Peck in pretty much everything, she isn't my first pick for a full length classical rep. I'm very excited to see her in SL regardless. 

I've decided to see all 6 casts as I'm on a vacation. Hopefully I don't regret my decision after the first one. 

53 minutes ago, alexL said:

I've decided to see all 6 casts as I'm on a vacation. Hopefully I don't regret my decision after the first one. 

You won't regret your decision if you remember that you are not going to see ballets, you are going to see dancers. They really are two different perspectives.

27 minutes ago, angelica said:

You won't regret your decision if you remember that you are not going to see ballets, you are going to see dancers. They really are two different perspectives.

That's my approach as well. Martin's SL puts me into a REM sleep each time I see it. The only time I actually pay attention is when O/O is on stage. I also have lower expectation level for the NYCB dancers when they perform Petipa ballets. I just plan to see their own interpretation of the character. 

35 minutes ago, alexL said:

That's my approach as well. Martin's SL puts me into a REM sleep each time I see it. The only time I actually pay attention is when O/O is on stage. I also have lower expectation level for the NYCB dancers when they perform Petipa ballets. I just plan to see their own interpretation of the character. 

😴