This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Four Giselle's "Pas Seul" from the late 50's.

Trying to go as back as I could to get the essence of the sequence of sautees on pointe.  Ballerinas are Alicia Markova, Ludmilla Tcherina, Alicia Alonso and Beryl Grey. (Tcherina's, Alonso's and Grey's performances are live). What I find AMAZING is how much space they cover during the diagonal, and how LONG the sequence feels-particularly in that of Alonso-, which means that the ballerina is putting a greater strain on her pointe and ankle.  (Nowadays sometimes if you blink the whole thing is over...sigh).  Interesting to also note that only Markova and Alonso opt to end the variation in the Spessivtseva's way-(with the diagonal of pirouettes)-instead of Pavlova's-(the now common round of pique turns).

Edited by cubanmiamiboy
4 minutes ago, Jane Simpson said:

I don't think that's Beryl Grey in the last clip - probably Liane Dayde from the Paris Opera, with Michel Renault.

Thanks for the note.  I took the veracity of the clip as noted for which it comes from the Pathe archives, which seem to be well curated. I will try to find more info..