Jump to content
This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

SFB 2017-18 season


Recommended Posts

I was in the Friends category of being able to buy singles before Nov. 16 and could not find the way to do it.  So I gave up, plus am super-busy at work, and bought tickets for most of what I wanted today.  I could not find a ticket I wanted for the Robbins series or for Unbound B, but, inevitably, subscribers start to exchange their tickets for other shows  after the holidays and good single tickets  become available.  I got Sleeping Beauty for the last  weekend shows on Saturday-Sunday and I expect  and hope that SFB will add one or two Sleeping Beauty performances on Feb. 1 and/or 2, 2018, as I would love to see as many casts as possible.  SFB has added performances in the past for Swan Lake and Cinderella when the tickets were selling well.  

Link to post
45 minutes ago, Josette said:

I was in the Friends category of being able to buy singles before Nov. 16 and could not find the way to do it.  So I gave up, plus am super-busy at work, and bought tickets for most of what I wanted today.  I could not find a ticket I wanted for the Robbins series or for Unbound B, but, inevitably, subscribers start to exchange their tickets for other shows  after the holidays and good single tickets  become available.  I got Sleeping Beauty for the last  weekend shows on Saturday-Sunday and I expect  and hope that SFB will add one or two Sleeping Beauty performances on Feb. 1 and/or 2, 2018, as I would love to see as many casts as possible.  SFB has added performances in the past for Swan Lake and Cinderella when the tickets were selling well.  

 

I was wondering about this after California's post, but I haven't been in the Friend category myself. In the past, did you use a special code in the shopping cart such as FRIEND(S)?

I was able to purchase single seats for a couple of the earlier programs recently, and choose my own seats, but I logged in first so the SFB website could see that I have one of the subscriber packages. The ability to choose one's own seats only became available at the end of October (I recall) for subscriber's additional purchases.

The SFB Friends page doesn't give away much info:

https://www.sfballet.org/support-us/become-a-member/friends

Edited by pherank
Link to post

I am not a subscriber. The last time I attempted a subscriber package, there was an insane extra charge, so I balked. It was the price of an extra ticket. As a Friend, I am supposed to get a free dress rehearsal. When I log in, the SFB site already recognizes me as a Friend. 

I am seeing Nijinsky twice and hope to get a third show in so I can see all casts. I hope for two more performances of Sleeping Beauty, program B of the new works, and two of the Robbins performances. 

 

Link to post
9 minutes ago, Josette said:

I am not a subscriber. The last time I attempted a subscriber package, there was an insane extra charge, so I balked. It was the price of an extra ticket. As a Friend, I am supposed to get a free dress rehearsal. When I log in, the SFB site already recognizes me as a Friend. 

I am seeing Nijinsky twice and hope to get a third show in so I can see all casts. I hope for two more performances of Sleeping Beauty, program B of the new works, and two of the Robbins performances. 

 

The extra charge is the Member level "donation" to SFB - that's how it is used. I don't have too much issue with making a donation. I just wish I could choose my own seats within a particular section.  ;)

But I suppose SFB is trying to figure out which subscribers are keeping their reserved seats and which ones are letting them go.

Link to post

I just received an email from SFB, stating that, due to public demand, they are adding a performance of The Sleeping Beauty on Friday, February 2, 2018, available for the general public to purchase tomorrow, Dec. 8, 2018.  Apparently donors and subscribers have about 10 hours before the general public to purchase tickets for the added performance.   That makes 11 performances.  There are still dates open on which other performances can be added.  

Link to post

Ballet education reminder from SFB:

"Want to deepen your engagement and prep for the season? Then come join us for our Ballet Insights Seminar. In this three-session course, you'll get to watch an up-close rehearsal of an excerpt from The Sleeping Beauty, meet an artist, observe or take a ballet class with Principal Dancer Jennifer Stahl, and get a preview of Unbound: A Festival of New Works

Join us January 22, 29, and February 5 to get an in-depth preview of what's coming up this Season."

https://www.sfballet.org/explore/classes-events/ballet-insights-sf-ballet-2018

Free Pointes of View Lecture Series
"Company artists and visiting scholars invite you to delve deeper into that evening's performance. You don't have to buy a ticket to attend—all ballet fans are welcome.

