This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Adam Sklute's Contract with Ballet West Has Been Renewed

Here is the press release:

BALLET WEST ANNOUNCES ADAM SKLUTE 
TO RENEW HIS CONTRACT AS ARTISTIC DIRECTOR

On the Cusp of his 10th Anniversary, the Board of Directors Endorse
Sklute’s Vision for the Future

SALT LAKE CITY, UT  December 13, 2016 – After 10 years of remarkable artistic and financial growth and increased international notoriety for Ballet West, the Board of Directors announced today they will renew Adam Sklute’s contract as exciting plans for the future of the organization unfold.

Sklute is the fifth Artistic Director for Ballet West, and his tenure has ushered in a veritable renaissance for the Company, marked by expanded and ambitious repertoire; elevated visibility both locally and internationally; unprecedented growth of the Ballet West Academy and an ongoing positive financial outlook. In 10 years, Sklute has presented over 55 World and Utah Premieres, taken the Company on multiple tours, including to New York’s City Center and Joyce Theaters, repeated visits to Washington D.C.’s Kennedy Center, Chicago, Dallas, Victoria BC, and, most recently, Cuba.  Sklute also brought the Company international notoriety with BBC Worldwide Production’s two season television docu-drama Breaking Pointe, which continues to be syndicated around the world.

“Ten years ago, I stepped out of the airport in Utah for the first time and fell in love with the mountains, Salt Lake City, our unique and diverse community, and the overall love and respect it has for the arts.” said Sklute. “I found a ballet company of great history and vast potential, and have been inspired ever since to make Ballet West the very best it can be." Sklute adds, "the more we achieve, the more goals I find possible.”

In August, Sklute took on the dual interim title of CEO and Executive Director, and with the launch of an international search for a new Executive Director this January, he will again return exclusively to the role of Artistic Director. “My time as CEO and Artistic Director has allowed the Board and me to reflect on our phenomenal growth and our future. Together, we have had several months to assess our standing and methodically look at strategies for advancing our products.”

“Under Sklute’s leadership, Ballet West has grown as a beacon of creativity and excellence, developing captivating artistry that has built loyal audiences,” said Brian Powell, Chairman of the Board of Directors. “As the demand for world renowned ballet increases and our patrons evolve, the Board and I are confident that Adam’s savvy as a creative and business leader will help drive Ballet West to even greater heights.”

Sklute said that moving into the future, he has a number of very specific new initiatives and projects which he is excited to execute.  Of most significance is the premiere of next December’s new sets and costumes for Mr. C’s The Nutcracker, a two-year, multi-million-dollar production made possible thanks to the generosity of the George S. and Dolores Doré Eccles Foundation. Additionally, Sklute is exploring the creation of new sets and costumes for both Cinderella and Swan Lake, a newly conceived production of Carmina Burana, and several large scale international touring initiatives. He is also laying the groundwork for a capitol campaign to build dormitories for the Ballet West Academy, and formal partnerships with local high schools to help with the increased enrollment of students from around the world.

“According to the P.L. Travers story, Mary Poppins always knew when her work was done and when it was time to move on.”  Says Sklute, “I will be at Ballet West until my work is done.  I know it’s not done yet.”