This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

NYCB @ KenCen DC, June 6-11, 2017

Program A Sun-  Appreciated Square Dance, Tarantella, Odessa. Rodeo was, as I expected, athletic teams.  Costume budget?   The lyrical section needed women [lines extended on point] combined with men.  The music carried the work.

Program B-Sat. Times Are Racing -The KC had nothing on the website about earplugs and they should have been passed out on entry for free.   Surreal that this was NYCB .

Edited by maps

If I went to a ballet with loud music as described, I would end up in the doctor's office the next day because the noise would still be reverberating in one of my ears. And I'm not that old! So I'm glad to know about this ballet; I can avoid it in the future. 

Like many others my age (early 60's) who went to lots of rock concerts while young, my hearing is impaired. I don't expect to have to deal with that level of sound at the ballet. If that's where we're heading, I and lots of other older people will end up staying home. I don't find that earplugs work well enough. Have to protect what's left. 

15 hours ago, maps said:

Program A Sun-  Rodeo was, as I expected, athletic teams.  Costume budget?   The lyrical section needed women [lines extended on point] combined with men.  The music carried the work.

Interesting. I found Peck's exquisitely tender "Corral Nocture" quintet for five men powerful precisely because there were no women. For me it re-affirmed the beauty of ballet's essential line without the distortion of extreme extensions, wham-pow effects, and yes, pointe work.

For those who haven't seen Peck's Rodeo, rehearsal and performance clips from the "Corral Nocturne" section start at about the 33 second mark of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNSXD8nKlqg

1 hour ago, YouOverThere said:

The National Symphony's rendition of Beethoven's 9th was louder than any music played during any of the NYCB performances.

But so much more pleasant...NORMAL music with hummable tunes. Not a cacophony of noise

On 6/12/2017 at 7:41 AM, Kathleen O'Connell said:

Interesting. I found Peck's exquisitely tender "Corral Nocture" quintet for five men powerful precisely because there were no women. For me it re-affirmed the beauty of ballet's essential line without the distortion of extreme extensions, wham-pow effects, and yes, pointe work.

For those who haven't seen Peck's Rodeo, rehearsal and performance clips from the "Corral Nocturne" section start at about the 33 second mark of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNSXD8nKlqg

Thanks so much for this link -- I hadn't seen this little clip yet.  It looks like Peck has really made something significant for a group of men -- I'm looking forward to seeing the entire ballet sometime.