This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

2016-2017 Casting

Oxana Skorik, very happily, is listed for several performances this month.

(performances listed under her photo)

https://www.mariinsky.ru/en/company/ballet/principals/baleriny/skorik1/

I continue to feel that she is perhaps the most basically lovely and graceful dancer, after Ulyana Lopatkina, that I've ever seen live. Occasionally noted for technical inconsistencies, she also has been capable of some of the finest technical prowess that I've seen.

Another one of the Mariinsky's loveliest dancers, Maria Shirinkina, is not yet listed, although her husband, Vladimir Shklyarov, also not yet listed for any future performances, did open the current Mariinsky season. I'm hoping that we'll be seeing much more of both of them at the Mariinsky.

Since I've mentioned graceful airiness at the Mariinsky, one ballerina outside the Mariinsky, the Bolshoi's Anna Nikulina, continues to impress me very much with her similar loveliness, as did the former Bolshoi ballerina, Svetlana Lunkina.

Edited by Buddy
addition

Yes, this does seem to finally be the case, Jayne.

I haven't read the article, but this is the first sentence google translation.

"Prime Ballet [Principal Dancer?] of the Mariinsky Theatre after fourteen seasons in the St. Petersburg troupe joined the Bavarian State Ballet and moved to Munich with his wife, ballerina Maria Shirinkina and son."

http://www.sobaka.ru/city/theatre/49209#fb

I hope that they will return to St. Petersburg as much as possible. Vladimir Shklyarov being given opening season performances at the Mariinsky does seem encouraging.

Looking around the ballet internet after an incredibly beautiful visit for a month to southern Africa, I've discovered (a completely new name for me) Nika Tskhvitaria. She apparently graduated from the Vaganova in 2015, went to the Stanislavsky and is now with the Mariinsky. Among other things she has been cast as Princess Florine (Bluebird duet, Sleeping Beauty). She seems to be absolutely lovely and youthfully alive.

Another remarkable young dancer, who won second place in the Vaganova competition, is Eleonara Sevenard. She danced the Odile duet (Swan Lake) at the competition's closing gala and already seems to be a star, comfortably and wonderfully performing a segment from perhaps the most coveted role in all ballet -- Odette/Odile.

The Vaganova and Mariinsky seem to produce incredible artists like apples on a tree. It's quite amazing and quite wonderful. Anyone know any other new names to keep an eye on?

Elena Evseyeva has recently been cast as Giselle. She is a beautifully alive dancer, not necessarily known for subtlety of dance, but still having the Mariinsky fineness.  She is continually showing an ever more apparent and impressive depth and sympathy of portrayal. I was very taken by her lovely and heart touching rendering  in The Bronze Horseman and she now has brought an embracing soulfulness to her Giselle.

[thanks to Sophia at Dansomanie for the background information about Nika Tskhvitaria] 

Edited by Buddy
slight additions made

It seems like Oxana Skorik is dancing a different lead almost every week. These are the ones that I noticed in November.

The only Swan Lake of the month -- Nov. 15

Sleeping Beauty -- Nov. 23

Giselle -- Nov. 26

Her 'demise scene' from Giselle appears to be taking on a great deal of character, as much as she's exhibited in quite awhile. It has a more subtle, yet artistically compelling depth. Her dancing remains as beautiful as ever and seems to even improve with each new reprise.

I would compare her's to some of the finest Giselle renderings that I've seen -- those of Alina Cojocaru and Ekaterina Osmolkina for instance. 

Casting is up for the London performances.

http://www.roh.org.uk/about/mariinsky

(click on performances)

(thanks to Don Q Fan at Balletco for this info)

Yekaterina Osmolkina is getting two Swan Lakes. This is so nice to see.

There's an opinion that no Swan Lakes are what kept her from becoming a Principal. I think that she actually danced her first as a guest with the Royal Ballet in London a few years ago. She's done so since at the Mariinsky.

Kristina Shapran would have been my guess for next Principal, but she's sort of disappeared. Maternity leave? Promoting her would be consistent with the promoting of younger dancers at the Mariinsky and Bolshoi. Sergei Felin at the Bolshoi deviated somewhat when he made several dancers Principals upon his arrival who had been around for quite awhile.

If Yekaterina Osmolkina were made Principal she would be one of the older guard. It would really be nice to see. One of the factors is no space at the top, maybe. 

She's such a lyrically beautiful dancer ! 

Edited by Buddy

Daria Pavlenko -- Mariinsky Principal Dancer

With all the fine new talent being featured she’s one ballerina who’s been around for quite awhile who I think does remarkably well in comparison. She’s listed the beginning of this month for several Sacres and two Symphonies in Three Movements. This seems as usual. The most noteworthy role that I’ve seen her listed for in the last year or so is Anna Karenina.

The last time I saw her was at a Festival several years ago where she was in a divertissement and seemed as beautiful and fit as ever. The most brilliant that I’ve ever seen her was in two Giselles in Washington DC years ago. I still consider these to be two of the finest ballet performances that I’ve ever seen.

It would be so wonderful to see more of her.

Edited by Buddy
typo corrections