This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

World Ballet Day LIVE 2016 - October 4, 2016

18 minutes ago, miliosr said:

I gave up on the World Ballet Day and San Francisco Ballet Web sites and watched the San Francisco Ballet via their Facebook page. That was the only way to watch uninterrupted by those sudden jumps to something that already happened.

On the positive side, the Facebook stream that was being pushed by marketing, that has turned out to work very well. I just find the text and emoji interface to be a big distraction. I'd rather read comments after the segments rather than watch them compete for my attention with the video stream. Too chaotic.

3 minutes ago, pherank said:

I just find the text and emoji interface to be a big distraction. I'd rather read comments after the segments rather than watch them compete for my attention with the video stream. Too chaotic.

I used to fight this but I've given in and am just happy to glean a few nice moments here and there. LIked the rehearsals with Helgi Tomasson – and the moment he was showing Sofiane Sylvie and Tiit Helimets how Balanchine designed a particular turn.

But I enjoyed the Bolshoi segment best which I only stumbled on by accident. Classes at several levels and interviews with interesting teachers like Vera Kulikova (I wished I'd caught the name of the one in the Chanel jacket who looked like Elizabeth David) and a company class with the relentlessly tireless Boris Akimov. Biggest surprise was a rehearsal of Emeralds with a young Brazilian dancer, David Motta Soares (first couple), and Ana Turazashvili's willowy second solo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxaJOuwMLmY

Long promotions of Bolshoi cinema presentations this year which include Ratmansky's Bright Stream on the otherwise Grigorovich-heavy schedule.

1 hour ago, Quiggin said:

But I enjoyed the Bolshoi segment best which I only stumbled on by accident. Classes at several levels and interviews with interesting teachers like Vera Kulikova (I wished I'd caught the name of the one in the Chanel jacket who looked like Elizabeth David) and a company class with the relentlessly tireless Boris Akimov. Biggest surprise was a rehearsal of Emeralds with a young Brazilian dancer, David Motta Soares (first couple), and Ana Turazashvili's willowy second solo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxaJOuwMLmY

Oooh, Emeralds!  I'll look for this!

3 hours ago, Helene said:

They're switched to YouTube's newly-launched rival, Facebook Livestreaming.

Probably, because of the fees? WorldBalletDay should be registered as ORG site, since this is a non-profit site(organization). Then, they can avoid some fees.  :angel_not:

Thank you Naomikage...I had an easier time watching live last year on youtube. But this year I only had a tiny window in which to watch anything live in any case -- some of the Bolshoi company class footage and part of the Netherlands Dance theater bit that was included in the Bolshoi segment. Hope to catch up on company youtube channels later this week.

Edited by Drew

Pre-recorded segments and some live segments that are up on the company Facebook Pages should be available until at least November 4:

Western Australian Ballet -- Company class

Ballets de Monte Carlo -- Company class

Nederlands Dans Theater -- Lightfoot rehearsal

Birmingham Royal Ballet -- scroll to see two short clips

Dutch National Ballet -- "La Bayadere" rehearsal, interviews

English National Ballet -- Scroll to see the making of Akram Khan's "Giselle"

Finnish National Ballet -- Scroll to see the three segments totally around 18 minutes

Norwegian National Ballet -- Tour of studios, rehearsals

Polish National Ballet -- Interviews, "La Bayadere" rehearsal

Scottish Ballet -- Scroll to see rehearsal of Sophie Laplane's "Sibilo"

Stuttgart Ballet -- Rehearsal of the "Taming of the Shrew"

Royal Danish Ballet -- Rehearsal of "Giselle"

Royal Swedish Ballet -- Mini tour starting from the roof of the Opera House and rehearsal, including from Frank Andersen's and Dinna Bjorn's reconstruction of Bournonville's "Pontinella"? a ballet not performed since the original and reconstructed from Bournonville's notes.  The Swedish Royal Ballet's website is down, and I can't find any references to it or the contemporary ballet at the end of the rehearsal by an Israeli choreographer and in which there is lots of shrieking.

Vienna State Ballet -- Rehearsal of Proietto's "Blanc"

Boston Ballet -- Company class, with Christopher Stowell as guest teacher

Miami City Ballet -- Rehearsal of "Divertimento No. 15" and interviews -- move the slider/timer button to about 10 mins to see the video

Ballet Nacional Sodre -- Workshops and rehearsal (in Spanish)

Pacific Northwest Ballet -- Scroll to see excerpts from Opening Night (Millepied's "# Movements" and "Appassionata" and Balanchine's "Symphony in C")

Note:  some are lagging, and I've gone by the descriptions on the Facebook Pages.  Also, others don't have a link to the actual video, so you have to find the page and scroll for the video.

