This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2017 Fall Season

3 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

I just revived the Restless Creature thread in the Documentaries section if interested in sharing your all's thoughts--would love to hear them! That was the only thread I found on the film, but if there is a more active one, could somebody point me to it?

could we please talk about the fall season and swan lake and not restless creature? 

did anyone go to megan's performance tonight. any updates???

44 minutes ago, sonatina1234 said:

could we please talk about the fall season and swan lake and not restless creature? 

[...]

I thought Wonderwall was just letting people know about the revived thread under "Documentaries" so people could join the discussion there if they wished to talk about it  (rather than talk about it here).

9 hours ago, ABT Fan said:

That's pretty typical behavior for any AD actually. Especially, if they need to give notes that pertain to the second or third act since they have little time before intermission ends. Even if it's after the ballet ends, an AD will want to share notes with the dancers asap, while everything is still fresh in everyone's minds, and so everyone can get home before 2am.

Same here in Seattle -- Peter Boal has a regular seat on the aisle and usually is out of his seat and halfway to the backstage door by the time the lights come up for the bows. 

15 hours ago, Kathleen O'Connell said:

It's also streaming on Netflix, and is available to rent on Amazon and iTunes. 

I was wondering how it was possible that I missed Restless Creature being uploaded to Netflix, until I realized it was uploaded yesterday! Thanks for the info, will be watching in the next few days.

Also-- truly on pins and needles about Megan's performance. Any intell?

I thought Faichild and Garcia were mostly terrific in their debuts last night.  This was the only pairing I've seen this season at NYCB where there was any chemistry between the two leads.  They work beautifully together, and they should be paired up more often.  Garcia's partnering and acting were excellent.  He  has never been a daredevil virtuoso, but he did well enough to get through his solos.  The biggest surprise was how wonderful Megan Fairchild performed.  I've always thought of her more as a soubrette, but last night she proved that she can also dance dramatic tragedies.  She does not overact or attempt to overemote.  Everything was in balance and in good taste.  No vamping or evil smirking during Act III. Her technique was pretty near perfect throughout the entire ballet, but that is not surprising because she has always been a strong technician    I got worried for a second when she started the fouettes, because she was doing doubles but losing control.  She quickly switched over to neat and perfectly controlled singles, and she filled out all the music for that section. (I didn't count the fouettes.)  Everything she did was done with textbook precision and clarity.  She seduced Siegfried with her powerful dancing and presence.  There is room for improvement; at times I wished that she had stretched her line more, or bent her back more.  Possibly that will improve in the future. 

Edited by abatt

I too found Megan Fairchild and Gonzalo Garcia a surprising delight. I would not have thought to cast her in this role, but she showed dramatic range without looking artificial or overdoing it. Of course, she was up to the technical challenges. And they are just wonderful together, the chemistry is palpable, brimming with trust and affection. I actually prefer to see her with Garcia now, more than de Luz. 

Edited by cobweb

I'm so happy that I took a chance on the Martin's SL. I was prepared by posters here for the awful costumes and scenery so that was no surprise. This was the only date I could go and I guess I would have chosen a Mearns performance based on reputation but I was happy to see what M. Fairchild would do with the role. I agree with those above that it was a beautiful performance that she should be very proud of. I hope Martins casts her in this in future seasons - yea for the short girls! My only qualm and it is minor, is that she seemed to run out of steam during the fouettes. After the breakneck tempo of the earlier acts, the fouette section seemed slow or maybe her turns just seemed slow. But as stated above the singles were clean and well timed to fill out the music. She and Gonzalo were marvelous together; his acting and their chemistry more than made up for any possible lack of virtuosity from him. He is such a warm presence and it's clear she trusts him as a partner. I was also delighted with the pas de trois and pas de quartre - these dancers just put a smile on my face. Now that I've broken the ice, I'd definitely see this production again if only for the 4th act that shames the truncated ABT version.

58 minutes ago, yukionna4869 said:

I can't wait to read your review of Tiler's performance. 

