This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2017-18 Season

55 minutes ago, sandik said:

It's a very English choice -- like many European companies, they've never thought that December was exclusively Nutcracker territory.  But I seem to recall them doing a Ringling Brothers influenced Nut, which would be a very charming nod to another local institution.

Russia plays Nutcracker even in summer sometimes, because they play it all year round, but in America it has become a Christmas ballet and a big way to make a lot of money with lots of special celebrations (before and after events).....so it is a cash cow that the other ballets are not (in the U.S. at least).

Yes, their Nutcracker is a Ringling Brothers Circus version to fit into the community made specifically for Sarasota. I think they almost always do that except for the one year they did La Fille. IThey did La Fille again, but at a non-December time, if I remember correctly.

On May 5, 2017 at 9:38 AM, Natalia said:

Scheduling or perhaps Budgeting problems, Birdsall? Or policy/change of focus? Not so much "All Ashton Rarities, All the Time" as in years past. Maybe it's cheaper to stage well-know Ashtons, like THE DREAM, which can be rented more economically from other US companies that already have it in their rep?

yet...

I just realized that only two ballets in the final triple bill for next season (April 2018) were announced. So there's a tiny glimmer of hope that they're leaving the spot open for a possible reinstatement of APPARITIONS, if budget or other conditions allow?

Now confirmed: No recon of Ashton's APPARITIONS at Sarasota Ballet.

Balanchine's BUGAKU will fill the "tbd" slot in the April 2018 triple bill. Boo!

http://www.heraldtribune.com/news/20170613/sarasota-ballet-adds-balanchines-bugaku-to-upcoming-season

REQUEST FOR TRAVEL ADVICE: As a non-driving New Yorker, I'm wondering about travel to Sarasota from the Tampa airport. It seems that one has to take a taxi to the Greyhound Station, then a one-and-a-half-hour bus ride to downtown Sarasota. Is anyone familiar with Sarasota able to make recommendations? Many thanks in advance. 

3 hours ago, Golden Idol said:

REQUEST FOR TRAVEL ADVICE: As a non-driving New Yorker, I'm wondering about travel to Sarasota from the Tampa airport. It seems that one has to take a taxi to the Greyhound Station, then a one-and-a-half-hour bus ride to downtown Sarasota. Is anyone familiar with Sarasota able to make recommendations? Many thanks in advance. 

I have some travel tips for ballet lovers going to Sarasota here: http://toursenlair.blogspot.ca/2014/05/travel-tips-for-ballet-lovers-sarasota.html

4 hours ago, Golden Idol said:

I used to live in Tampa, and it only took 1 hour to drive to Sarasota. However, in recent years it seems to take closer to 2 hours to go from Tampa to Sarasota. Traffic on the west coast of Florida is horrendous during the season nowadays.

I personally would not take a Greyhound bus anywhere in Florida. I hope I am wrong about this, and I very well could be wrong about this (maybe just based on my life), but Greyhound terminals are usually in the worst part of town here. Florida is a very car-centric state with very terrible public transportation, and it is not normal to take the Greyhound bus here for any reason. I don't know anyone who has ever taken the Greyhound in Florida. It may be normal to take it in other states, but I don't think anyone takes it in Florida unless he or she is in dire straits. I would rent a car if I were you.

Thanks to maps, birdsall and kbarber for your advice. As I said, I don't drive, and I'm a New Yorker, so busses don't frighten me a bit. I walk everywhere, keep my wits about me, and if you mess with me: Pow! Right in the kisser! Now, whether I do come down to Sarasota this season is up in the air, but I suspect I'll get there eventually.

Birdsall, you're right on the money. I've lived in NYC for 30 years now and have taken public transit everyday. Thought nothing could compare with that (in the 80's the subway wasn't safe like it is now). Then I took a Greyhound to FL one year (what was I thinking?) and have taken other buses around the Tampa/St Petersburg area. Not unless I'm in dire straits, as you say, will I ever do that again. Very scary. Golden Idol, if you choose to go that route, be safe!

Yes, I am not afraid of taking public transportation in NY or Chicago or Atlanta or anywhere that has good transportation for that matter. But I will not take it in Florida. A city bus from Point A to Point B is okay depending on the starting point and the destination. I have used city buses in Florida, and even those are not used by the average Floridian but those are okay. I feel safe walking around most areas of Florida especially Sarasota, but I don't know. I would not take the Greyhound bus. There might be alternatives like slightly more expensive buses for tourists. I think I would use Uber or Lyft if I did not drive. Here in Gainesville (University of Florida is here) there are special buses for students to travel down to their parents in South Florida, and they are special rates due to the demand. So I suspect there must be something like that for tourists also. You might want to google and research it. Maybe there is a Greyhound bus website that also gives reviews. Maybe things have changed. I have never taken a Greyhound in Florida, but when I see where the terminals are located and who is waiting for the buses (they truly look like derelicts and drug addicts and crazy people) I do not ever want to try it.

Marcelo Gomes' new ballet, Dear Life, premiered this past weekend in Sarasota. Here's a review from the Dec 2 edition of the local paper:

http://www.heraldtribune.com/news/20171202/dance-review-diversity-of-dance-in-sarasota-ballet-metropolitan-program

The following description of the ballet by Herald Tribune critic Carrie Seidman reminds me very much of the scenario of Gomes' recent ballet for ABT, After Effect - the only Gomes ballet that I've seen...young man has a heterosexual love, then becomes sexually confused, etc.

To four movements from Beethoven’s very recognizable Seventh Symphony, “The Man” (a bare-chested Ricardo Rhodes) flashes back on seminal moments with “His Love” (Victoria Hulland), the playful and sexuality-confused days of “His Youth” (Samantha Benoit, Logan Learned and Ivan Duarte) and an assortment of “His Memories,” represented by four other couples.

Did any BA members attend?