This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

I was there and agree with Canbelto! It is rare to hear even a decent Isolde and Nina Stemme is very good with just very minor issues almost not worth mentioning because she is great in the bulk of the role. In her Liebestod I would have loved a stronger "Welt-Atems..." (forte) and longer held "Lust" (piano....last word).....but that is being picky when most of the role was sung excellently, in my opinion. 

Pape was terrific also. He showed how it is done.

The production is a bit "wacky," but I sort of liked it. It created action as much as you can in this opera I joke is "a 5 hour opera where nothing happens!"

Bart, I think Isolde lies in a sweet spot in Stemme's current voice. She's 53 and the upper register isn't completely steady but the middle register remain warm and firm. I think the Met did justice to this opera (and they haven't really done much Wagner in recent years. Going for quality over quantity with Wagner is something I can get behind though.)