This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT in Detroit, Feb. 8-11, 2018

2 hours ago, abatt said:

Gorak has already done Romeo (2 yrs ago, with Copeland) at ABT. However, they did not cast him in it again the following year. 

In 2015, Cornejo was paired with Obratzova, which was sublime (one guest artist I'd love to see again). Copeland was paired with Simkin in 2016. Copeland seems to dance with Cornejo fairly often (Swan Lake in 2017), so Cornejo or Simkin might be the more likely pairing in 2018 than going back to Gorak - if R&J is on the Met schedule again.

3 hours ago, California said:

In 2015, Cornejo was paired with Obratzova, which was sublime (one guest artist I'd love to see again). Copeland was paired with Simkin in 2016. Copeland seems to dance with Cornejo fairly often (Swan Lake in 2017), so Cornejo or Simkin might be the more likely pairing in 2018 than going back to Gorak - if R&J is on the Met schedule again.

I agree - Copeland and Cornejo would be a better match in R&J than Copeland and Gorak, or even Simkin. I didn't catch Gorak's debut as Romeo but I believe I remember reading mixed reviews. Though he seems to have stalled in casting and his acting and partnering still needs work, I believe he has great potential that I hope with the right coaching will be met. I see a beautiful Romeo in him someday and Lane would make an exquisite Juliet. Even though I hated The Tempest, they were gorgeous together and had such natural chemistry that I can only imagine how that'll translate into R&J. Trenary and Cirio would also make a very nice R&J. 

Usually the ballets they tour with earlier in the year are an indication of what is to come at the Met, though I don't know if that's always been the case. 

Heads up! If you've already bought a ticket through the UMS (University Musical Society) then you should be getting an exclusive email with the cast list. They've (not surprisingly) added a Saturday matinee to the run. I can't post the list yet since it's not meant to public until November 2nd, which is also when the matinee tickets go on sale, but if anyone is looking to see certain performers, PM me and I'll let you know what date to get.

I'm not surprised that Copeland was given 2 shows (out of originally 4) because I think (and this is just speculation of course) that the Michigan Opera Theatre is trying to make up for the PR fiasco that occurred when ABT brought Sleeping Beauty to Detroit, and Copeland was only performing in 1 show initially, and as Florine. In the end they added an additional performance, 2 more Copeland Florines, and let people join a waiting list to swap tickets since by the time the cast was revealed 98% of the seats were sold out--they had even opened up the back mezzanine, which is very rare for the ballet/opera season!

Still, it's very disappointing Lane won't get to perform as Juliet. I was hoping since she had danced Aurora in Detroit they would have her on stage again.

The tickets I bought when they first came out ended up being for Seo/Stearns... I was pleasantly surprised as Seo as Aurora when they came to Detroit, so we'll see!

Edited by orangerose
On 11/3/2017 at 12:39 PM, orangerose said:

The tickets I bought when they first came out ended up being for Seo/Stearns... I was pleasantly surprised as Seo as Aurora when they came to Detroit, so we'll see!

I'm not a Seo fan, but I love her Juliet (granted her partner when I saw her was Gomes).  Not so sure of Stearns, but he was very good in Onegin, so maybe he's grown as an actor.

On 1/14/2018 at 10:08 PM, Rosa said:

Teuscher is replaced by Abrera on the 2/10 matinee (ABT's calendar has not been updated).

http://ums.org/performance/american-ballet-theatre/

ABT's calendar has now been updated with Abrera. While we don't know the reason for this change (maybe Teuscher is no longer available due to personal reasons, though she's dancing both the week before and the week after), I'm glad to see Abrera getting it as she is a far more senior dancer and with limited years and opportunities left. With no disrepect to Teuscher, whom I like very much, Abrera should have been cast all along.

http://www.abt.org/calendar.aspx?startdate=2/1/2018

1 hour ago, ABT Fan said:

ABT's calendar has now been updated with Abrera. While we don't know the reason for this change (maybe Teuscher is no longer available due to personal reasons, though she's dancing both the week before and the week after), I'm glad to see Abrera getting it as she is a far more senior dancer and with limited years and opportunities left. With no disrepect to Teuscher, whom I like very much, Abrera should have been cast all along.

http://www.abt.org/calendar.aspx?startdate=2/1/2018

Agreed. I do think that Teuscher could grow considerably as an artist from her work on R&J, but she'll have that chance in the spring, when she gets the Wednesday matinee.

8 minutes ago, LadyBubbles said:

It could be due to Lendorf's injury. I don't see why Whiteside couldn't partner Teuscher since he regularly partnered Part (and they're around the same height), but it could be related to that. Good for Abrera, however.

Was Teuscher scheduled to dance with Lendorf in Detroit? I can't remember the original casting. 

29 minutes ago, Fleurfairy said:

I was puzzled by Teuscher's casting as Juliet in general. She's a tall stately ballerina, which doesn't usually lend itself well to the youthful girlishness that Juliet requires. But we shall see.

I also was surprised they didn't go with someone who fits the more typical Juliet mold (namely, Sarah Lane), but Teuscher is rather willowy, even though she's tall, and I think she'll be capable of conveying a youthful innocence. 

19 hours ago, LadyBubbles said:

It could be due to Lendorf's injury. I don't see why Whiteside couldn't partner Teuscher since he regularly partnered Part (and they're around the same height), but it could be related to that. Good for Abrera, however.

I'd imagine it is less a height issue (due to the reasons you state) and more about rehearsal time. Some ballets are easier to match up partners last minute if necessary, but due to the nature of the partnering and lifts in R&J I'd imagine that is not an ideal situation.