Sorry for jumping in but could not resist when I saw Tiler being mentioned. I don't track

US companies and dancers, earlier this year wanted to refresh my memory of Carousel

as I wanted to see the staging in London and bought the PBS dvd of the semi-staged

performance they had telecast some years ago. They had the orchestra on stage and had

no room for the ensemble for the "Heaven's Ballet" sequence, so this incredible girl comes

out and I am captivated and mesmerised within 15 seconds ! Then her partner also comes

out .... also great and I reach for the dvd back cover :  it's Tiler Peck and Robert Fairchild !

Couple of months ago saw "American in Paris" headlined by Leanne Cope (RB) and Robert

Fairchild - my, would be unforgettable if it had been Tiler & Robert, but maybe too good to

be true.

A note to Peter Martins: Please, please schedule more SL--how about trading some performances of Midsummer Night's Dream, R&J or the new choreography evenings--this year just so those of us who missed the debut performances of Tiler Peck and Megan Fairchild as O/O can see them. You will not lose money at the box office! I was fortunate to see Sara Mearns on opening night but dearly would have loved to see Tiler and Megan. I know my wish won't be granted but I can hope, can't I? When you think of all the unsold seats for some of the less popular mixed bill evenings, surely you can rethink your planning.....

Edited by CTballetfan
Typo
26 minutes ago, CTballetfan said:

A note to Peter Martins: Please, please schedule more SL--how about trading some performances of Midsummer Night's Dream, R&J or the new choreography evenings--this year just so those of us who missed the debut performances of Tiler Peck and Megan Fairchild as O/O can see them. You will not lose money at the box office! I was fortunate to see Sara Mearns on opening night but dearly would have loved to see Tiler and Megan. I know my wish won't be granted but I can hope, can't I? When you think of all the unsold seats for some of the less popular mixed bill evenings, surely you can rethink your planning.....

I understand what you're saying.....but change performances that people (many of whom may be very much looking forward to those pieces, as much as others would like to see more SL) have already bought tickets to? Really? Business sense aside, that'd be kind of a nasty move.

Edited by nanushka

Casting changes are posted on the website for this week and next. Adrian Danchig-Waring appears to be out this week at least, and Harrison Ball, who was replaced as the Jester last week as announced from the stage, has been replaced for this week and next week as well. Also young corpsman Kennard Henson is replaced in tonight's premieres. 

I was there last night for Tiler and Chase's performance, second row center. It was an unbelievable experience to be there. I'm still trying to digest it. Not only was Tiler technically near perfect, but her characterization was near perfect as well. She told the story with her dancing and told it beautifully. She created two very distinct characters and was completely believable. More than just putting a "sad" expression on her face, it seemed that every molecule in her body expressed the character she was playing. Her extraordinary technique and musicality made this possible. It's hard for me to put into words. One could definitely feel that the whole theater was pulling for her, and mid-way through the performance I could tell that she could feel the audience's support and it seemed to free her dancing even more. Chase was an ardent partner and I felt his characterization was dramatic and heartfelt. The place went wild at the curtain calls and it seemed that no one wanted the evening to be over. It was really special to be there, a night to remember, for sure.

The New York Times article also has additional videos. I hope this review won't affect the 2nd performances of both Megan and Tiler. 

Edit: Also, I just saw pictures of the costumes for the new Justin Peck ballet. Odd-looking and seems like it would be distracting from the dancing. 

Edited by yukionna4869

Tiler was as superb as we have learned to expect from her. Utterly in control of her technique, showing every sign of rigorous preparation, and careful, loving attention to every tiny adornment and detail. The fouettés epitomize her accomplishment: doubles with a fierce increasing centrifugal force, then clean singles, all seamlessly timed to the music. So much better thought out than the typical mishmash of random singles doubles and triples with no rhyme or reason. 

I found Finlay a little bland and not much connection between him and Tiler. 

In the folk dances, new corpsman Alec Knight impressed in his debut in the Hungarian. Threw himself into the role with commitment, abandon, and joy. 

Oh, and Troy Schumacher as the Jester was replaced by Spartak Hoxha after intermission. Hope Troy's okay!

Edited by cobweb