This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Wednesday, September 21

dirac

An interview with Jacques d'Amboise.

“Balanchine let me do anything I want. The other dancers used to complain…I’d go to Balanchine and say, ‘I’m going to do a movie, I won’t be here for three months’…I never asked him,” D’Amboise says. His freedom was such that his wife had to point out to him that not everyone was treated thusly. It wasn’t until after Balanchine’s death, in 1983, that he learned that actually his unilateral way sometimes angered the great choreographer. “All that time Balanchine came in and he would complain about you,” D’Amboise says Betty Cage, the legendary company manager, eventually told him. But Balanchine never interfered because, he said, according to Cage, Balanchine did not want to create a situation where “the patriarch is telling the son ‘you must do this.’ “ 

The Russian Grand Ballet performs in Connecticut.

According to the company, the Russian Grand Ballet was founded by graduates “from the great Russian choreographic schools of Moscow, St. Petersburg and Kiev. The principal dancers of the company came from the upper ranks of the great ballet companies and academies. Today, the Russian Grand Ballet Theatre is its own institution, with over 50 brilliant dancers,” the company says.

The Suzanne Farrell Ballet will close down after the current season.

The company, which has performed annually at the Kennedy Center since 2001 and toured extensively, will close, and Ms. Farrell, its artistic director, will take on a new role as a teaching artist with the Kennedy Center, which plans to add more dance studios as part of an expansion that is scheduled to open in 2018. Ms. Farrell has begun informing her dancers.

Related.

A major contribution arising from the Suzanne Farrell Ballet is the Balanchine Preservation Initiative, to preserve rarely performed works by the choreographer. Farrell formally established the initiative in 2006, although she had been reviving such works since 2001. For the upcoming performances, her dancers will assay an updated production of Balanchine’s “Gounod Symphony.” The ballet, with a cast of more than 30 dancers, will have new costumes and “a new concept,” Farrell said.

Reviews of New York City Ballet's gala and related items.

The New York Times

At Tuesday’s “Ballet and Fashion” gala, given by New York City Ballet, the best-dressed people onstage were the four who had choreographed the evening’s world premieres (Annabelle Lopez Ochoa, Lauren Lovette, Justin Peck, Peter Walker), and the solo guest cellist (Sara Sant’Ambrogio) who accompanied one of them. The whole gala, a trivial event, had a back-to-front quality of misplaced priorities and unresolved ideas. None of the ballets were important. Three of them actually suffered from their unflattering designs.

The Financial Times

Lovette’s 17-member For Clara answers the Schumann score’s every extravagant gesture. The intimate moments may overplay the angst, but the ensemble translates feeling into pulse and propulsion into pattern to stretch the soul-searching into ambience. Flocks of dancers in Narciso Rodrigo’s clean, airy designs rush forward, swarm in circles, and break into a beautiful chaos of simultaneous solos. Lovette works for her Schumann; she earns him.

The Wall Street Journal

“Look what you started,” Mr. Martins told Ms. Parker at this year’s party, held Tuesday at the David H. Koch Theater. “It’s never going to end.”

Guest of a Guest

Last night, the New York City Ballet hosted its fifth annual Fall Fashion Gala at Lincoln Center, celebrating some major costume collaborations with designers Rosie Assoulin, Narciso Rodriguez, Dries van Noten, and Jason Wu. Gala chairs Ricki Lander, Noriko “Daisy Lin” Maeda, and Sarah Jessica Parker led the evening,.....

An interview with Sergei Polunin.

“I don’t really feel good when I drink anymore,” confesses the 26-year-old, who once remained blacked out even as friends shaved his eyebrows. Besides, he adds, “I need the energy.”

He’s just flown in from LA, where he had dinner with his idol, whose name Polunin has tattooed on his left forearm: Mickey Rourke.