Join us on January 24 as Dance Educator Mary Wood and Artistic Director Helgi Tomasson share the roster of new artists joining the company and preview the 2018 Season."

https://www.sfballet.org/explore/programs/pov

Free Meet The Artist Interviews
"Our popular pre-performance Meet the Artist Interviews spotlight a work to be performed that evening/afternoon. These informative talks feature artists, including dancers, production staff, and choreographers in conversation with a moderator. Interviews are 30 minutes and take place on the Orchestra Level one hour prior to the performance. They are free and open to all ticket holders!"

https://www.sfballet.org/explore/programs/mta

Talk about Ballet With Tina LeBlanc
"What's it like to be Aurora in The Sleeping Beauty ? Come find out. Enjoy complimentary wine and cheese as former SF Ballet Principal Dancer Tina LeBlanc shares her memories. Join us on January 27 from 5–6:30 pm."

https://www.sfballet.org/ballet-talk

Edited by pherank
Link to post

We've also got a new podcast: To the Pointe (and its mini version Demi-Pointe) both available on the website (sfballet.org/explore/podcasts) and anywhere you listen to podcasts (Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Overcast, etc). 

We'd love to see you at any/all of these events this season--we're trying some new things (including our Exploring Serenade class in February) and would love your participation and feedback. 

Link to post
1 hour ago, apollosmuse said:

We've also got a new podcast: To the Pointe (and its mini version Demi-Pointe) both available on the website (sfballet.org/explore/podcasts) and anywhere you listen to podcasts (Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Overcast, etc). 

We'd love to see you at any/all of these events this season--we're trying some new things (including our Exploring Serenade class in February) and would love your participation and feedback. 

Thank you, Apollosmuse. I just listened to the Sleeping Beauty introduction - that was very professional.  ;)

A portion of the Ballet Basics class with Max Cauthorn is online too:
https://www.facebook.com/sfballet/videos/vb.27923251292/10155717025641293/?type=2&theater
[The audio is very quiet so turn up your speakers]

 

Link to post

A reminder from SFB:

Season Overview with Helgi Tomasson [FREE]
"Join us on January 24 from 6-6:45 pm as Dance Educator Mary Wood and Artistic Director Helgi Tomasson share the roster of new artists joining the company and preview the 2018 Season.

Enhance your performance experience. At Pointes of View lectures, Company artists and visiting scholars invite you to delve deeper into that evening's performance.

You don't have to buy a ticket to attend—all ballet fans are welcome!"

Location
War Memorial Opera House
Enter through the carriage entrance on the north side of the building, adjacent to the courtyard.

https://www.sfballet.org/explore/programs/pov

EDIT: I was just looking at the new SFB 2018 Repertory Season Guide, and for those keeping track - 41 Corps de Ballet dancers attended the SFB Ballet School, only 7 did not.

Edited by pherank
Link to post

Ostensibly a review SFB's Opening Night Gala performances, this article is perhaps more concerned with the question: "What is ballet now?"

Stars and Stripes
San Francisco Ballet's Gala night
--Rachel Howard

https://www.fjordreview.com/san-francisco-ballet-gala-2018/?utm_source=Fjord+Review

"[Justin Peck's Rodeo] Here we have a re-visioning of the music made famous by Agnes de Mille’s 1942 narrative ballet about a tough ranch girl finding true love because she finally puts on a dress. But here the story and the setting and the cowboy swagger are all jettisoned. In their place: pure, beautiful, ensemble male dancing. Lyrical dancing, often using steps typically reserved for women, like arabesque with arms held, “Giselle”-style, in third position—but never campy dancing. And a solo woman—the commanding, joyous Sofiane Sylve on Thursday night—who is not an object of lust so much as an inspiring spiritual presence: A woman who, as partnered by the tender dignity incarnate of Carlo di Lanno, is treated with equality and allowed to exercise her agency, warmly but assertively flinging di Lanno’s hand off her hip before enfolding him in a loving embrace."

"Ripening talents like Stahl’s give me confidence that SF Ballet will give a new works panoply of value to the dance world come April, even if more than half the commissions (a conservative estimate of failure for a new works festival) prove passing fancies or duds on arrival."

Link to post

Thanks for pointing to the link -- I'm always interested in what Howard has to say.  And I think she's put her finger on something fundamental with her comment about the high "failure rate" for new works.  We are served best by our willingness to try, and try again, even if the results are not what we would have hoped.  That's how we make room for the possibility of greatness.

Link to post

Mathilde Froustey's comments on the upcoming Programs 2 and 3:

"Working on three ballets at the same time gives me the amazing opportunity to explore different, sometimes even opposite, sides of my personality and of my vision of women.
In the next two weeks I’ll be feminine and (hopefully) graceful in Serenade, playful but strong in Paganini. I will also be Hedda Gabler, beautiful but dying under her frustrations and her maliciousness, stuck in a life she hates in Ibsen’s House.

I feel very close to all those women, like them I don’t fit in boxes:
I’m not feminine, not masculine, I’m not strong and not fragile. And the opposite."

https://www.instagram.com/p/Be-7sqGnIgZ/?taken-by=lapetitefrench_

Link to post
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...