San Francisco Ballet promises that the recording will be published to its Facebook Page, YouTube channel, and website page:

https://www.sfballet.org/season/events/2016-world-ballet-day

Links are embedded in the second post to Facebook Pages of companies who've yet to link to their segments.

As part of their participation, or so it was titled, the Suzanne Farrell Ballet posted a twelve-minute rehearsal clip initially on Facebook, then in a private Youtube video, but now publicly available on the Kennedy Center website:

http://www.kennedy-center.org/video/index/A92852

This shows parts of the allegretto moderato second movement of the seldom-seen Gounod Symphony, with a different principal couple from the pair we saw in the Skirball Center of NYU on September 11; I can't say whether it was live-streamed on October 4, but this clip has been edited, so I doubt it.

Edited by Jack Reed
On 10/4/2016 at 9:21 PM, Helene said:

Royal Swedish Ballet -- Mini tour starting from the roof of the Opera House and rehearsal, including from Frank Andersen's and Dinna Bjorn's reconstruction of Bournonville's "Pontinella"? a ballet not performed since the original and reconstructed from Bournonville's notes.  The Swedish Royal Ballet's website is down, and I can't find any references to it or the contemporary ballet at the end of the rehearsal by an Israeli choreographer and in which there is lots of shrieking.

The contemporary piece is by Sharon Eyal, who started her career with Batsheva, and has since gone on to create her own company.

The Bolshoi stream has finally been posted, but to the theater's new video platform, which requires registration. The Bolshoi appears to be moving away from YouTube for its major undertakings, perhaps because dowloading videos and circumventing geo-blocks there is relatively easy. I would expect overall viewership to fall as a result. For one thing, it's impossible to stumble upon the stream.

http://media.bolshoi.ru/play/

17 hours ago, volcanohunter said:

The Bolshoi stream has finally been posted, but to the theater's new video platform, which requires registration. The Bolshoi appears to be moving away from YouTube for its major undertakings, perhaps because dowloading videos and circumventing geo-blocks there is relatively easy. I would expect overall viewership to fall as a result. For one thing, it's impossible to stumble upon the stream.

http://media.bolshoi.ru/play/

This is more about general policy in Russia - away from Western tech company solutions (YouTube is not an open platform, for one thing, but even if it was truly open and free, it's unlikely the Russian or Chinese governments would want their citizens using platforms that they can't control every aspect of).

On 13.10.2016 at 1:58 PM, pherank said:

This is more about general policy in Russia - away from Western tech company solutions (YouTube is not an open platform, for one thing, but even if it was truly open and free, it's unlikely the Russian or Chinese governments would want their citizens using platforms that they can't control every aspect of).

I don't doubt it. The Russian government makes noises about it regularly, although I doubt it would be easy to put that genie back in the bottle. Yesterday the Bolshoi attempted a live stream on its new platform, something it has been doing for several years on YouTube for its domestic audience. By all accounts, this time it was an unmitigated disaster, and on social media infuriated Russians were baying for a return to YouTube. :)

1 hour ago, volcanohunter said:

By all accounts, this time it was an unmitigated disaster, and on social media infuriated Russians were baying for a return to YouTube. :)

The technology behind a YouTube or Amazon is immense. Just the hardware alone, in state-of-the-art data centers (multiple) with 24/7 air-conditioning to keep the servers from overheating, costs insane amounts of money. A government could certainly afford to play on that level, especially one that doesn't need voter approval of budgets - they could eventually get to something similar (that's what the Chinese are doing fairly successfully). The sad part is that it's all about control of information and people for those governments, and nothing more. There's no vision behind any of the developments, they're just trying to shadow (and counteract) any technology being developed in the West. A policy of paranoia isn't very glorious.

Edited by pherank

Presumably the Bolshoi wouldn't require a setup as massive as that of YouTube or Amazon, but I would be interested in finding out exactly how much technology goes into Met Opera On Demand, which houses an immense audio and video library of complete performances but doesn't do live streaming, or Wiener Staatsoper Livestreaming, which streams about 50 performances per season, as well as housing a small on-demand video library. The Royal Opera House livestreams a fair amount of content each season on YouTube, but unlike the Met or the Vienna State Opera, it doesn't charge money for it, so presumably it does not need a custom-built platform, and I don't doubt that using YouTube gives the ROH the largest possible online audience. Given its very active presence on YouTube, I'm not at all surprised that the Royal Ballet's World Ballet Day segment is by far the most popular there.