This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT 2017 Spring Season at The Met

6 hours ago, naomikage said:

David Hallberg to return to the ballet stage in The Australian Ballet’s Coppélia in December at Sydney Opera House

https://deborahjones.me/2016/11/20/david-hallberg-to-return-to-the-ballet-stage-in-the-australian-ballets-coppelia/

Great news. So maybe Hallberg will fill in some of the TBA slots. 

This is great news.

I assume Hallberg is trying to take things one step at a time, but if he returns to ABT, then I do hope to see him!!!

Wish him the best in any case.

9 hours ago, abatt said:

I suspect that ABT may be saving those Onegin TBAs to see if Hallberg can make a return.  His partner during the last round of Onegins was also Hee Seo.  Hope things go well for him. 

Hallberg is one of the greats and I fervently hope to see him back with ABT this spring. :crying:, I guess I'll have to put up with Hee Seo if thats who he's paired up with, but I certainly wont be happy about it :angry2:

I saw Hee during the last run of Onegin, and I thought that she did a good job.  Of course, if I had to prioritize,Hee would certainly not be my first choice.  However, since this is a "long skirt" role that doesn't require strong technique, Onegin is more suitable for Hee than most of the roles she performs.

Fantastic season's schedule at the ABT. Really excited about  SOUVENIR D’UN LIEU CHER . Was never much into Ratmansky, but now he has be enthralled.

On David Hallberg, let me rephrase, let me just say that I hope that one year's rehab in Australia will have done him a lot more good than his previous long and ultimately unsuccessful rehab stints in another big country. We will find out very soon on Tuesday, really looking forward to good news and his ultimate return to the ABT!

On 12/27/2016 at 3:36 PM, Fleurdelis said:

Calvin should be a prince, not a sneaky villain. Siegfried would have been a much more natural fit for him. Hope it happens someday.

I agree Siegfried would (will? fingers crossed!) be a more natural fit, but on the bright side it is a good role, both in terms of learning to develop a charismatic character (a lot of his featured roles thus far have been pure dance) and in terms of some nice dancing, and he seems very excited about it!

Besides stretching oneself is good for a dancer (no cheesy pun intended--I can't think how else to put it!)

Kudos to him! I look forward to seeing him in it. We could use some more dancers who can really sell purple Rothbart! I wish him the best of luck!

2 hours ago, aurora said:

I agree Siegfried would (will? fingers crossed!) be a more natural fit, but on the bright side it is a good role, both in terms of learning to develop a charismatic character (a lot of his featured roles thus far have been pure dance) and in terms of some nice dancing, and he seems very excited about it!

Besides stretching oneself is good for a dancer (no cheesy pun intended--I can't think how else to put it!)

Kudos to him! I look forward to seeing him in it. We could use some more dancers who can really sell purple Rothbart! I wish him the best of luck!

I think of the role of Purple Rothbart as a stepping stone towards larger roles. I remember when Marcelo Gomes first danced it and then leapt into principal roles the next year. I don't remember the others who were on that trajectory, but I know there were some. Sterling Baca danced the role last season and then became a principal dancer at Corella's Pennsylvania Ballet. 

1 minute ago, angelica said:

I think of the role of Purple Rothbart as a stepping stone towards larger roles. I remember when Marcelo Gomes first danced it and then leapt into principal roles the next year. I don't remember the others who were on that trajectory, but I know there were some. Sterling Baca danced the role last season and then became a principal dancer at Corella's Pennsylvania Ballet. 

I agree, at least it can and has been used that way on more than one occasion.

I can't remember for sure--Maybe Cory? Whiteside is one of the principals who does both and may have picked it up before Siegfried.

David may have even done it before Siegfried (though I really hated him as purple Rothbart!)

David Hallberg returning to ABT for the spring season.  What a great start to 2017!

http://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/03/arts/dance/david-hallberg-returns-to-american-ballet-theater.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Farts&action=click&contentCollection=arts&region=stream&module=stream_unit&version=latest&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=sectionfront

3 minutes ago, Barbara said:

This makes me so happy! Now just to find out his roles and I'm there! He's going to get a loud ovation when he steps on the Met stage!

