This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2017 Fall Season

On 2017-06-26 at 9:14 AM, canbelto said:

Could this mean she gets a crack at O/O in the fall season? Fingers crossed.

Sadly I think she is rehearsing for Balanchine's one-act Swan Lake. The Saratoga week 1 casting shows that she is scheduled to perform this ballet July 6th and 8th : https://www.nycballet.com/NYCB/media/NYCBMediaLibrary/PDFs/Press/Casting/SPAC-Casting_July-5-8-2017.pdf.

It sure would be great to see her as Odette/Odile this fall as well.

22 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

Do you all think they will be adding more O/O and decrease the number of shows each does or eliminate other O/Os to make room for any new additions?

There is no way to know. I believe they are doing 13 Swan Lakes (please correct if I'm wrong). I figure Reichlin, Bouder, Mearns, Hyltin and now Fairchild. Adding another lead lady would be possible.

I think I've said this elsewhere, but I've been so impressed with Megan lately.  She is really performing -- not just executing the steps.  I'm happy her growth is paying off with new roles!  I'll try to finally see Swan Lake live this year -- I always seem to have the flu/there's a major storm/something else during City Ballet's Swan Lake run.

I hope there are lot of Odette/Odile debuts. I was a bit disappointed that last winter's Sleeping Beauty only had one Aurora debut. 

I'd like to see Ashley Laracey and Unity Phelan get a crack at the role. And after seeing Emily Kikta's Hippolyta, I'm curious to see her as Odile, but I haven't seen enough of her to see if she'd be a good Odette. 

Someone posted a few weeks ago that Tiler Peck was rehearsing SL under Ratmansky's coaching.   Perhaps she will also debut in SL. Fingers crossed.  Given that they are doing two consecutive weeks of SL, I guess they felt the need to train some new people in the lead roles.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Lauren Lovette also debut in the lead. 

Assuming Bouder is cast again this season in SL, I'm guessing that this may be her final run of the role.  She is the oldest of the O/O's performing the role at NYCB.

Catazarro missed his debut chance during the last run due to injury, so I'm sure he will be one of the new Siegfrieds. 

4 hours ago, abatt said:

Someone posted a few weeks ago that Tiler Peck was rehearsing SL under Ratmansky's coaching.  

Does anyone else find this puzzling? Yes, he's a great coach, he's worked extensively with NYCB, and I'm sure he's familiar with the various traditional SLs. But why not lean on a great ballerina, like Kopalkova or Jaffe or Makarova? Although I wish he were rehearsing her for his reconstruction, that seems unlikely.

Question Re: Fall Gala.  Has anyone ever attended the NYCB gala as a ticket holder, not attending the dinner/receptions?  Is it fun or do you feel oddly out of place?  Is it all the same if we just saw the program on a different evening later in the month? 

I have attending performance-only portion of several past galas, but not for the last three years. It's fun watching the attendees in their finery and can be exciting to see the premieres. Some of the new works created for the gala are slight (emphasis on designer-created costumes rather than substantive choreography) and are not repeated during the balance of the season. 

Thanks for info Peg.  My ballet-viewing friends and I all work in the fashion industry so I'm glad to know it will be a fun evening without shelling out for the gala experience (one day...).  I know after a few years audiences have become wary of the designer/choreographer collaborations but I think at least Monse/Lovette and Abloh/Reisen will be successful (and maybe Saunders/Schumacher depending on print scale).

Upthread people were voicing Swan Lake O/O preferences; does anyone have strong feelings in favor of either Reichlen or Hyltin? Given the attention Bouder/Mearns receive for this role I'm curious about the other Os. 

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 8:22 PM, FITTB85 said:

Upthread people were voicing Swan Lake O/O preferences; does anyone have strong feelings in favor of either Reichlen or Hyltin? Given the attention Bouder/Mearns receive for this role I'm curious about the other Os. 

I saw Reichlin/Jantzen do the Balanchine one act Swan last winter season and they brought me to tears. I don't know if I can bring myself to see the Martin's Swan. I suppose if I sat through the Bolshoi's I should give the Martin's a try. Thoughts?