This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Roster in Review - 2017

This is pretty extraordinary:

Brandt has posted some additional, very impressive footage of her practicing Kitri's variations (with awesome Plisetskaya leaps), but unfortunately they were Instagram stories that cannot be reposted. Would love, love, love to see her and Cornejo in this. They were fantastic together in Corsaire last season. Why the company continues to engage Kotchetkova is beyond me...

Of course this is only a practice video.  However, you can see that she is traveling to her right a great deal.  Better to do neat singles or doubles that are under control than to travel into the wings during an on stage performance. She's young, so she will probably be able to improve with practice and coaching.

36 minutes ago, abatt said:

Of course this is only a practice video.  However, you can see that she is traveling to her right a great deal.  Better to do neat singles or doubles that are under control than to travel into the wings during an on stage performance. She's young, so she will probably be able to improve with practice and coaching.

Agree abatt. It is practice. She sure has the makings of something spectacular. I'd like to see a better look to the arms in particular. Beautiful turns are important

1 hour ago, abatt said:

And you put your finger on it -- this is practice.  She's working on a skill, rather than locking in a performance.  In the old days before the internet, most of us would not get the chance to "eavesdrop" on something like this, but here we are, almost flies on the wall.  We all complain about various aspects of this technology, but what opportunities it offers us!

16 hours ago, sandik said:

Such a challenge, but she's almost there!

2 hours ago, abatt said:

1 hour ago, vipa said:

Agree abatt. It is practice. She sure has the makings of something spectacular. I'd like to see a better look to the arms in particular. Beautiful turns are important

Agree, agree, agree ... plus, I'd rather see musical singles than doubles and triples that have no relationship to the music. A single perfectly timed with a cymbal crash has much more éclat than a random double or single. The composer put all those flourishes in the music for a reason - make them count!

But yup, it's a practice video and Brandt is a serious artist - I think we can count on her to give it her all.

Edited by Kathleen O'Connell
On 8/4/2017 at 10:57 AM, abatt said:

Also, it appears that Craig Salstein's photo is removed from the website.  I guess he retired?

According to a story on BroadwayWorld.com (https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Breaking-News-Betsy-Wolfe-Alexander-Gemignani-and-Margaret-Colin-Join-CAROUSEL-on-Broadway-Full-Cast-Theatre-Announced-20170904) there is a Craig Salstein in the corps of the company.  "The ensemble of Carousel features Colin AndersonYesenia AyalaNicholas BeltonColin Bradbury, Andrei Chagas, Leigh-Ann EstyLaura FeigDavid Michael Garry, Garett HaweRosena M. Hill JacksonAmy JustmanJess LeProttoSkye Mattox, Adriana Pierce, David ProttasCraig SalsteinAhmad SimmonsAntoine L. SmithCorey John SnideErica SpyresRyan SteeleSam StrasfeldRicky UbedaScarlett WalkerJacob Keith Watson, and William Youmans."  

Note that there are quite a few of these with ballet credentials in that list: Leigh-Ann Esty, Adriana Pierce, and David Prottas, as well as two major SYTYCD alums.

Edited by harpergroup
Typo
On 9/8/2017 at 11:38 AM, harpergroup said:

According to a story on BroadwayWorld.com (https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Breaking-News-Betsy-Wolfe-Alexander-Gemignani-and-Margaret-Colin-Join-CAROUSEL-on-Broadway-Full-Cast-Theatre-Announced-20170904) there is a Craig Salstein in the corps of the company.  "The ensemble of Carousel features Colin AndersonYesenia AyalaNicholas BeltonColin Bradbury, Andrei Chagas, Leigh-Ann EstyLaura FeigDavid Michael Garry, Garett HaweRosena M. Hill JacksonAmy JustmanJess LeProttoSkye Mattox, Adriana Pierce, David ProttasCraig SalsteinAhmad SimmonsAntoine L. SmithCorey John SnideErica SpyresRyan SteeleSam StrasfeldRicky UbedaScarlett WalkerJacob Keith Watson, and William Youmans."  

Note that there are quite a few of these with ballet credentials in that list: Leigh-Ann Esty, Adriana Pierce, and David Prottas, as well as two major SYTYCD alums.

Which explains the cartwheels and the music in the last class Craig Salstein taught at ABT (see Instagram video posted in this thread on Aug. 5) ;)

I think it makes a lot of sense that Kochetkova's photo was removed now.  They are presently in the midst of finalizing plans and casts for the Met season.   If she decided not to sign on for the 2018 Met  season, the deadline for that decision was probably during  September.   

26 minutes ago, abatt said:

I think it makes a lot of sense that Kochetkova's photo was removed now.  They are presently in the midst of finalizing plans and casts for the Met season.   If she decided not to sign on for the 2018 Met  season, the deadline for that decision was probably during  September.   

A wise decision. Wishing her all the best back in San Francisco.

2 hours ago, lacdescygnes said:

I never cared much for Kochetkova, but she can at least execute the steps... I hope this does not mean that Cornejo will be saddled with Copeland for the Met season - that would be a waste of his great talent! He and Brandt were great in Le Corsaire - hopefully that's the pairing they are working on.

I'm thinking he will be with Sarah Lane most often, since Simkin is leaving. They are cast together for The Nutcracker run. 

5 hours ago, its the mom said:

I am just hoping that it doesn't go to some guest artist!

I don't think you have to worry. The company rarely has guest artists in the fall and none have been announced. I'm hoping it'll be a debut cast instead of going to one of the two scheduled casts (nothing against them, I just want to see another couple get the chance, preferably two up-and-comers).

1 hour ago, ABT Fan said:

I don't think you have to worry. The company rarely has guest artists in the fall and none have been announced. I'm hoping it'll be a debut cast instead of going to one of the two scheduled casts (nothing against them, I just want to see another couple get the chance, preferably two up-and-comers).

Agreed, ABT Fan.

With the promotion of Sarah Lane, the stardom of Misty Copeland and the continued development of soloist Skylar Brandt, I guess Kochetkova was considered superfluous.  I have liked Kochetkova in some contemporary pieces and also a few classical ballets - other things like Ashton's "Monotones" I hated her in.  What I find odd is the almost unanimous turn against her on the ABT board.  Kochetkova has been ADORED for years on the San Francisco Ballet and "Dancers" discussion boards - all sorts of lovely pictures with admiring captions and comments appended.  For a long time it was like she could do no wrong.  Not saying that either group is wrong, but it is odd how the same dancer can be adored among one set of dance aficionados and dismissed by another.  Anyway, her departure from ABT will open up opportunities for recently promoted principals and soloists.

Edited by FauxPas