This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Dress Rehearsal Tickets

Hi ABT Folks,

We got a query today,

How does one secure ABT dress rehearsal tkts?  I've never done it before.

I'm sure at least some of you know, and I'd appreciate it if you would post the way(s) here.

Yes, ABT Fan's answer is the only way I know.  California taught me about this benefit a few years ago and I really enjoyed it.

Unfortunately you don't have your dates way in advance, like at PNB, so if you have to make airfare and hotel arrangements, it's a bit tricky.

A surprising benefit is that you may see multiple casts of principal pairs rehearse at the same rehearsal.  Once I saw three couples run the Don Q wedding pas de deux.  It introduced me to some new dancers, and also on a trip I don't usually have time to catch three Don Qs and see multiple casts.

The seats were in the rear of the orchestra, so short people like me could see fine, might just need opera glasses or binocs to see the finer details.

One year I also saw the company class onstage.  I loved that benefit.  We sat in the front of the orchestra, and you get a chance to see pretty much all the dancers.

1 hour ago, seattle_dancer said:

One year I also saw the company class onstage.  I loved that benefit.  We sat in the front of the orchestra, and you get a chance to see pretty much all the dancers.

I went twice to the company class onstage. Each time they made us leave just when they were getting to my favorite part of the class, the petit allegro and grand allegro. The barre was all very nice, as was the adagio, but we never got to see the dancers sail through the air. If they would let us stay for the entire class, I would go again.

I haven't used any ABT benefits since the 2015 season, so my experience is a little dated.  At the company class I attended, we saw the whole class through grand allegro, but sounds like things have changed since then.

nana, I would contact the Membership office and see what the remaining dates are for this for this season.  There are some events in the fall also, but that might depend on your donation level.

Two words of caution - the first time I donated it was with my subscription and somehow that didn't count for the dress rehearsal benefits directly.  I contacted the Membership office and they did graciously fix everything.

Also, the development folks are very aggressive on the phone.  So if you donate one year, and not the next, they will follow up with you, even at these lower levels.

Thanks, seattle_dancer and kfw. I just asked them and the only open dress rehearsal left this season is Golden Cockerel this Thursday (for others, there are wait-lists). I don't know if it helps, but they said that the registration on rehearsal for Met season usually opens in February.  

24 minutes ago, nana said:

. . . they said that the registration on rehearsal for Met season usually opens in February.  

I got an e-mail for the spring season events on January 27. The frustration for out-of-towners is that few seem to coincide with programs I want to see. Do respond quickly when you get one of those, as they usually run out of space. One big advantage at NYCB for friends: they do friends rehearsals four afternoons a week when they are in residence (Tuesday-Friday); depending on your level of Friend, you get different numbers of rehearsal passes. 

ABT does other things for friends: studio rehearsals, donor dance classes taught by a company member, seminars, etc. But unless you're in town for a non-dance reason, those don't work for out-of-towners. I suppose they schedule like that to maintain interest from their NYC audience. 

Those Kennedy Center rehearsals for $15 also sell out quickly.