Notice that some of the ABT casting has changed.  For example, Whiteside is taken out of the Giselle with Murphy in the lead, and the spot is now TBA.  Presumably that spot may go to Hallberg.  Also, the casting for the Gala Whipped Cream show is now TBA for certain roles, so I'm guessing they may also give that to Hallberg.  I feel pretty certain that the Onegin's with Seo will also be Hallberg. 

A release:

DAVID HALLBERG TO RETURN FOR PERFORMANCES AT

THE METROPOLITAN OPERA HOUSE, SPRING 2017

American Ballet Theatre Principal Dancer David Hallberg will return to perform with the Company for the 2017 Metropolitan Opera House season.  It was announced today by Artistic Director Kevin McKenzie. 

Hallberg, who last performed with American Ballet Theatre in June 2014, withdrew from performances with the Company in the Fall of 2014 due to a recurring foot injury.  His scheduled performances for the 2017 Spring season will be announced at a later date

“I am thrilled to be returning to ABT for their season at the Met and am eager to begin rehearsals once again with the company I love dearly,” said Hallberg.  “I have learned a great deal from my time away and look forward to sharing the stage again with dancers I so greatly respect.”  

“I am so pleased to welcome David back home to ABT, “ said McKenzie.  “We are all excited to see him once again on our stage."

Subscriptions for American Ballet Theatre’s 2017 Spring Season at the Metropolitan Opera House are on sale now and available by phone at 212-362-6000, or online at ABT’s website www.abt.org.

2 hours ago, abatt said:

David Hallberg returning to ABT for the spring season.  What a great start to 2017!

http://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/03/arts/dance/david-hallberg-returns-to-american-ballet-theater.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Farts&action=click&contentCollection=arts&region=stream&module=stream_unit&version=latest&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=sectionfront

Notice that some of the ABT casting has changed.  For example, Whiteside is taken out of the Giselle with Murphy in the lead, and the spot is now TBA.  Presumably that spot may go to Hallberg.  Also, the casting for the Gala Whipped Cream show is now TBA for certain roles, so I'm guessing they may also give that to Hallberg.  I feel pretty certain that the Onegin's with Seo will also be Hallberg. 

How awesome would a Murphy/Hallberg/Abrera Giselle be?  

That Saturday will be ballet heaven for me--finally seeing Sarah Lane as Giselle for the matinee, and Gillian's ABT debut of Giselle with Hallberg and Abrera for the evening?

I think adding Hallberg to the lineup of the 3 company presentation of Jewels this summer would not be beneficial.  The whole point of having POB, Bolshoi and NYCB perform is to show the Balanchine diaspora to companies of varying style and backgrounds.  As an American who received most of his training in the US, Hallberg's appearance with the Bolshoi would not illuminate Russian training and sensibilities the way that someone who actually trained in Russia and has danced their entire career in Russia.

4 hours ago, abatt said:

I think adding Hallberg to the lineup of the 3 company presentation of Jewels this summer would not be beneficial.  The whole point of having POB, Bolshoi and NYCB perform is to show the Balanchine diaspora to companies of varying style and backgrounds.  As an American who received most of his training in the US, Hallberg's appearance with the Bolshoi would not illuminate Russian training and sensibilities the way that someone who actually trained in Russia and has danced their entire career in Russia.

Good point.  I was thinking, though, that since he's been off the stage for so long, his appearance would certainly be a selling point.

6 minutes ago, sandik said:

Good point.  I was thinking, though, that since he's been off the stage for so long, his appearance would certainly be a selling point.

At this point, I have a severe case of Hallberg Deprivation, and am so excited that he's coming back. I'd go to see him in almost anything. I hope that ABT gets its spring season casting sorted out soon, because casts have been shuffled around so much I may have to change all six performances of my six-performance subscription!