This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT 2017 Swan Lake

20 minutes ago, fondoffouettes said:

I don't think this is necessarily a fair assessment. The reactions last night were pretty much in accordance with what happened onstage. The biggest applause, I believe, came after the adagio of the Act II pdd and Simkin's varation in the Act III pdd. Lane didn't garner an outsized reaction to either of her variations, nor for the fouettes that ended unfortunately. The evening didn't have the feeling of a love-fest, though certainly anticipation was high among people who have followed Lane's career. 

Since this was originally to have been Kochetkova & Simkin, I suspect that the "Brighton Beach Brigade" was there en masse, especially vocal for Russian dancers. Lane had to win them over. They already know & love Simkin.

Just now, Natalia said:

Since this was originally to have been Kochetkova & Simkin, I suspect that the "Brighton Beach Brigade" was there en masse, especially vocal for Russian dancers. Lane had to win them over. They already know & love Simkin.

Yes, and though remaining tickets went fast after Lane was announced, the house was already quite well sold (in keeping with what you'd expect for a Thursday night SL) when that happened.

1 hour ago, cubanmiamiboy said:

I am glad I wasn't there for last night's performance. I don't know too much Lane to the point of cheering her just for being her. For me it would had represented yet another low point in this season's disastrous line up of Odiles. 

I really miss an exciting/capable Odile in her pas. Singles are beautiful...they always were...

Cubanmiamiboy, you were at Monday's dress rehearsal. Did Lane try & do the fouettés there? You mentioned earlier that Lane was one of two O/O's present (with Teuscher). This was a public event for ABT donors/fans...so not a secret

32 minutes ago, Natalia said:

Cubanmiamiboy, you were at Monday's dress rehearsal. Did Lane try & do the fouettés there? You mentioned earlier that Lane was one of two O/O's present (with Teuscher). This was a public event for ABT donors/fans...so not a secret

Lane only rehearsed the White act. Teuscher had Odile.

3 hours ago, Natalia said:

Having absorbed the reports of Sarah's O/O, as well as having recently witnessed her Giselle & Princess Praline, I still hold hope that she will be promoted at the end of the Met season. Do others feel like me...or will ABT use the excuse of last night's tech glitches - esp. the fouettés - to hold her back? Hope not.

PROMOTE SARAH LANE!!!

A clarification:

For blogs by ballet professionals, we allow them to be discussed in "Writings on Ballet."

For fan blogs with serious writings on ballet, while we allow members to post links to their own ballet-related blog posts on Ballet Alert!, but we don't allow discussion of them, just like we don't allow discussion of what's written on other discussion boards.

If there is a way to respond to the posts on the blogs themselves, we encourage you to engage there. 

Out of curiosity. Do any of you remembers a situation like this of having so many ballerinas failed to perform fouettes in a single season, as this one, with four in a row...?

Is there a precedent to this that you remember having happened at the MET ..? (or anyone else...for others than NY'rs..)

No but I do remember a year (with the old Kirkland production of Sleeping Beauty) where several principal ballerinas struggled visibly with the Rose Adagio ... Some fell off pointe, some shook like earthquakes ... It wasn't pretty.

Edited by canbelto
2 hours ago, Helene said:

For fan blogs with serious writings on ballet, while we allow members to post links to the ballet-related blog posts on Ballet Alert!, but we don't allow discussion of them, just like we don't allow discussion of what's written on other discussion boards.

Thanks for the clarification, Helene. In that case, there's a very positive review of Devon Teuscher's O/O here:

http://haglundsheel.typepad.com/*******/2017/06/abt-swan-lake-6-14-.html

I suspect a review of Sarah Lane's performance will follow shortly.

Edited by nanushka
Not sure what's happening with the web address there, but I imagine it's easy to find on the general site. Sorry!
23 minutes ago, canbelto said:

No but I do remember a year (with the old Kirkland production of Sleeping Beauty) where several principal ballerinas struggled visibly with the Rose Adagio ... Some fell off pointe, some shook like earthquakes ... It wasn't pretty.

Yes, I remember that too. This is going to send me back into the archives to recall the details.

31 minutes ago, cubanmiamiboy said:

Out of curiosity. Do any of you remembers a situation like this of having so many ballerinas failed to perform fouettes in a single season, as this one, with four in a row...?

Is there a precedent to this that you remember having happened at the MET ..? (or anyone else...for others than NY'rs..)

That also didn't happen.

since Devon who was wednesday matinee, did the fouettees.

34 minutes ago, aurora said:

That also didn't happen.

Correct. Four out of five, not five four in a row.

I'll be curious to hear if Hee Seo has a better time with them tonight, and how Cory Stearns does as a partner. From what I saw in Corsaire last week, he still hasn't made much improvement in terms of the projection of character.

Edited by nanushka
19 minutes ago, nanushka said:

Thanks for the clarification, Helene.

Sorry, @nanushka, I was typing too fast at work, and in the middle of editing, mashed up my post, which I've re-edited above.

We allow members to post links to their own ballet-related blog posts on Ballet Alert!.  For example, canbelto can link to canbelto's blog; no one else can or to any non-member fan blogs.

Just now, Helene said:

Sorry, @nanushka, I was typing too fast at work, and in the middle of editing, mashed up my post, which I've edited above.

We allow members to post links to their own ballet-related blog posts on Ballet Alert!.  For example, canbelto can link to canbelto's blog; no one else can. 

Got it. Sorry!

15 minutes ago, nanushka said:

Correct. Four out of five, not five in a row.

I'll be curious to hear if Hee Seo has a better time with them tonight, and how Cory Stearns does as a partner. From what I saw in Corsaire last week, he still hasn't made much improvement in terms of the projection of character.

Nanushka...I never said five in a row. In my original post I stated "four in a row". Don't know where the idea of 5 came from...?

32 minutes ago, aurora said:

That also didn't happen.

So let's be even more detailed. "Four Principal ballerinas failing to do fouettes in four consecutive days". (Notice I don't say "four consecutive peeformances") Better....?

Edited by cubanmiamiboy
3 minutes ago, cubanmiamiboy said:

Nanushka...I never said five in a row. In my original post I stated "four in a row". Don't know where the idea of 5 came from...?

So sorry, I just mistyped! I meant to write "Four out of five, not four in a row."

45 minutes ago, cubanmiamiboy said:

Well...certainly not "four performances in a row", although indeed "four days in a row".?

When you say 4 in a row it implies performances, as you said ballerinas in a row.

I think I already basically illustrated why this is completely abnormal in my earlier post.

Just now, aurora said:

When you say 4 in a row it implies performances, as you said ballerinas in a row.

Well, no. I said it because I suddenly realized that I had gone three nights in a row to the MET and no fouettes were produced.  And then there was Lane on the fourth. So I was thinking more of four consecutive evenings.

Last thought about Sarah Lane now that I've read other comments and had a day to think about the performance. For all the ups and downs, all the elements are there, and this season she has proven herself IMO to be a real artist. I sincerely hope that last night will not be her last SL with ABT. I would love to see her again when she's had some real preparation and rehearsal time. I hope Kevin McKenzie sees it that way too - promotes her and gives her Swan Lake opportunities before next year's Met season.

I also wonder what will happen with Kochetkova and ABT now that she's missed the entire Met season.