This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

"Fugue des Willis".

cubanmiamiboy

Just because I have always been very interested in how the XIX century version of Giselle might had looked like, both in its characters development and original musical form. And because I find fugues fascinating...? (The fugue starts @ 4:06)

Edited by cubanmiamiboy

English National Ballet, unlike most companies, incorporates the fugue in the excellent Mary Skeaping version.  As it happens, the next revival is in January, just three months time.  With the pound at its lowest level against the US dollar for years, maybe you'd like to come over and take a look, you could even select a Cuban cast. :)

7 hours ago, California said:

I'm hoping PNB brings back their historic reconstruction for the 2017-18 season. 

Me too.  There are several artists in the area that have been working with themes from Giselle, in various ways -- I'd love to see them in relationship to this beautiful source text.

On 11/4/2016 at 6:55 AM, Mashinka said:

English National Ballet, unlike most companies, incorporates the fugue in the excellent Mary Skeaping version.  As it happens, the next revival is in January, just three months time.  With the pound at its lowest level against the US dollar for years, maybe you'd like to come over and take a look, you could even select a Cuban cast. :)

Mashinka...in 1954 Skeaping was hired by the Alonsos and she set for Havana, where she staged both Giselle and the completed four acts Swan Lake. This production also included the "Fugue des Willis". Sadly, the production was short lived...to be replaced by one staged by Dolin, which has more or less been kept intact ever since.

Below: Skeaping during the staging of Giselle. Havana 1954.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10154340582689191&id=647664190

Edited by cubanmiamiboy

53 minutes ago, cubanmiamiboy said:

Here's Ratmansky's take on this "lost" piece of Giselle.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10157295743974191&id=647664190

@cubanmiamiboy did you catch the Bolshoi Giselle broadcast? In addition to the fugure, I thought you might have enjoyed seeing the straight diagonal of turns (instead of a circle of piques) at the end of Giselle's Act I solo....

On 1/26/2020 at 4:39 PM, Drew said:

@cubanmiamiboy did you catch the Bolshoi Giselle broadcast? In addition to the fugure, I thought you might have enjoyed seeing the straight diagonal of turns (instead of a circle of piques) at the end of Giselle's Act I solo....

Hi Drew! Sorry for this delayed response. Hadn't visited the site in a while. So...of course I saw the wonderful recon with both the recreated Fugue and Spessivtzeva's diagonal. It was great! And here's the Fugue. Enjoy !