This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

James Whiteside Interviews Cory Stearns

On 6/1/2017 at 0:35 AM, Helene said:

James Whiteside interviewed his dressing room mate Cory Stearns for his podcast, "The Stage Rightside with James Whiteside."  Isabella Boylston makes a guest appearance towards the end:

http://www.premierdancenetwork.com/the-cocomotion/

I tried to connect to the above link but when I clicked on the "Play" icon, nothing happened. Is it too late to access this interview? I've been out of town for awhile.

That's interesting, because the links to his other podcasts from the Balancing Pointe website seem to be working fine.

I usually listen through my iTunes subscription.  If you have iTunes, click the "View in iTunes" link for #7 The CocoMotion.

It's supposed to be available from Stitcher.com, too, but I did a search (not signed in), and there was no match on James Whiteside or The Stage Rightside.

1 hour ago, Helene said:

That's interesting, because the links to his other podcasts from the Balancing Pointe website seem to be working fine.

I usually listen through my iTunes subscription.  If you have iTunes, click the "View in iTunes" link for #7 The CocoMotion.

It's supposed to be available from Stitcher.com, too, but I did a search (not signed in), and there was no match on James Whiteside or The Stage Rightside.

Will try this tomorrow. Thanks, Helene!

12 hours ago, angelica said:

Will try this tomorrow. Thanks, Helene!

Hi Helene,

I went to iTunes, but #7 gave me the David Hallberg interview. I couldn't see anything about Cory Stearns on the listing. I think I will simply give up for now, unless you can get it and send me a new link.

Thanks, Angelica

17 hours ago, angelica said:

[Re: Cory Stearns interview...]

I tried to connect to the above link but when I clicked on the "Play" icon, nothing happened. Is it too late to access this interview? I've been out of town for awhile.

I had the same problem a few weeks ago and couldn't listen to it either. I haven't tried again since but it sounds like the issue is still there.

5 hours ago, ABT Fan said:

I had the same problem a few weeks ago and couldn't listen to it either. I haven't tried again since but it sounds like the issue is still there.

Okay, one last try to BA members: If anyone was able to listen to James Whiteside's interview with Cory Stearns, please could you post the link that worked for you?

The reason I'm eager to hear this interview is that somewhere I read that one of the subjects addressed was the experience of dancing before an audience of some 3000 people. When I saw Stearns in the studio rehearsal of La Fille Mal Gardee, he was so extraordinary, in his expression, the height of his leaps, and the number and speed of his turns. I thereupon bought a ticket to see him in performance. And once again, in performance, he wasn't extraordinary at all--competent, yes, but the performance had nothing of the élan of the studio rehearsal. So I'm hoping for a window into what is causing that disconnect. Does he get stage fright, for example? Or does he take risks in the studio that he dare not take on stage? 

angelica: I have a feeling that either Cory's podcast was taken down (but you can still see the entry) or that it became corrupted in some way that it cannot be played. I just tried all of Whiteside's other podcasts and they all work except Cory's, so it isn't a problem with the link: http://www.premierdancenetwork.com/stage-rightside/

I sent a note to the network and I'll let you know if they respond.

17 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

angelica: I have a feeling that either Cory's podcast was taken down (but you can still see the entry) or that it became corrupted in some way that it cannot be played. I just tried all of Whiteside's other podcasts and they all work except Cory's, so it isn't a problem with the link: http://www.premierdancenetwork.com/stage-rightside/

I sent a note to the network and I'll let you know if they respond.

Thanks so much, ABT Fan. You are true to your name! Strangely, I didn't even see the title of the podcast with Cory. Helene said it was #7, but #7 was an interview with David Hallberg. And Cory was not mentioned in any of the other titles. But I do appreciate your taking initiative on this!

3 minutes ago, angelica said:

Thanks so much, ABT Fan. You are true to your name! Strangely, I didn't even see the title of the podcast with Cory. Helene said it was #7, but #7 was an interview with David Hallberg. And Cory was not mentioned in any of the other titles. But I do appreciate your taking initiative on this!

The title is "The CocoMotion" dated May 19, 2017, on the second page of his podcasts here (2nd podcast from the top): http://www.premierdancenetwork.com/stage-rightside/page/2/

When the link initially didn't work for me, I wasn't motivated then to investigate but you reminded me that I wanted to hear it as you do. Let's see if they respond to me! 

12 minutes ago, ABT Fan said:

The title is "The CocoMotion" dated May 19, 2017, on the second page of his podcasts here (2nd podcast from the top): http://www.premierdancenetwork.com/stage-rightside/page/2/

When the link initially didn't work for me, I wasn't motivated then to investigate but you reminded me that I wanted to hear it as you do. Let's see if they respond to me! 

OMG, I'm playing it on iTunes and it's working!!! Hope it's working for you too, now.

Very interesting interview. Indeed, towards the beginning, Cory said that one of his goals on stage was "not being cautious," to be "more free, not so contained." And, at the end, he spoke of the responsibility he feels as a principal dancer, when the audience of 3000+ has high expectations of you, as do your fellow dancers, and you yourself as well. So that does explain a great deal about the disconnect between Cory's heart-stopping performance in the studio and his more cautious (his word) performance on stage.

Thanks, Helene and ABT Fan for making it possible to hear this.

As for James Whiteside, well, that's a whole other story and not for today.