This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Marta Becket (1924-2017)

We all seem to have missed this one, three months ago. RIP Marta Becket, a unique ballerina, performance artist, and muralist who took ballet to Death Valley, CA, performing classical ballet miniatures every night for almost 50 years, at her Amargosa Opera House:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/marta-becket-dancer-in-the-desert-dies-at-92/2017/02/02/f5570944-e96b-11e6-bf6f-301b6b443624_story.html?utm_term=.50e6c8c45491

During our 1999 two-month driving adventure throughout California, my late first husband & I made a point of visiting Death Valley Junction just to see this amazing lady in performance...still on pointe well into her 70s, swishing her gorgeous tulle tutus. It may have been one of the simplest ballet performances, yet one of the most radiantly emotional ones I've witnessed.

RIP, Marta Becket. She took ballet to the Mojave Desert, spreading the joy of the Art of Ballet in the most unlikely locale.

One of her best-known solos, performed by a friend and follower:

Trailer for the Emmy award-winning  & Oscar-nominated docum on Ms Becket (AMARGOSA -2000):

Finally, a very nice tribute, filmed just one year before her passing:

Edited by Natalia
Adding tribute links