This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT 2017 Tchaikovsky Spectacular

Oh no! Just checked casting for July 6 and see that Copeland has replaced Murphy in Nutcracker Pas with Whiteside. I was so looking forward to seeing Gillian in this. She is still scheduled to dance Tchaikovsky Pas July 5 and July 8. I wonder why she had to pull out on July 6. Copeland is my least favorite principal, especially when she has to carry a role. So disappointed, since this is the only  ABT performance I will see this spring. hopefully the casts of the other ballets will not change. I would like to see the up and coming soloists dance.

5 hours ago, CTballetfan said:

Oh no! Just checked casting for July 6 and see that Copeland has replaced Murphy in Nutcracker Pas with Whiteside. I was so looking forward to seeing Gillian in this. She is still scheduled to dance Tchaikovsky Pas July 5 and July 8. I wonder why she had to pull out on July 6. Copeland is my least favorite principal, especially when she has to carry a role. So disappointed, since this is the only  ABT performance I will see this spring. hopefully the casts of the other ballets will not change. I would like to see the up and coming soloists dance.

Boylston/Gorak still dancing Tchai pdd on July 8, as long-ago scheduled. CTballetfan, I think that you meant to type "July 7" for Murphy's Tchai pdd. 

Awwww...Abrera/Gomes no longer dancing the July 8 evening Souvenir. Casts for both the matinee & eve Souvenir will now be led by Teuscher/Hallberg.

5 hours ago, CTballetfan said:

Oh no! Just checked casting for July 6 and see that Copeland has replaced Murphy in Nutcracker Pas with Whiteside......hopefully the casts of the other ballets will not change. I would like to see the up and coming soloists dance.

You will get to see Shevchenko, Lane and Trenary dance in that program - very much "up and coming" soloists. Also, Scott.

On 6/24/2017 at 8:14 AM, nanushka said:

I suspect that Tim Scholl's Sleeping Beauty: A Legend in Progress might include at least some discussion of that, though I haven't had a chance to read it.

I have it...and it is very informative. One of the things I remember is reading about Diana Vishneva's discomfort with the recon, saying something along the lines of the production being like the Russian nouveaux riches: lots of bling bling with not enough supporting tradition. 

Just a heads up for all Part fans: the order of performance on July 8th Matinee(Part will be performing in it)has been updated and Mozartina will be performed last. I think Part might retire with this performance. 

Edited by alexL
1 hour ago, alexL said:

Just a heads up for all Part fans: the order of performance on July 8th Matinee(Part will be performing in it)has been updated and Mozartina will be performed the last. I think Part might retire with this performance. 

Wow. :( 

1 hour ago, alexL said:

Just a heads up for all Part fans: the order of performance on July 8th Matinee(Part will be performing in it)has been updated and Mozartina will be performed the last. I think Part might retire with this performance. 

I can't believe that would happen without an announcement and a big send off. 

11 minutes ago, LadyBubbles said:

Unless she's pulling a Michele Wiles. IIRC she didn't even tell her SL partner until right before bows.

Interesting point but I don't think Wiles had the fan base that Part has. Also Wiles was pretty young and moving on to other projects. I wouldn't assume Part isn't moving on to other projects but still, Part leaving would feel like more of a retirement from dance. I have never been the greatest Part fan, but I would feel terrible if it ended this way.

Well maybe she doesn't want a retirement gala if they're not parting (pun intended) on good terms. A few years ago I remember Paloma Herrera retired and it was a Wednesday matinee and it was obvious she wasn't really parting on good terms with Kevin McKenzie and actually turned away from him when Kevin came out with a bouquet. It was awkward. 

Boy, I guess all signs are pointing to retirement now. Seems like this must have been a recent decision or else they would have originally scheduled Mozartiana to be last in that program (even if she didn't want a prior announcement). I'm sorry I'll miss it. ?

Does anyone happen to know when was the last time ABT danced Mozartiana? I'm curious to go back and read past reviews on here, and if I could save the time it would take to sift through all those past years' topics, that'd be great. Much appreciated if anyone knows!

6 minutes ago, nanushka said:

Does anyone happen to know when was the last time ABT danced Mozartiana? I'm curious to go back and read past reviews on here, and if I could save the time it would take to sift through all those past years' topics, that'd be great. Much appreciated if anyone knows!

I'm pretty sure it was in the 2009 Met Season: http://www.abt.org/insideabt/news_display.asp?News_ID=265. Maybe it was also done in a fall season around that time, too.

16 hours ago, abatt said:

Mozartiana has never been a closing ballet.  The signs are pointing to retirement on July 8 for Part.

Wow. Feeling extra lucky that I'll be there. I was at the Mariinsky for her 1995/96 graduation performances...1996 class of Inna Zubkovskaya. This will be quite emotional.

4 minutes ago, ksk04 said:

This is so disappointing. One of the reasons I was so excited ABT was touring La Bayadere next year was I was certain Veronika would be cast. She is such a beautiful dancer.

ABT too? I know about the Mariinsky tours to London in August (Bayadere and other ballets) & DC in October (only Baya). Regardless, sad about Veronika scaling back or leaving ABT.