This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Friday, April 14

dirac

Q&A with Erica Cornejo.

Q. Why did you decide to leave Boston Ballet?

A. It’s not that I’m retiring — I’ll keep dancing — but I’ve always been a person who likes to prepare for their future. And, of course, I won’t be able to dance forever. I wanted to prepare myself and have something for once I decide to stop dancing. I opened a place for the arts with my husband [former Boston Ballet principal dancer Carlos Molina].

Q&A with Kenneth Tindall.

You retired from dancing in 2015. What has the transition been like from dancer to choreographer?

It seems to have flown quite naturally; they are in a lot of ways the same world, so you know the language. The hard thing for me was solitude and finding myself spending the majority of my day working alone - quite a change from being surrounded by 40 odd colourful characters. Also when something that has been your identity and your life for so long changes and your daily routine is no longer the one you have practiced for most of your life, you question who you are now. It’s been a big learning curve.

Peter Anastos is retiring from Ballet Idaho.

Anastos plans to seek freelance choreography opportunities, he says. The national search is on for Anastos’ replacement. The board wants to have someone in place by January 2018 to transition the company’s leadership smoothly.

A review of Scottish Ballet by Barnett Serchuk for Broadway World.

Having been a fan of Scottish Ballet on previous trips to Scotland, seeing them last about eight years ago, I was curious to know how the company had evolved. Then it seemed to be a company in search of itself, some Balanchine, some Massine, some original works. Nothing memorable; on the other hand, nothing glaringly bad. Excellent dancers badly rehearsed, no artistic guidance, or so it seemed. Basically, a company on the verge-of something.

SAB student Gianna Reisen will make a new ballet for New York City Ballet's 2017-18 season.

Reisen has previously choreographed for SAB's Student Choreography Workshop and the New York Choreographic Institute. And for ballet master in chief Peter Martins to have picked her out from the many talented NYCI participants, we're guessing she's something special. But has any major company ever commissioned mainstage work from such a young artist?