This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

McGee Maddox in An American in Paris

NBoC principal McGee Maddox will be taking over the role of Jerry Mulligan for the North American tour of An American in Paris, beginning in mid-April. 

He will be with the show in Toronto on March 27 through April 29, 2018.  

Congratulations, McGee! 

Just to clarify, Josette--beginning this April? Wondering if he will be at SCFTA? It comes through April 2017. I believe I saw him in Romeo & Juliet last time (maybe he played Tybalt?) and thought he was compelling.

Yes, he will definitely be on stage at Segerstrom Hall.  Have my tickets in hand for two shows. 

ksk04: Yes, he was most certainly a memorable and compelling Tybalt in Ratmansky's Romeo and Juliet on opening night a few years ago at the Music Center (for me, he stole the show), and then became an ardent Romeo for a weekend matinee with Chelsy Meiss, and performed Tybalt later that evening. 

Edited by Josette
2 hours ago, naomikage said:

The Playbill article says "Maddox, a former Principal Dancer with The National Ballet of Canada" but I don't think he has left the company, I thought he had taken sabbatical. 

It is my understanding that he has left, but I may be wrong

9 minutes ago, naomikage said:

Thank you Josette and Katherine, so the male principal roster is rather thin now. 

There are now 5 male principals. In terms of numbers, 6 male principals has been fairly typical at NBOC, and I expect Gabriele Frola or Skylar Campbell will be promoted to principal in June to take it back there.

So it turns out I saw Maddox's last performance with the company in Ottawa in January. I'll say this: it was a good one.

Neither Campbell nor Frola is anywhere near as tall as Maddox, so their potential promotions would still leave a significant partnering gap. Also, the male principals are an injury-prone bunch, so I am inclined to think that six is too few, even if there have been as few as four in recent years, following the retirement of Aleksandar Antonijevic.

This is a very interesting development indeed.  All the best to Mr. Maddox, though I admit that he was never my favourite to watch.

So who to replace him?  I agree about Campell's height.  Partnering was something I felt he struggled with early on - this has most assuredly improved, however is it strong enough?

All of the first soloist men seem to be shorter... I enjoy all of them, don't get me wrong.  I probably enjoy watching these dancers more than I ever did Maddox... but if we are looking for a tall male principal it wouldn't be one of them.  As a side note I've always felt it curious that KK tended to hire tall women (e.g. Fischer), but short men (e.g. Tedaldi).

Should we consider second soloist potential?  I would look at Brendan Saye and Brent Parolin.  Perhaps not quite ready for principal, but these men are tall and with beautiful lines.

19 hours ago, volcanohunter said:

So it turns out I saw Maddox's last performance with the company in Ottawa in January. I'll say this: it was a good one.

Neither Campbell nor Frola is anywhere near as tall as Maddox, so their potential promotions would still leave a significant partnering gap. Also, the male principals are an injury-prone bunch, so I am inclined to think that six is too few, even if there have been as few as four in recent years, following the retirement of Aleksandar Antonijevic.

I agree, but I guess it's what they can afford. Karen Kain often casts lower-than-principal-rank males in principal roles. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw Saye as Siegfried in Swan Lake in June, for example. I guess if you can get them to do the principal work without the principal price tag...