This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Robert Fairchild and Tiler Peck...........

I'd hoped to point to two things:

1) There are a lot of openly gay actors, enough for me to say that there are, indeed, a host of them. 

2) Women find them sexually attractive. One might suspect that the only bar to gay actors portraying male romantic leads is a certain squeamishness on the part of (hmmm ... male?) producers. It's called acting for a reason.

I think Nanushka is right: in the very near future, if not now, tying oneself in knots in an effort to remain closeted will be the scandal. 

1 hour ago, Kathleen O'Connell said:

I'd hoped to point to two things:

1) There are a lot of openly gay actors, enough for me to say that there are, indeed, a host of them. 

2) Women find them sexually attractive. One might suspect that the only bar to gay actors portraying male romantic leads is a certain squeamishness on the part of (hmmm ... male?) producers. It's called acting for a reason.

I think Nanushka is right: in the very near future, if not now, tying oneself in knots in an effort to remain closeted will be the scandal. 

And I hope in the very near future, if not now, the actor/dancer/singer's sexuality will be a non issue completely and the focus will be on the quality of the work alone. 

23 hours ago, Kathleen O'Connell said:

I wish I could claim some sort of ninja level google-fu, but these were literally in the top five or so links that popped up when I searched "gay movie stars." 

It really is a new world.

It's a new world, but it's getting here in chunks, depending on where you live and what you do.  I'm thrilled when people are publically out, but I can certainly understand when they'd rather be low-key.

20 hours ago, Quiggin said:

I can understand that being the case. I remember when a friend bought the same special perfume in Paris for his new partner that he used to buy for his ex-wife (with whom he was still friends) It was a bit of a shock to all of us, seemed somehow an act of disloyalty. Or like an incident from a Hitchcock film.

Or a really clueless guy, who had no idea how to choose a new "special gift."

5 hours ago, Kathleen O'Connell said:

It's called acting for a reason.

Yup!

3 hours ago, rkoretzky said:

And I hope in the very near future, if not now, the actor/dancer/singer's sexuality will be a non issue completely and the focus will be on the quality of the work alone.

Your lips to the gods' ears.

Part of what I don't get is, unless you're Diana Spencer or Katie Holmes, and when you're 16 you tell your friends you're going to marry Prince Charles or Tom Cruise -- and, beloved children aside, look at how well that worked out for them -- it's all a fantasy anyway -- dancers, actors, opera singers, athletes -- for 99% of the human population, so if you're not the gender one of them prefers, that makes about .00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% of a difference to your real life, so why let it interfere with a good fantasy (or two or three)?

While I don't think anyone should be outed unless they are working against other people's rights, this is much ado about someone who outed himself, repeatedly and publicly.

31 minutes ago, sandik said:

I'm thrilled when people are publically out, but I can certainly understand when they'd rather be low-key.

I think it would be a fine thing if people could be low-key about any aspect of their personal lives if they'd rather. The perceived need to have a robust social media presence makes it difficult, although some public figures manage to thread that particular needle quite nicely.

2 hours ago, Helene said:

.....this is much ado about someone who outed himself, repeatedly and publicly.

This! 

And, as others have already said, both of these guys have only themselves to blame if they were put off by canbelto's re-posting of their public feeds.

Edited by ABT Fan

What? This is a shock. I follow Fairchild on Instagram but I didn't catch any of this. Admittedly, I wasn't very active on that app for much of last winter. None of the people I know who are NYCB devotees has alluded to any knowledge of this either. 

Fairchild and Peck have "curated" such a romantic image and narrative for their relationship in the public eye that I can't wrap my head around the fact that one of them left the other for someone of the same sex. I see that people here have known similar instances in their social circles, but for me it almost sounds like one of those unrealistic story lines in movies.

Edited by bcash
10 minutes ago, bcash said:

What? This is a shock. I follow Fairchild on Instagram but I didn't catch any of this. Admittedly, I wasn't very active on that app for much of last winter. None of the people I know who are NYCB devotees has alluded to any knowledge of this either. 

Fairchild and Peck have "curated" such a romantic image and narrative for their relationship in the public eye that I can't wrap my head around the fact that one of them left the other for someone of the same sex. I see that people here have known similar instances in their social circles, but for me it almost sounds like one of those unrealistic story lines in movies.

As a long time ballet person (former dancer, teacher, now avid fan). I think this happened a lot more in the past when men tried to become "traditional family men" because they thought they should, or as covers or for a lot of complicated reasons. I think it is much more unusual now that homosexuality is more accepted and gay marriage is possible.

4 hours ago, vipa said:

As a long time ballet person (former dancer, teacher, now avid fan). I think this happened a lot more in the past when men tried to become "traditional family men" because they thought they should, or as covers or for a lot of complicated reasons. I think it is much more unusual now that homosexuality is more accepted and gay marriage is possible.

Maybe he is bi or hetroflexible and was open about his preferences and married her because he loved her.

6 hours ago, meliodori said:

Maybe he is bi or hetroflexible and was open about his preferences and married her because he loved her.

Tiler Peck was the only female principal dancer who did not appear at R. Fairchild's farewell in October.  Draw your own conclusions as to whether R. Fairchild was "open abut his preferences" with her.

52 minutes ago, abatt said:

Tiler Peck was the only female principal dancer who did not appear at R. Fairchild's farewell in October.  Draw your own conclusions as to whether R. Fairchild was "open abut his preferences" with her.

Individual conclusions can certainly be drawn, but even couples who are completely open with one another about their sexualities (straight, gay, bi or otherwise) have been known at times to have acrimonious breakups for a whole variety of reasons.

The fact of the matter is we have no way of knowing at this point what happened between them (as is pretty much true of all intimate relationships involving other people). Until such a time when one of them speaks openly and candidly about their relationship — and perhaps even then, unless the other also speaks out in complete agreement — it will remain a mystery.

Edited by nanushka
11 minutes ago, Fleurfairy said:

...Robbi doesn't come out looking very well here....

In what way does Robbie not come out looking very well here, given what we actually know? Was he supposed to remain celibate following the breakup of their marriage?

Sure, based on the publicly known facts, there are narratives one could write that would make Robbie look bad. There are also narratives one could write, based on those very same facts, that would make Tiler look bad. And others one could write that would make both or neither look bad.

In my opinion, we simply don't know enough to begin to judge the people who were involved in what was essentially (Martha Stewart Weddings aside — a wedding is not a marriage, after all) a private relationship.

Edited by nanushka

We know from official news that their courtship was very public, that they split, that she didn't dance at his retirement, and that he is in another relationship.  Unless they reveal chronology publicly, the only chronology we have is when they released these snapshots of information. If either or both of them write their memoirs or post to public-facing social media about anything else, you are welcome to post about it.

Everyone is welcome to draw their own conclusions, but we're not the lobby.  Keep those discussions to PM (if you have access) among willing parties.